Breastfeeding
Options

Not enough milk but not ready to give up. Help.

I'm so depressed. I've never been able to produce enough milk for my daughter and we've always had to supplement a little with formula. I really enjoy nursing so I didn't mind taking the extra time to give her a bottle of formula too.

lately it seems like my milk production getting lower and lower. I pump 3 times a day at work for 30 minutes each time. I can barely get 2 ounces combined each time. I guzzle water all day. I've tried oatmeal. Brewers Yeast. Mothers Milk tea. Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc supplements. Nothing seems to boost my supply! I've also had my pump checked by a lactation consultant and I've replaced membranes.

It's so depressing when I pump for 30 minutes and get less than an ounce from each side. I feel like I'm just wasting my time.

Mentally and emotionally I'm not ready to give this up yet but my body doesn't seem to be agreeing with me. Any advice or helpful hints for me?

So happy for my BFPB Steff13914 and her new twins! Welcome to the world sweet babies:) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Not enough milk but not ready to give up. Help.

• Options
    I'm not the best pumper either but based on weighed feedings I know when I actually BF she gets enough so I tell myself that pumping is just so I can maintain my nursing relationship not about the ounce I yield. That my body was designed to nurse not pump and try not to beat myself up over it. Some things that have helped me with pumping are breast compressions and using a different brand manual pump, I like the Phillips advent brand
  • Options

Are you pumping at home too?  Is she nursing first and then supplementing?  Do you pump after nursing?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    image&orchid&:

Are you pumping at home too?  Is she nursing first and then supplementing?  Do you pump after nursing?

No I rarely pump at home.  If I do it's on the weekends.  I nurse her in the mornings.  pump 3 times at work.  nurse her in the evenings along with a bottle of formula. 

So happy for my BFPB Steff13914 and her new twins! Welcome to the world sweet babies:) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did power pumping one weekend and that seemed to help a lot. I pumped for 10 minutes every hour for several hours. Maybe you could try that this weekend? Also I take domperidone and that helps me too.
    Mama of 3 earth babies and 1 beautiful angel baby
  • Options
    I would see a lactation consultant, please don't give up until you have at least seen one!
  • Options
    Thank you for the responses and support!  I plan on calling a lactation consultant tomorrow and trying a few more things. I'm just not ready to give up yet. Almost but not yet:). 
  • Options

Sounds like you are doing a lot of great things.

Maybe also try not looking at the bottles as you pump? Sometimes focusing on how much milk can make it stressful and you get less. Maybe put some big effort in to relaxing so you might get more.

Have you drank Mothers Milk tea? Or More Milk Plus? Or goats rue? Or heat pads on your breasts while pumping (like the Lansinoh therapy pearl ones)? Just throwing it more ideas. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagelinzeek44:

Sounds like you are doing a lot of great things.

Maybe also try not looking at the bottles as you pump? Sometimes focusing on how much milk can make it stressful and you get less. Maybe put some big effort in to relaxing so you might get more.

Have you drank Mothers Milk tea? Or More Milk Plus? Or goats rue? Or heat pads on your breasts while pumping (like the Lansinoh therapy pearl ones)? Just throwing it more ideas. 

I don't look at the bottles...i try to busy myself with facebook or a magazine:)  I'm drinking the mothers milk tea right now and I'm going to try the milk plus.  Thank you for your response!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"