October 2012 Moms

POLL: Total time spent sleeping

My LO is a terrible napper lately. If he takes 3 cap naps of 20 minutes each, I'm thrilled! He fights sleep during the day terribly and often it takes me 1.5 hours of rocking/nursing/soothing to put him down for a 15 minute nap. UGH

I'm reading a couple sleep books now that suggest a 3 month old baby needs 13 hours of total sleep per 24 hours. My LO sleeps 12-13 hours at night (he wakes up to eat a couple times during this span though, so it's not as fantastic as it sounds!), but hardly any during the day - I'm curious if maybe he's "using up" all of his sleep at night so there isn't much left during the day.

POLL please - how many hours does your LO sleep per 24 hours? How much of this is night sleep vs naps? How many naps? 

DS1 : 10/2012
Due with B/G Twins July 2015

Re: POLL: Total time spent sleeping

• She sleeps about 9 to 11 hours in 24. She sleeps anywhere between 8 to 10 hours at night and a few 20 minute cat naps during the day.

If she's tired she sleeps. I don't force a nap. Every baby is different.
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    I made rachelmichelle1 my bitch.
  • At night A sleeps from 9:30-7:00ish without waking then take usually takes a 15- 45 minute nap every 1- 3 hours. Her naps are all over the place there really isn't any set thing yet, just her bedtime she somehow got into as soon as she was born and it hasn't changed (not yet anyways).
  • Loading the player...
  • My dd1 was like that, but dd2 sleeps a LOT. She probably sleeps 15 hours a day. FYI I could never get DD1 to change her ways. Mobile friend face.
    Birthday

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Bedtime around 9 sleeps to 7ish with 1 feed. Four naps from an hour to 2. About 16 hours total.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I don't trust most sleep "experts" but I do trust Weissbluth. I think that's on the low end of sleep needs for a 3 month old. I have no idea how much sleep either kid is getting. I can't keep them straight without charting them and I don't have time for that. Reid is sleeping more than Oliver is about all I know. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • E goes down between 8:30-9pm and wakes up for the day between 6-7am, but he's been waking 2-3 times a night to eat for the past week. But he does just eat and goes straight back to sleep. During the day he gets a morning cat nap every so often, but does a long 3-4 hour nap after lunch time. He'll usually do a 30-45 minute nap around dinner time. So I would say he averages 14-15 hours every 24 hours.
    Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• Sleeps 7-9 hrs through night, then another 2 hr nap right after, then 1-2 long 1-2hr naps usually babck to back and a few catnaps here or there for a daily total of approx 13 

i read somewhere a 3 Month old should get 15 hours, where did you read 13?   13 seems more like the natural pattern for my LO 

• He is currently STTN so he goes down about 10 and sleeps till around 6. He wakes up to eat and play for a bit then will be napping by 8, another nap by 11 then again around 3 followed by a nap around 6. All last anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • L fights naps too and I only enforce it because he's miserable without them, sigh can't win... he sleeps from 7-6 with 1 MOTN feed and usually naps 4 small cat naps a day (can go from 30 mins to an hour) so it depends... low end = 13 hours of sleep high end is 15 I guess.

i read 15 is what they need too...

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • she sleeps a lot, probably 13 to 16 hours a day. she is 17 weeks old.
    DD 9/15/12
  • Thanks for the responses so far! 

I'm reading Weissbluth + Ferber (please no flames about CIO, I don't CIO at the moment and this isn't meant to be a discussion on CIO). Weissbluth basically says all babies of this age need 3 naps per day of at least an hour. I'm driving myself insane trying to get my baby to do this! If I'm lucky he gets ONE nap per day of an hour (but this is rare). Weissbluth also says naps laying on parents, carseat naps, and swing naps don't count. LO hates napping in the crib, so this is another big issue for us.

I'm reading the Ferber book and read some recent interviews Feber did. He had said recent research shows some babies don't need as much sleep as they once thought. Ferber says a 3 month old should sleep 12-14 hours total per 24 hours. Ideally 8ish at night and then 3 naps, but for a total of 12-14.

I know every LO is different, just trying to figure out what other IRL babies of approx 3 months were doing. Keep the feedback coming - I really appreciate it!  

DS1 : 10/2012
    Due with B/G Twins July 2015
  • Web-md says 14 - 15 hours a day.  The sleep lady - my go to sleep book says 15 hours at 3 months.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • C sleeps about 8 hours at night, from 11 until around 7 or 7:30. Then he usually takes one one hour nap during the day and then 2 or 3 20 minute naps. Maybe another hour in the evening around 8pm. That's it. He's not a great napper. However, if we are in the car he will nap longer, up to two hours as long as the car is moving. I don't push it, he's never been a great napper.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• He sleeps 8-9 hours at night.  Then takes an hour and a half nap in the morning.  45 minutes around lunch time, 2 hours in the afternoon, and then another 30 minutes to an hour at night.  So total 13-14 hours. 

image imageimageimage

• My LO was having major issues with naps, and then it was suggested that she was overtired, since then we have made SURE to put her down for a nap even if its 20 mins every 1.5 to 2 hours....
    She is BF and I supplement with formula... She sleeps from 10 to 4am and then 4:30 to 7 with me waking to give her the pacifier sometimes. Then will go down for a 1 to 3 hour nap at 8:30, and then a few more naps during the day. Total hours... Anywhere from 14 to 16 hours in 24.
  • I was just thinking about this! She sleeps about 12 hours at night, give or take and at least on days when I'm off work, she'll take a couple naps anywhere from 1to 2.5 hours. I'd say about 15 hours a day.
    Photobucket Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am sort of jealous of those with more wakeful babies (assuming they are happily awake). Sometimes I worry my daughter is sleeping her development away :)
    DD 9/15/12
  • imageMrs.G123:
    My dd1 was like that, but dd2 sleeps a LOT. She probably sleeps 15 hours a day. FYI I could never get DD1 to change her ways. Mobile friend face.

Yes DD was always a catnapper until she moved to one nap a day at around 18 months.  She was and contiues to be a horrible sleeper. DS1 and DS2 are good nappers and relatively good sleepers.  DS 2 sleeps from 7 pm to 6 or 7 am waking one to two times a night to feed.  And takes three naps a day one of which is only 20 to 30 minutes, the other two range from one to two hours, awake about two hours at a time before needing to recharge.

Hey I just met you, and you're my baby. This is your family, we're kind of crazy...Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (tl9S)Lilypie - (zrx8)imageimageimage
  • My LO sleeps an average of 13 hours a day, and between 9 and 11 are at night, usually closer to 9.
  • imageelfchique:
    I don't trust most sleep "experts" but I do trust Weissbluth. I think that's on the low end of sleep needs for a 3 month old. I have no idea how much sleep either kid is getting. I can't keep them straight without charting them and I don't have time for that. Reid is sleeping more than Oliver is about all I know. 

This was my thought...13 is like what my two year old does!  My three month old is still going on about 17 or 18 hrs a day.

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Mine are a lot like yours... 11-12 hours straight during the night and 3-4 20 min naps during the day.  I was shocked (and happy) when once they took a 2 hour nap in the afternoon!  I would get a lot more done if they took longer naps.
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

imageimage
    PAIF and SAIF welcome. IVF questions welcome, too.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"