Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Not sleeping

Ds is 6.5 months old. He's always been a great sleeper at night. He'd go 8 to 11 hours straight without waking. He was terrible at napping, only 30 minutes per nap, but we felt like we couldn't complain too much since we got great night sleep.

A month ago though that all changed. He now wakes up anywhere from 1 to 5 hours after he goes down, and once he wakes that first time he is crying out roughly every 30 to 60 minutes until it's time to get up. He goes down around 8pm. Last night he was up three times between 1 and 2am, then at 3, 3:30, 5:00, 6:00 at which point he got a bottle, 6:40, and up for good at 7:00. That was a good night too considering he didn't first wake until 1am. The nights he first wakes at 9 or 10pm are beyond miserable.

We don't know what to do. Sometimes he's crying because he flipped onto his belly and can't roll back. I get that. But other times he's crying out, arched back on his side like something hurts...but his eyes are closed like he's still asleep! Usually the paci and a tummy rub calms him, but then he's up 30 to 60 minutes later. We are so exhausted, and it's worse that I just went back to work full time last week.

Any thoughts? Anyone go through something similar??
Mr. & Mrs. UMich! July 2006! :-)
DX: High FSH/DOR
It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

Beta #1 (9dp5dt) = 206, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) = 438
1st u/s @ 6w5d = 11/11/11 = ONE little bean! HB 120bpm!
?Our Baby Boy Born June 26th, 2012?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Not sleeping

• the arched back makes me wonder if he has reflux... and at night is usually the worst time because they are laying flat... there must be something going on if he is getting up so often...did you discuss his sleeping patterns with your pedi? 

this must be so difficult for you... :( 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are going through this right now!  LO has slept through the night since just under 4 months.  Now he rolls on his time and wakes up crying because he can't get back over.  Been 3 weeks, hoping it ends soon. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagestanfordt04:

the arched back makes me wonder if he has reflux... and at night is usually the worst time because they are laying flat... there must be something going on if he is getting up so often...did you discuss his sleeping patterns with your pedi? 

this must be so difficult for you... :( 

He does have reflux, and is on the highest dose of Prevacid for his weight.  However, I really think the arching is partly him trying to roll over...and also the doctors told us that babies will arch their backs when they're in any kind of distress.  It's a natural reaction to pain for them.  So it could be because his helmet is bothering him, his stomach hurts, he had a bad dream, his toe itches, who knows.  Sad  We did tell the pediatrician about this at his 6 month check up but he didn't really say anything...left us feeling like it's normal for babies to go through this.  If it goes on much longer though I'm going to have to call back and ask for a baby sleeping pill or something lol (although I'm only half kidding!)  I feel like I'm slowly losing touch with my sanity!!!

It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

• Our LO went through this for about 3 weeks when he was 6 1/2!months. Same exact thing. He slept in our bed for a month and now he is better. Just be patient and it will get better. My LO learned to crawl, stand up, sit and got a tooth all in one month. My doctor said its normal to hit sleep regression when there is developmental changes. Just know it does get better!!!!
  • imagemierasm1:
    Our LO went through this for about 3 weeks when he was 6 1/2!months. Same exact thing. He slept in our bed for a month and now he is better. Just be patient and it will get better. My LO learned to crawl, stand up, sit and got a tooth all in one month. My doctor said its normal to hit sleep regression when there is developmental changes. Just know it does get better!!!!

Thanks...DH is completely against bringing DS into our bed, even though I've suggested it several times out of sheer desperation for sleep.  We're headed into week 5 of this so hopefully it ends soon!

• Ugh! So sorry, that sucks! Could he be overstimulated before bed? Going down too early or too late? Noisy neighbors? Gassy? Or waking up hungry? For DD she gets her 8oz night time bottle with 1tblspn of rice cereal, just to keep her full thru the night. Use a white noise machine night light that lves the room 90 percent dark...I also use pampers babydry for bedtime to keep her comfy until morning.
    GL! Been there, I know how it sucks! It's crazy how minor adjustments, depending on one's situation is the cure all.
  • Oh how I sympathize with you :(  I have no advice but no that you are not alone.  My DS has been waking every 1-2 hours crying in his sleep then waking him self up.  I have no idea what is wrong. 

I feed him but he wont really eat because he's not hungry.  I soothe him and that helps sometimes.  If I'm lucky I can get him back to sleep in his crib but he will just wake up in another hour or so.  If I can't get him back to sleep I bring him to our bed.

I'm assuming it's because he is in the thick of learning to crawl as well as his top two teeth getting ready to come through.  I keep telling myself that this too shall pass. :( Hang in there momma!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is me 1/2 the time. Either my son does great or terrible - but he has never slept through the night. Wah!  I literally pray that he sleeps...My only savior is taking him out of the crib to sleep with me when I am exhausted. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"