Babies: 0 - 3 Months

second night what were we thinking??

My little one is now 33hrs old and tonight he decides that if I put him down he needs to start screaming. We are still in the hospital and the nurse has told that this is a typical second night. I am currently using the phone to stay awake. Any suggestions?

Re: second night what were we thinking??

• That's exactly how our second night went. I had to walk around in our room for hours trying to calm him. Have you tried a pacifier yet? Are you breastfeeding? Our LO wasn't getting much to eat because he wasn't latching well so we gave him formula and he finally slept. Good luck and congrats!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Ourfasttrackfamily.blogspot.com

• Loading the player...
  • Wow our second night was crazyyy!!

LO decided to cluster feed every hour upto 2 am then finally slept but in my arms! At 4 am I had it and gave DS to DH who held him till 7 am while I slept! I surfed on my phone to stay awake while bf... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you're breastfeeding, keep offering the breast... It'll help your milk come in and is a huge comfort for newborns. Also try to strip baby down to diaper and put them on your chest under the hospital gown dad can try skin to skin as well. They're going to cry when you put them down... They've been in a cozy, dark place for 9 months and it's scary out here!!
  • DS did this while we were in the hospital as well. He would only calm down if i breastfed him. Turns out he was cluster feeding.  If your LO falls asleep in your arms or on your chest go to sleep too! :) it gets easier.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Theres a section on lucieslist.com and kellymom.com about the second night. Be careful offering the breast. I did that and she would not let go, even after falling asleep. The nurse finally ended up taking her to the nursery for a couple of hours, and she have her a pacifier only after we found she had a good latch. I have no idea how she calmed her down, but she got her to sleep for two hours.  It was definitely rough, though!
  • imageuconnhuskie007:
    send him to the nursery while you can!  my lo did the same thing, and after much reservation that's what we did.  best 5 hours of sleep ever.

the best advice we got was to utilize the hospital nursery time for the couple days/ nights you're there. We would have the twins in our room till around 10-11pm and them send them to the nursery until 8am. It really did help to get rest for a couple days. Cause as soon as we went home, the sleepless night began!!!! Good Luck and congrats on your new addition!!!  

TTC Since Jan. 2011
    July 2011: Clomid 50mg- No ovulation
    Sept 2011: Clomid 100mg- No ovulation
    Nov 2011: Clomid 150mg- No ovulation
    Jan-Feb 2012: 150mg Clomid and 5 mg Femara w/ Orvidrel Shot- Ovulation!!
    Feb 2012: IUI #1- BFP
    Beta #1: 206
    Beta #2: 2496
    Feb 16: TWINS!!!
    June 13: Found out genders... Boy/Girl (Team Green)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/acc1h5.jpg[/IMG]
  • imageamy052006:

imagekjsmith9:
    If you're breastfeeding, keep offering the breast... It'll help your milk come in and is a huge comfort for newborns. Also try to strip baby down to diaper and put them on your chest under the hospital gown dad can try skin to skin as well. They're going to cry when you put them down... They've been in a cozy, dark place for 9 months and it's scary out here!!

This your baby is doing exactly what they are supposed to do, and this is probably the worst time to send them to the nursery if you want to BF.  Just lay there and let them latch as much as they want.   

This.

• imageANAG2010:
    imageamy052006:

imagekjsmith9:
    If you're breastfeeding, keep offering the breast... It'll help your milk come in and is a huge comfort for newborns. Also try to strip baby down to diaper and put them on your chest under the hospital gown dad can try skin to skin as well. They're going to cry when you put them down... They've been in a cozy, dark place for 9 months and it's scary out here!!

This your baby is doing exactly what they are supposed to do, and this is probably the worst time to send them to the nursery if you want to BF.  Just lay there and let them latch as much as they want.   

This.

i agree. That's what I ended up doing. I was up every hour nursing DD on her second night. The next night, she slept for 3 straight hours before nursing, all throughout the night. And has been that way since day 3. :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The hospital I had my daughter in told me that their policy is to have newborns in with their parents while there but if we really NEEDED to we could send her to the nursery.

And so we did. The first night, they brought her back in to us at 2am because they didn't have enough nurses on staff to watch her while they had to tend to a person in labor. I was not amused. I was exhausted from the csection, the pain meds and from not sleeping well the night before.

The second and third nights we also sent her to the nursery. One of the nurses was completely pissed off because we did.

The other nurses were amazing.

• SWADDLE HIM!!  Our DD is not a screamer but she won't sleep unless she is swaddled nice and tight.
  • imageItsjustlaur:
    Swaddle! 

Exactly this. It immediately calms DD down.

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"