Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

yeast infection?

DS has been battling a diaper rash for over a month (he doesn't get rash though, just welts), and now he's getting these raised, pimple-looking spots on his bum.  Nothing is red except the spots, and they seem to be spreading.  Yeast infection?  And if so, do I have to take him to the dr?  Is there something OTC I can try first?

Anniversary

Re: yeast infection?

• It sounds like a yeast infection to me.  My DS just had this same thing and he's never had diaper rash or any type of rase before, til a few weeks ago.  The Dr. told me to put Lotrimin (It's OTC) on it, it went away but then it came back, so I just ended up loading on desitin and it actually went away.  I'd call the Dr just to be safe.  GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • DS got a yeast infection due to a bad weeklong diaper rash.  The advice nurse told us this:

- for a week do a baking soda bath 2-3x/day.  4 Tbsp baking soda in 4 inches of water.  Soak LO for 10 minutes.

- don't use wipes at diaper changes.  Rinse in sink.  It's gross but wipes were so painful for DS and this really helped.

- No onesies and loose diaper.

- OTC cream mix (these products can be purchased at the dollar store.  Even the nurse suggested this!)

* hyrdrocortisone

* zinc oxide (diaper cream)

* monostat ointment (miconazole)

* clotrimazole

~Mix equal parts and apply after every diaper change~

We didn't apply this until that evening and the next day there was a HUGE improvement.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Triple Paste AF.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

BFP #1 6-8-11 EDD 2-19-12. DD born 2-3-12 via induction due to pre-e.
    BFP #2 9-7-13 EDD 5-22-14. It's a GIRL! DD#2 is on her way.
  • We used OTC athletes foot cream and it cleared up in 48 hours.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• imageLalaMama81:

I just posted this on the other rash post, but we had success w/ lots of diaper-free time, baking soda baths, lotramin first then a layer of desitin as a barrier. You need a really thick layer of the zinc oxide cream b/c it needs to keep the skin from coming in contact w/ the pee or poop. 

Also, do you use cloth diapers? 

Yes, I posted on the CD board asking if I need to do anything special to wash the diapers.  I think I'm going to use disposables till I get this cleared up though, I'm tired of using liners and I don't see any changes in the rash when I use disposables vs. cloth.  Plus then I can keep the diaper looser.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"