Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

15 month old

For the past week, he has been sick with a terrible cough and runny nose.  Just this week, he has been extremely difficult and been acting very much not himself.  I don't know if it is because he's sick or what.  For instance, I'd try to put him down for a nap this week and he had a meltdown.  He screamed, cried, threw himself, and carried on.  This has gone on all week and he's never been this way before.  He has always laid down with me and cuddled.  He has even gotten this way at night as well.  I always make sure to give him cough medicine at least 30 mins before his nap and before bedtime.  This morning, he woke us up at 4:30am.  I figured we could just cuddle in bed together, but nope, he completely threw another fit.  It sounded like we were severely hurting him.  He went on for almost two hours.  When my husband stood up and held him, he stopped crying.  I have also noticed that when he gets upset when he's playing, he sits on the floor, and throws himself.  I seem to think he's acting out because he is not getting his way.  My husband seems to think he is acting out because he doesn't know how to tell us how he is feeling because he is too young and all kids do this.  I have a bunch of cousin's that I have babysat in the past and I've never seen a 15 month old act this way.  I don't have a problem with letting him cry it out, but it does break my heart to see him so upset.

What the heck is going on and where is my sweet little boy who always cuddled with me?  How long do you let them cry it out for?  And I think spanking a 15 month old is too young.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: 15 month old

• Options

imageLuhdashuh:
    I have never heard of cough medicine for kids under 6, did your dr. Prescribe it? It's possible the medication is causing the difficult behavior, dd1 cannot handle antihistamines and we see acting out behavior we do not see when she is med free. Dd1 also has difficulty with sleep when taking medicine as well. Won't go to bed and wakes early. No matter what is causing the behavior, spanking will not help. That just will teach him it's not ok to be upset. If my kids at that age don't respond to soothing or redirection than I ignore them and let them have their little fit for a few minutes before trying to soothe and redirect. Your dh is right that it's due to lack of ability to communicate what is wrong.

Thank you!  I have only been giving him tylenol when his temp was 99.5.  The Dr. told me to get Zarbee's which is an all-natural cough syrup, but I didn't give it to him until the second day of his cold.  I definitely don't want to spank him.  This behavior is new to us and it seems like it came on suddenly :o(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I also think your husband is right. They do not have the tools we have at this young age to communicate so they tend to go to crying and tantrums. Totally normal. My 15 month old had an awful time a couple weeks ago due to teething and seemed to have a total different personality. It has passed and he is totally happy and back to normal. I think be patient and your 15 month old will go back to the way he was before.
    Started TTC - 01/2009 1st BFP - 09/04/09,1st u/s - 10/06/09- no heartbeat seen, D&E - 10/13/09 BFP #2 - 2/12/10, m/c 2/17/10 BFP #3 - 01/03/11 m/c 01/10/11 BFP #4 - 02/21/11 DS born 10/13/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"