Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Solids and gagging?

LO is 8 months old and we have been trying the puffs and some other table food, broken up really small.  He gags every time.  To the point it looks like he is choking (I'm sure he isn't, the food is in small peices).  Anyone else go through this?  Is it normal in the beginning? Or do you think some thing could be wrong with his gag reflex?

Re: Solids and gagging?

• We had the same issue with DD when we started giving her puffs.  It took a couple of weeks before she stopped gagging on them.  FWIW, she still gags on food sometimes but can usually move it to a better place in her mouth rather than just throwing up all the time like she use to.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Our 8mth old does this too. He used to gag on the puffs but within the last week it's much better. That and the cheese puffs (cut into very tiny pieces) are the only two things he really doesn't gag on. We've tried a little bread and he does ok, but anything else he gags and sometimes vomits after. I think it's a phase. I'm going to ask the pedi about it at his 9mth check-up.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • oh yes... it's why I decided an all-out BLW approach wasn't right for me/us.  If she's gagging and vomiting on puffs and mum-mums... I could only imagine how it would be with more substantial food!

• We're doing BLW and LO has been getting table food since 5.5 months. LO definitely gagged a lot on food in the beginning. But in the past few weeks, while LO still gags sometimes, he's stopped vomiting it back, just gagging it until it is in a better place for him to chew on it. If it's something that is not chewable for him, he spits it out. I find we have less gagging with larger foods that he can hold and chew bits off of than small foods that get lost in his mouth and get swallowed w/o being chewed on first.

I see this as a part of learning to eat and it actually reassures me that when he does try to swallow something too big, that he can gag it back up. As he's been doing this, I'm seeing more chewing and less gagging. It's kinda like learning to crawl and taking a few headers into the floor or learning to walk and falling on his butt. Over time he learns from these experiences and gets better. 

• Just curious, when did you ladies decide the go ahead on giving table food? In particular, why cheese puffs?
  • My LO gags far less on real food than on puffs.
  • imagecmurphy09:
    Just curious, when did you ladies decide the go ahead on giving table food? In particular, why cheese puffs?

Puffs doesn't mean cheese puffs (like Cheetohs).  Puffs are Cheerios sized things that dissolve and are supposed to be easier for learning to chew.  Our ped recommended them at 6mo to help DD work on her pincher grasp.  We didn't start any table food until she started refusing pur?es at 9mo. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • imageelainelbuck:

imagecmurphy09:
    Just curious, when did you ladies decide the go ahead on giving table food? In particular, why cheese puffs?

Puffs doesn't mean cheese puffs (like Cheetohs).  Puffs are Cheerios sized things that dissolve and are supposed to be easier for learning to chew.  Our ped recommended them at 6mo to help DD work on her pincher grasp.  We didn't start any table food until she started refusing purées at 9mo. 

Okay, gotcha. I've seen the graduate puffs now I know the purpose :
  • I was worried about gagging (and choking, I'm doing BLW), but was told not to stress about it, so that dd doesn't get stressed. The reason for the gagging is that babies gag reflex is further forward than an adults, and when the are first learning about chewing/gumming food it triggers the reflex reaction and makes them gag. They will all grow out f it at their own pace and as they get more experienced with food. Scary at times though, isn't it!?

• Thanks ladies!  I'll keep trying, and worry less :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"