Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Stubborn Severe Diaper Rash w/ lesions help!!

My 12 month old started getting a diaper rash 3 days ago. I have tried everything....oatmeal baths, A&D, Desitin, and Aquaphor. I also change him frequently so he doesn't sit in wet diapers for extended periods of time. The rash will temporarily look like it is bettering and then when he poops, it goes back to red, very irritated, bumpy, and what looks to be like the start of lesions. I don't know what else to do. Should I call his doctor? Is there something else I can put on him to make it go away? It is breaking my heart to see him in pain every time I wipe him. He clenches onto my arm as he cries when I wipe him. Please give me any tips, remedies, and should I take him to the doctor?

Please help mommies! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Stubborn Severe Diaper Rash w/ lesions help!!

• My son had the same problem (he was allergic to J&J bath soap). We took him to the ER and they gave him triple-antibiotic cream to use in conjunction with Desitin. It was completley healed within 2 days. Call his Dr!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We took our DD in for something similar, and the doctor gave us an antibiotic.  I've also heard that coconut oil is great for diaper rash.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagegtognietti:
    My son had the same problem (he was allergic to J&J bath soap). We took him to the ER and they gave him triple-antibiotic cream to use in conjunction with Desitin. It was completley healed within 2 days. Call his Dr!

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I think tomorrow morning first thing I'm calling his doctor. 

• We've had this twice for some stupid reason.

My MIL who is quite wise (former nurse and 6 kids) in these matters told me to give her a bath and dump in2 cups vinegar and shake in a decent of baking soda. It seems icky but it stopped the itching and burning and hurt in a matter of seconds. I did it at 3am once because it's all that really helped.

I then put on some Lotrimin and Desitin like PP suggested. I also let her be naked as long as I could stand it...helped a lot too.

• imageEstwd2:
    Equal parts Desitin, Lotrimin AF, and Neosporin cream. It'll start working within a few hours. My pedi calls it magic mud.

This. Does the general redness go away but the 'lesions' stay and are bright red? It's possible it's a yeast infection the one time LO had one we used the same combo we only used it twice a day and it was waaaay better after the 2nd application. GL!
  • Thank you for posting this! Were going through the same thing right now, and ds's pedi called him in a prescription for an antifungal cream. I think it is getting better, but every time he poops it hurts him terribly. It breaks my heart. I'm going to try some neosporin and ad cream too, thanks to pps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekashmir81:
    imageEstwd2:
    Equal parts Desitin, Lotrimin AF, and Neosporin cream. It'll start working within a few hours. My pedi calls it magic mud.
    This. Does the general redness go away but the 'lesions' stay and are bright red? It's possible it's a yeast infection the one time LO had one we used the same combo we only used it twice a day and it was waaaay better after the 2nd application. GL!

With the stuff I have been putting on him and the oatmeal baths, the redness does diminish a bit, and the tiny lesions are no longer visible. But as soon as he poops...back to bright red, bumpy, and very irritated.. 

• imagemabenner1:
    Thank you for posting this! Were going through the same thing right now, and ds's pedi called him in a prescription for an antifungal cream. I think it is getting better, but every time he poops it hurts him terribly. It breaks my heart. I'm going to try some neosporin and ad cream too, thanks to pps.

Yes, it's terrible to see them in this kind of pain for sure! Did you have to take your baby into the doctor's, or did the doctor just call in the prescription based on the info you gave them? I'm hoping I can just get a script and not have to take him in.....but I think I am just going to try the "miracle mud" 

• imageFergiegal:

imagemabenner1:
    Thank you for posting this! Were going through the same thing right now, and ds's pedi called him in a prescription for an antifungal cream. I think it is getting better, but every time he poops it hurts him terribly. It breaks my heart. I'm going to try some neosporin and ad cream too, thanks to pps.

Yes, it's terrible to see them in this kind of pain for sure! Did you have to take your baby into the doctor's, or did the doctor just call in the prescription based on the info you gave them? I'm hoping I can just get a script and not have to take him in.....but I think I am just going to try the "miracle mud" 

I didn't have to go in. I talked to the nurse and described the rash, and they sent the script over right away, luckily.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLalaMama81:

If it's yeast, and it sounds like it, they'll most likely prescribe nystatin. I think lotramin works just as well and you can buy that for less than $5. (non-name brand)

When this happened to us we did TONS of air time (no diaper) and put baking soda in the bath.

When she had a diaper on we did the lotramin first and then a thick layer of a desitin type on top to act as a barrier.  

If it IS a yeast issue, wouldn't I see yeast though? This is my first time dealing with a diaper rash, so I'm not sure. I'm definitely calling the doctor first thing tomorrow. Did your little one get diagnosed at the doctor's, or over the phone with a nurse?

And in terms of the baking soda in the bath, how much should I pour in? Just the regular stick in the fridge baking soda boxes?

Thanks for your help! 

• imageLalaMama81:

If it's yeast, and it sounds like it, they'll most likely prescribe nystatin. I think lotramin works just as well and you can buy that for less than $5. (non-name brand)

When this happened to us we did TONS of air time (no diaper) and put baking soda in the bath.

When she had a diaper on we did the lotramin first and then a thick layer of a desitin type on top to act as a barrier.  

I agree with the Lotramin (generic). Nystatin didn't help at all for us. We use Triple Paste every day and when we see extra redness or bumps we use Lotramin. When we see lesions of bleeding we add in the Neosporin.  

• Thank you everyone for your tips and advice! I appreciate it. Hopefully my little guy will get better soon!
  • imageFergiegal:
    Thank you everyone for your tips and advice! I appreciate it. Hopefully my little guy will get better soon!

FX that he's feeling better soon.

DS just had a terrible diaper rash, raised bumps and angry red.  It turns out it was a yeast infection.  I spoke with the pharmacist who gave me some anti-fungal cream and it's clearing up right now.

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • When my lo had something like this, Lotrimin (an anti fungal) worked best, as it was likely yeast.  Call your doctor.  So sorry you are going through this!  We put on the Lotrimin and then put Desitin on top of that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"