2nd Trimester

Pain Medication other than tylenol.....

Hey ladies, I would like to know if any of you are taking any other pain meds, besides tylenol....I recently had rotator cuff surgery, and in physical therapy, which is extremely painful. I take generic vicodin, hydrocodone....5mg/325 and tylenol along with, for pain. Please share with me any of your meds that you take for your particular situation, and what your docs say about it. Thanks soooo much,

Re: Pain Medication other than tylenol.....

• I would listen to your doctor. Everyone's medical situations are different and our answers should not affect what you take, ever. I think its odd you are asking about pain management when it sounds like your doctor has it covered. If it is not touching your pain or you want something different then communicate with your doctor pronto.

I have pain issues that my doctor has permitted me to be on hydrocodone as needed for pain. However, I only take it if I am in pure agony. I can usually get by without it.

I am curious as to why you want to know.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I take Tylenol for small headaches. I had a string of migraines and my doc had me on hydrocodone initially and now Fiorecet. Apparently that category of drugs is safe for pregnancy vs. some of the usuals like aspirin. Ice packs work wonders too.
    Pregnancy Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • i take norco 10mg for my back and the dr said it was fine. he just said to stop taking them close to the birth.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  •  One of the many joys of pregnancy, is being able to share and receive information via many websites, with other women that are pregnant. Be it, first pregnancy, second pregnancy, loss of pregnancy, sex issues, health issues, and everything else from A-to-Z....Let me reassure you PrimRoseMomma, that I am not taking anyones advice on medical issues that affect my pregnancy....however, I will admit, that being able to converse, with other women that may be in similar situations, and sharing their stories, is very comforting, supportive, and yes sometimes educational.................with "this particular" exception.

No, I am not altering my medication per any advice. No, I dont want any suggestions as you stated, "want something else", "not touching my pain", as my question neither stated nor of this issues................

I simply want to know what other pregnancy moms, are dealing with and/or take for their pain, other than tylenol.

This is my first pregnancy, this is also my first day on this website, and first time posting a question.....it seems that your curiousity has heightened in a way, that makes me REFUSE, to feel as though I asked a question, that....should I dare say not...was wrong, or offended you....maybe this is a sensitive subject to you, if so please accept my apologies, however, I stand on being able to freely post a question, without being harrassed.

Thanks to the others, that have contacted me on here, and privately to give me there stories, and share in there struggles with pain and being pregnant. It is a joy, to be able to converse in a postive way.

• imagePrimRoseMama:

I would listen to your doctor. Everyone's medical situations are different and our answers should not affect what you take, ever. I think its odd you are asking about pain management when it sounds like your doctor has it covered. If it is not touching your pain or you want something different then communicate with your doctor pronto.

I have pain issues that my doctor has permitted me to be on hydrocodone as needed for pain. However, I only take it if I am in pure agony. I can usually get by without it.

I am curious as to why you want to know.

One of the many joys of pregnancy, is being able to share and receive information via many websites, with other women that are pregnant. Be it, first pregnancy, second pregnancy, loss of pregnancy, sex issues, health issues, and everything else from A-to-Z....Let me reassure you PrimRoseMomma, that I am not taking anyones advice on medical issues that affect my pregnancy....however, I will admit, that being able to converse, with other women that may be in similar situations, and sharing their stories, is very comforting, supportive, and yes sometimes educational.................with "this particular" exception.

No, I am not altering my medication per any advice. No, I dont want any suggestions as you stated, "want something else", "not touching my pain", as my question neither stated nor of this issues................

I simply want to know what other pregnancy moms, are dealing with and/or take for their pain, other than tylenol.

This is my first pregnancy, this is also my first day on this website, and first time posting a question.....it seems that your curiousity has heightened in a way, that makes me REFUSE, to feel as though I asked a question, that....should I dare say not...was wrong, or offended you....maybe this is a sensitive subject to you, if so please accept my apologies, however, I stand on being able to freely post a question, without being harrassed.

Thanks to the others, that have contacted me on here, and privately to give me there stories, and share in there struggles with pain and being pregnant. It is a joy, to be able to converse in a postive way.

• imageCalysto999:
    I take Tylenol for small headaches. I had a string of migraines and my doc had me on hydrocodone initially and now Fiorecet. Apparently that category of drugs is safe for pregnancy vs. some of the usuals like aspirin. Ice packs work wonders too.

Thanks!! Yeah Ive been experiencing headaches too. I never have gotten them before now, I also heard that ice packs work too. Funny how pregnancy can bring on 'new' symptoms!!

Thanks and Good Luck!

• imageclairebear8675309:
    i take norco 10mg for my back and the dr said it was fine. he just said to stop taking them close to the birth.

I was on this med when I first had surgery, it did help the pain alot, and my doctor has both reassured me the same. Im also suffering from back pain, but use a heating pad occasionally, lowest heat setting, and only for 10 minutes. The hydrocodone Im on now, I think is a norco..it is 5/325...it allows me to take tylenol with it, so thats a plus. Thanks and good luck!

i take norco 10mg for my back and the dr said it was fine. he just said to stop taking them close to the birth.

I was on this med when I first had surgery, it did help the pain alot, and my doctor has both reassured me the same. Im also suffering from back pain, but use a heating pad occasionally, lowest heat setting, and only for 10 minutes. The hydrocodone Im on now, I think is a norco..it is 5/325...it allows me to take tylenol with it, so thats a plus. Thanks and good luck!

• I have fibromyalgia and RA so I take vicodin occasionally and flexerill nightly (which i'm about to go off of because it can be addictive)

I also see a chiropractor regularly to help manage the pain. 

My only tip would be to include as many trusted dr's in these decisions as possible. 

I have a friend with fibro who was on oxycontin her entire pregnancy, under the co-care of her fibro dr and high risk OB, they both told her this was safe. 

She had to be induced early due to babies failure to thrive,  then baby had to be weaned off the meds, which was horrible to watch and terribly traumatic for everyone! Her DD also has several developmental delays, though she is catching up quickly!

When they had the first appt with their pediatrician, he was shocked by the meds she was told were safe.

So, I guess moral of the story is do your homework, ask as many reliable sources as you can

HTH!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Let me start by saying, your doctor isn't always right. I have had various doctors over my two pregnancies and various opinions about medications. I generally check out kellymom.com, which has a med list for pregnancy and breastfeeding. I then determine if the risk is outweighed by the need for the medication.

I get migraines, and last pregnancy I had my uterus pressing against my kidney, which felt like a kidney stone for weeks. I have taken oxycodone (just slightly stronger than vicodin because of the dosage I believe) for pain both pregnancies. This pregnancy my doctor is allowing a small refill every 30 days. I literally had a doctor last pregnancy who said it was safe to take as much oxycodone as needed unless it made me pass out! So I use my own judgement and take the meds when I can get them prescribed.

I'm actually finding it a bit aggravating that my doc now is so strict on pain medication. I'm still a person even though I'm pregnant and shouldn't have to suffer through treatable pain. I need to find a doctor who actually gets migraines!

Alternative Housewife - Mama style on a budget

Mama to Sebastian, born 9/2010 BabyFetus Ticker

• With my DD, I started from the basics with tylenol with codeine and escalated through, tramadol, demerol, morphine pills 15 and 30 and then fentanyl patches for about the last 3 months of my pregnancy. 
    I had what started as kidney stones to kidney infections with two surgeries to try and place stents for the stones to pass. They ended up just keeping me on the medicine to keep me out of pain since no relief came out of any interventions there. They couldn't identify where my pain was coming from for certain. 
    My DD was born just 2 1/2 weeks before her due date and almost 7 pounds. I had only gained 13lbs at that point.
    I was seeing my regular OBGYN and a MFM. My doctors agreed that the relief outweighed the risk and my daughter has seemed to keep on track with milestones and hopefully nothing poor came of it.
    Not for everyone, and I felt terrible for having so much pumped into me but, without it I felt like I couldn't keep going.

This pregnancy the pain is returning recently and am taking the minimum I can manage of tylenol/codeine. My OB now is much more resistant to medicate over physical therapy, which will start soon!

(Sorry, this was so long.. I was just looking to post something about this myself when I came across your post.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"