September 2013 Moms

Birth plan troubles.

I am finding it very difficult finding a hospital that is willing to let me have the birth experience I want. Anyone else having this problem? 
10 weeks 3 days. "I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!" photo e491e466-5111-42f8-9aff-bb214351cd00.jpg Pregnancy Ticker image

Re: Birth plan troubles.

• What type of experience are you wanting?
    photo b968ca6b-5a0b-49a1-93ac-7776aa6ee34b.jpg
    *Parker Ryan*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I want a natural birth. No epidural or drugs. I want to be able to walk around and listen to what my body is telling me. 
    10 weeks 3 days. "I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!" photo e491e466-5111-42f8-9aff-bb214351cd00.jpg Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSwimmersfin:
    I want a natural birth. No epidural or drugs. I want to be able to walk around and listen to what my body is telling me. 

I haven't made it as far as a birth plan, but a natural birth seems normal to me. What kind of push back are you getting? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSwimmersfin:
    I want a natural birth. No epidural or drugs. I want to be able to walk around and listen to what my body is telling me.nbsp;

Hospitals will ask you when you go in for delivery if you want any pain drugs, epidural, etc. At least that is how it works where I live. I can't imagine why the hospital would care whether you want a natural birth or not.

Anniversary
  • No hospital can make you have an epidural. I would post on your local board and ask for Dr recommendations of Drs that are unmedicated birth friendly. Or I would suggest a birthing center. Or maybe you'd prefer a midwife or doula in the hospital with you. They'll act as your advocate.

That is all based on what I've heard throughout my experience on TB and from friends. I did not have a unmedicated birth, thank god.

~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • No, because I didn't go in with a giant list of stuff. We rolled with it and had a very pleasant birth experience.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • As PPs said I cant imagine a hospital not supporting a natural birth.  Do you know if any hospitals have midwife supported deliveries?  They might be more supportive of various natural birthing techniques. 

Hospitals might be limited by liability for things like foregoing monitoring, or by facility for things like water births, though.  Have you looked into birthing centers?

TTC#1 since October 2012
    BFP#1 EDD 9/19/13, M/C at 9wk6dy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am finding that the hospitals here in Tucson are all do as your told. I was told by one of the nurses at a clinic that if I choose to go to Northwest I would not have a choice I would be given a epidural and the drugs that follow after. That Northwest was all about intervention. Have any of you watched The Business Of Being Born? 
  • imageSwimmersfin:
    I want a natural birth. No epidural or drugs. I want to be able to walk around and listen to what my body is telling me. 

Try finding a midwife. I wanted a similar birth with LO #1 and the hospital pushed the epi. They would have let me go without but they would not let me eat, drink, or walk around. Now, I did have a deceleration scare with DD's heartbeat, which is why I was tethered to a fetal monitor for the entire labor/delivery. Honestly, you won't know much about the hospital ahead of time but I guess it can't hurt to do some research. We are using a midwife this time around because I was not happy with my hospital birth. GL!

• There is only one birth center here in Tucson and so far it been hard to get a hold of them and meet with any of the midwifes but come Monday my husband and I will be trying again to get a hold and make appointments.
  • imageSwimmersfin:
    I am finding that the hospitals here in Tucson are all do as your told. I was told by one of the nurses at a clinic that if I choose to go to Northwest I would not have a choice I would be given a epidural and the drugs that follow after. That Northwest was all about intervention. Have any of you watched The Business Of Being Born? 

Nope, no desire. 

I would suggest you continue your search if the hospital is really like that. I'm shocked to hear that they said that to you.

~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • I can't believe that any hospital wouldn't go with that plan.  I know during my last birth, I told them I didn't have a plan, that I wanted to just "go with it" and they were super excited about that.  They said that it is hard to follow a birth plan, only because you never know how your body is going to react to certain situations.
    photo b968ca6b-5a0b-49a1-93ac-7776aa6ee34b.jpg
    *Parker Ryan*
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • A hospital cannot force you to get an epidural unless you are in need of a c/s. If a natural birth is what you want then you and your support person(s) need to speak up and be firm about your wants, as long as they don't endanger the baby. You are also not tied down to any one specific doctor or hospital. If you don't like the care you receive then you should go elsewhere. Try a midwife or consider a birth center or home birth. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Epidurals are always optional. Nobody makes you get one. Any regular hospital will do a natural birth. Just be firm with your requests and know your stuff. Hire a doula, they are great for patient advocacy and helping with pain relieve via massage and other methods. Nobody reads birth plans. It is up to you to go there and make it known what you want as you go.
    Mom of 5
    Boy 7-11-2007 (has Autism),
    Boy 2-26-2009 to 11-2-11 (had cancer at 4mo),
    Boy 3-28-2011 (has Autism)
    Girl 9-3-2013
    Baby due 2-22-2016
  • A hospital absolutely cannot give you an epidural without your consent. I had my first in a hospital and they consistently tried to convince me to get one, but I refused. I was able to give birth without one.

That said, they were snippy about it, and I wish I had prepared more beforehand about refusing it. That was also 14 years ago, holy cow. I think most hospitals and doctors are a lot more open to different birth options these days.

I would check out the birth center there. My husband and I were considering getting stationed at Fort Huachuca this summer and I was curious about the birth center there since we were TTC. It looked like a wonderful place to have a natural birth. I had my second son at a birth center and it was a wonderful experience.

This baby I will have to have at a hospital as we are being stationed in the middle of the Mojave desert o.O . I'm very concerned about my birth, not just because I definitely don't want any pressure for an epidural, but because I also enjoyed being able to walk around, use the birth tub, and not be hooked up to monitors. I guess the best we can do is find a doctor who will work with us! Also having your partner really informed and ready to help you fight for what you want is a huge help.

Love is multiplied: DS #1: 1.5.99 ~ DS #2: 9.23.11 ~ DD 8.29.13

m/c 11/12/12 - sleep tight baby bean.

Bitty Baby #4, please stick around - we already love you so very much!

Ultrasound 11/4 - TWO HEARTBEATS!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Def look for a midwife. I had a natural birth at a hospital with the help of one :-) I plan on doing it again this time around.

J+E ~ 08/25/2007   DD#1 ~ 05/11/2010   DD#2 ~ 09/25/2013   DD#3 ~ 06/09/2016   Baby #4 Due ~ 01/16/2023

• imageSwimmersfin:
    I am finding that the hospitals here in Tucson are all do as your told. I was told by one of the nurses at a clinic that if I choose to go to Northwest I would not have a choice I would be given a epidural and the drugs that follow after. That Northwest was all about intervention. Have any of you watched The Businessnbsp;Of Being Born?nbsp;

It is illegal for them to give you an epidural if you don't want it and you can decline almost all medications if you want to. Hospitals do require some monitoring of the baby to ensure the baby is tolerating labor if I hadn't been monitored, my son would have died.

I would keep doing research from legitimate scientific or professional sources and contact the hospitals to ask what their policies are. Almost all hospitals offer a tour of LandD.

You can also look into hiring a doula or working with a certified nurse midwife. They can help advocate for you and help with breathing, positioning, etc. to help manage pain instead of drugs.

I would also recommend checking out skepticalob.com for info on the risks of noncertified midwives.

I think if you look, you'll find hospitals that are very accommodating of intervention free deliveries. I would also research the different mess and interventions again for legitimate scientific or professional sources so that you understand them. It's possible to predict what your health or the baby's will be during delivery, and if it ends up being necessary to have an intervention, you'll want to understand your options.

I would also recommend being very flexible and open minded about your birth plan. Almost nobody has a labor and delivery that goes the way they planned I feel it's better to be open minded to making the decisions you need to during the process that are in your and baby's best interest, and don't worry about if it was your plan or not.

Hope you find a place to deliver where you feel comfortable :
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSwimmersfin:
    I am finding that the hospitals here in Tucson are all do as your told. I was told by one of the nurses at a clinic that if I choose to go to Northwest I would not have a choice I would be given a epidural and the drugs that follow after. That Northwest was all about intervention. Have any of you watched The Businessnbsp;Of Being Born?nbsp;

That would be illegal to make anyone do anything they didn't want to do. Also the business of being born is very one sided and dramatic.
  • You can easily have a natural hospital birth. True, some hospitals are a little more pushy than others but, that is what husbands, doulas and midwives are for.
  • I have no birth plan troubles. I just lay on a table and get sliced open.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • imageMrsbtobe2012:
    imageSwimmersfin:

That would be illegal to make anyone do anything they didn't want to do. Also the business of being born is very one sided and dramatic.

This. Plus, as far as I'm concerned the That documentary is propaganda. I'd rather make educated decisions based on conversations with experts in various specialties. Be open minded. Doctors usually want and know what's best for you and baby especially if this is your first.

• imageauroraloo:

Unless that baby is coming out your mouth, it's a natural birth.

A documentary heavily slanted to one side is not research, it's propoganda. 

If you would like a med-free birth, by all means, do it. Also, a nurse in a clinic told you that? Call the hospital yourself and ask. I got 20 bucks says you can have a med-free birth there. 

All of this.   

Lots of love to my BFPB, Squishy622 <3

photo 544b4365-b9ee-4805-ba08-f19896d25dae_zpsd8a0debb.jpgphoto ed61c23b-2bf9-4622-b870-072ac0970775_zpsa90b2a73.jpg

• imageSwimmersfin:
    I am finding that the hospitals here in Tucson are all do as your told. I was told by one of the nurses at a clinic that if I choose to go to Northwest I would not have a choice I would be given a epidural and the drugs that follow after. That Northwest was all about intervention. Have any of you watched The Business Of Being Born? 

Sooo...you are listening to one crapass nurse at a clinic give her opinion of a hospital?  I suggest talking to actual doctors or ::gasp:: the actual hospital!  Mindblowing, I know.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• imageL&R70707:

imageSwimmersfin:
    I am finding that the hospitals here in Tucson are all do as your told. I was told by one of the nurses at a clinic that if I choose to go to Northwest I would not have a choice I would be given a epidural and the drugs that follow after. That Northwest was all about intervention. Have any of you watched The Business&nbsp;Of Being Born?&nbsp;

Sooo...you are listening to one crapass nurse at a clinic give her opinion of a hospital?&nbsp; I suggest talking to actual doctors or ::gasp:: the actual hospital!&nbsp; Mindblowing, I know.

Yes

I agree with what most of the other ladies said. Talk to your DOCTOR and the actual HOSPITAL. Do you really believe that the hospital can perform procedures like that against your will??? Come on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Also, take it from this crapass labor nurse that I love nothing more than delivering babes to mothers that are focused, in tune with their bodies, and unmedicated. It's also necessary of you do decide to get an epidural to sign consents etc... You aren't that bright of a bulb. I suggest doing much more research.

Although the one fact from the documentary you mentioned most women do more research on what car they are going to buy than the birth experience they'd like to have. SO TRUE!!
  • I think it would be beneficial for you to talk with your doctor and the actual hospital you are considering. You can't be given an epidural without consent and most hospitals support natural birth.  

On September 8th 2007, I married my best friend. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"