Baby Names

Salmon

You know how I'm always saying that I think the human gestation period is 9 months because that's how long it takes the dads to get on board with being serious about naming the baby? Well, it isn't any different the third time around.

All through the first pregnancy DH wanted to name the baby Moses. He's back on a Moses kick this time too. Except this time he has decided it would be awesome to name him Moses Tecumseh LN, you know since Wm. Tecumseh Sherman was the first Buckeye to burn a couch to celebrate a victory. Confused

I just finished reading Gore Vidal's Lincoln last week which DH had already read. We're getting all excited about watching the movie and were talking about all the people and we got on the topic of Salmon Portland Chase, who was the Sec. of the Treasury and went on the be a Supreme Court Justice. We thought that was interesting since he was from Ohio, but it is such an Oregon centric name now. I was wondering if the name was pronounced like the fish (silent L) or more like Salman Rushdie. DH looked it up on some website which said it was a variant of Solomon. So now DH thinks that Salmon LN would be perfect for this baby. I'm not sure if he's joking or not. As a joke I suggested Salmon Angus LN and now he regrets that we aren't having twins because they could be Salmon and Angus and he could NN them Surf n Turf. Lord, help me!

I often toss out girl names on our list when referring to the baby to see how they sound. DH corrected me and said, "You mean little Salmon."  And then his eyes lit up and he said, "You mean Little Salmonella!" Sigh! So if DH had his way this baby would be named for a fish or a bacteria. Perfect.

Please tell me I'm not the only one suffering through ridiculous name suggestions!

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: Salmon

• If this baby would have been a boy my husband liked the name Bear. 
    Sweet baby girl will be joining us in 5/13. Ivy Lucille joined us on 9/22/10. Winter Katrine joined us on 12/1/08. Became Mr. & Mrs. on 7/17/06.
  • You aren't the only one! My husband loves the name Bazooka Joe, nn Zook. No joke. I hate having name conversations with him because it's just too frustrating. His motto is "anything can be a name." Ick!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • imagequeenbone:

As a joke I suggested Salmon Angus LN and now he regrets that we aren't having twins because they could be Salmon and Angus and he could NN them Surf n Turf. Lord, help me!

I'm sorry, but I busted out laughing at this! But, not because it's a good idea. It's so not; but it is funny.  I almost wish DH would have suggested ridiculous names. We spent about 7 months with me suggesting names and him rejecting them. Very frustrating.  I think the fact that he threw out Salmonella means he's not really serious about the name so if I were you, just let him continue to get it out of his system and everytime he says it, just react with the attitude of, "yeah, anyway, how about this name?"  GL!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lol! You are not alone my friend!  My husband is ridiculous. His latest name kick is "Birmigham"  after Birmingham England where he is from. Really? It has been a constant struggle. grrrr.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lol, my DH frequently gets stuck on historical themes that are odd.  Or family names that are odd.  While pregnant last time before we knew the sex he kept suggesting Effie Maude- some random non-direct ancestor in his family history book.  He wasn't serious, just wanted me to shut up.  Now I actually kind of like it!  Or he is quite serious about something otherwise geeky like Zelda or Link.  If this is a boy he wanted it to be William Thomas for a very long time.  Then he got into watching The Next Generation again and realized that's Will Riker's (Number 1) name and wanted it to be William Thomas Riker LN.  And we had a joke for a long time that if we ever had twin boys they'd be Jethro and Josiah nn Jed because we loved NCIS and The West Wing.  And then another joke that we'd use Daniel and Ephraim because we loved the musical Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

He also jokes that we are having 47 children because I keep going back and forth on how many and he's tired of talking about it.

But one day I was particularly stressed and he suggested Anastasia in seriousness because he knew finding a name would help me and it was perfect.  So, he can get serious when he needs to.

FWIW, I really like Moses.  Not exactly the same genre as Francis and Theodore but still nice.  Solomon is also nice.  I don't care for Salmon, lol!  Even Tecumseh is better!

Guess it's time for a break from talking about baby names?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageclairebear8675309:
    lol! You are not alone my friend!  My husband is ridiculous. His latest name kick is "Birmigham"  after Birmingham England where he is from. Really? It has been a constant struggle. grrrr.

I would think of Birmingham, Mississippi first.  A site of violent upheaval during the Civil Rights Movement.   If you're in the states, that's something to consider.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageaustenreader85:

And then another joke that we'd use Daniel and Ephraim because we loved the musical Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

When I was in HS I want 3 kids, B/G/B. I wanted to name the first son Adam Benjamin Caleb after the first 3 Pontipee brothers. Embarrassed

Married 9-4-04

• imagequeenbone:
    imageaustenreader85:

And then another joke that we'd use Daniel and Ephraim because we loved the musical Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

When I was in HS I want 3 kids, B/G/B. I wanted to name the first son Adam Benjamin Caleb after the first 3 Pontipee brothers. Embarrassed

What's with the blushing face?!  This is not normal?  Because DH and I are pretty serious about this.  Lol.  We got DS to crawl towards an iphone playing "Sobbin' Women."  It was his favorite song for the longest time.  In reality it probably wouldn't stick, but we'd probably consider it for a long time.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am not even pregnant or planning to have another LO soon, but sometimes baby names come up. In the last week FI has suggested Zenobia nn Zoe, Esther and Anakin (sp?) so I feel your pain. The worst part of Anakin is his LN is Walker. Get it?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • imageaustenreader85:
    imagequeenbone:
    imageaustenreader85:

What's with the blushing face?!  This is not normal?  Because DH and I are pretty serious about this.  Lol.  We got DS to crawl towards an iphone playing "Sobbin' Women."  It was his favorite song for the longest time.  In reality it probably wouldn't stick, but we'd probably consider it for a long time.

Yes

We bought a new car before DS2 was born and I finally had to retire my 7BF7B cassette. It was a sad day.  Clearly I need to upgrade to a modern version of the soundtrack!

Married 9-4-04

• imageWinIvesMomma:
    If this baby would have been a boy my husband liked the name Bear. 

This made me LOL.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DH loves some weird names.  When we were pregnant with DD I thought he was kidding about a lot of them, but thank goodness we had a girl otherwise we would have had a Lucius Tiberius on our hands.  
    January siggy challenge: winter weather fails

• My H loves making up names.  This morning's was Wasabi Pea LN.

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• One day DH got smart and suggested qui gon jinn...I said no but I'd let you have Liam (the actor who played him)...and there you have it, DS's name.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagePrincessFiona9:
    I am not even pregnant or planning to have another LO soon, but sometimes baby names come up. In the last week FI has suggested Zenobia nn Zoe, Esther and Anakin (sp?) so I feel your pain. The worst part of Anakin is his LN is Walker. Get it?

This was another of DH suggestions...I nixed it pretty quick.

• You are definitely not alone. My husband doesn't want to have a serious conversation about names. I know I'm still pretty early this time around, but through any of my pregnancies all he would suggest are names from video games. Like Cortana, Gladys, and Master Chief..... And he seems to generally not like anything. He said he doesn't want to think about names until I'm close to due or at least know if it is a boy or girl. But I know from the experience with my son that we probably still won't have that conversation. Last time I made a list made combinations I liked and he looked at it and picked the one he decided he didn't hate. I would love to not have that experience again. lol

Anyway I would think of the fish if I saw/heard the name Salmon. Especially since your DH already said Salmonella, that would toss that name right out for me. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
  • Wow.. are ya'll married to 12 year old boys here?   :)

Those are all names for future pet animals, not humans!

Salmon... no matter how you justify it, pronounce it or explain it away.. it still is a fish.   It is not a good name for a person.   Put the shoe on the other foot... how would YOU/your HUSBAND like to be named Salmon???  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagePrincessFiona9:
    I am not even pregnant or planning to have another LO soon, but sometimes baby names come up. In the last week FI has suggested Zenobia nn Zoe, Esther and Anakin (sp?) so I feel your pain. The worst part of Anakin is his LN is Walker. Get it?

This is hilarious!! I had to read it to my husband - he wants to know if your DH wants to name a girl "Sky" lol!

DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • That is too funny! You're not the only one, we're not even pregnant yet and thinking of names too. We have all boys and hoping for a girl but keep thinking of boys names only. I let my husband name my youngest and no one liked his name for the first few months. Then once our families fell in love with him they stopped focusing on his name and more on our son. So be open minded (to a certain extent) and let the name sink in a few days if you still like it go for it! =)
  • Salmon P. Chase college of Law is near my hometown and they pronounce it with the L included. (So not like the fish)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think I'm going to have to go thank my husband after reading this thread :). I've always taken it for granted that we agree so easily on names. 

DS1 - We didn't even discuss boys names after I found out I was pregnant, we just knew that we both loved the name and we would use his dad's name for a middle name. I suggested a girl's name (that was stolen from some "friends" of ours later) and he loved that one too.

DS2 - We had two names we loved and I let DH pick his favorite.

DD - Our previous girl's name was stolen, so I vetoed that one and came up with a new one that I loved - luckily DH loves it too, so that will be her name (middle name is still the same as the original girl's name). If this one had been a boy, that was the only real discussion we had, but only because we had used the majority of family names for boys and were running out of options (we like family names).

DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • DH's two favorite names are James Dean (nn Jimmy Dean) and and Yonah, which is the local mountain he likes to hike. And he is 100% serious.
    Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • No you are not alone.  My husband's top pick is James Tiberious Kirk LN. 

Anniversary

BabyFetus Ticker
  • image+ASH+:

imagePrincessFiona9:

This is hilarious!! I had to read it to my husband - he wants to know if your DH wants to name a girl "Sky" lol!

Yeah, Annika Sky hahah
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • imageBrideBuddies:

Wow.. are ya'll married to 12 year old boys here?   :)

Salmon... no matter how you justify it, pronounce it or explain it away.. it still is a fish.   It is not a good name for a person.   Put the shoe on the other foot... how would YOU/your HUSBAND like to be named Salmon???  

Um, well I don't know about any other husbands but most of the time mine was joking or just gong out on a limb. I'm pretty sure OP mentioned that she thought the suggestion was ridiculous. All in all I think this was just a light hearted thread. Relax.

• Luckily SO hasn't suggested anything bad but he did suggest Beau Hunter for a pretend boy name and I rolled with that and suggested Cammie Flage for a pretend girl name, haha!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Megatron. Nuff said.

bfp #1 10/15/2009 m/c 11/4/09 10 weeks Lily you are not forgotten
    bfp #2 4/5/2010 CP, m/c 4/12/10 5 weeks Baby Lo
    Diagnosed PCOS 10/10 RX 1500 mg Metformin/day
    bfp#3 4/5/2011 Missed m/c discovered 5/24/2011 (10w 5d) baby Asher stopped growing at 6 weeks
    I know he is playing with his siblings in heaven right now...

rx'd factor II gene mutation 7/11 prescribed 5000 units Heparin daily
    rx'd Sjogren's Disease 8/11

bfp #4 9-6-2012 RAINBOW Baby Ky born 5-9-13
    bfp #5 8-26-14  RAINBOW #2 Due 5-8-2015

baby development
  • imagenykkybaby:
    Megatron. Nuff said.

Yes! lol I think you win right now.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
  • Surf n Turf! 

• imageZimger:
    imageBrideBuddies:

Um, well I don't know about any other husbands but most of the time mine was joking or just gong out on a limb. I'm pretty sure OP mentioned that she thought the suggestion was ridiculous. All in all I think this was just a light hearted thread. Relax.

That was sarcasm, Zim!  

• DH had some crazy ideas for DD, especially before we knew she was a girl.  For instance, Cotton and Increase, like the Mathers.  (Cotton would also be a horrible pun with our last name.)  Aspirin - I have no idea where that came from.  And Tuscaloosa, because he insisted she was conceived there, although that is almost certainly impossible.  Guys are weird.

I always wondered where the heck the Salmon in Salmon Chase came from - I had no idea it was from Solomon.  Interesting!

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • imageBrideBuddies:
    imageZimger:
    imageBrideBuddies:

That was sarcasm, Zim!  

I thought it might be but the last part seemed pretty intense. You know how people can get all worked up. Wink Just making sure.

• DH came up with the "name" Tepi for our DD. He was very proud of himself. I was not as impressed. Luckily, he let Tepi go. 
  • imagequeenbone:

You know how I'm always saying that I think the human gestation period is 9 months because that's how long it takes the dads to get on board with being serious about naming the baby? Well, it isn't any different the third time around.

All through the first pregnancy DH wanted to name the baby Moses. He's back on a Moses kick this time too. Except this time he has decided it would be awesome to name him Moses Tecumseh LN, you know since Wm. Tecumseh Sherman was the first Buckeye to burn a couch to celebrate a victory. Confused

I just finished reading Gore Vidal's Lincoln last week which DH had already read. We're getting all excited about watching the movie and were talking about all the people and we got on the topic of Salmon Portland Chase, who was the Sec. of the Treasury and went on the be a Supreme Court Justice. We thought that was interesting since he was from Ohio, but it is such an Oregon centric name now. I was wondering if the name was pronounced like the fish (silent L) or more like Salman Rushdie. DH looked it up on some website which said it was a variant of Solomon. So now DH thinks that Salmon LN would be perfect for this baby. I'm not sure if he's joking or not. As a joke I suggested Salmon Angus LN and now he regrets that we aren't having twins because they could be Salmon and Angus and he could NN them Surf n Turf. Lord, help me!

I often toss out girl names on our list when referring to the baby to see how they sound. DH corrected me and said, "You mean little Salmon."  And then his eyes lit up and he said, "You mean Little Salmonella!" Sigh! So if DH had his way this baby would be named for a fish or a bacteria. Perfect.

Please tell me I'm not the only one suffering through ridiculous name suggestions!

this made me literally LOL!

OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageKimbus22:
    My son's middle name is a dinosaur because my husband could not come up with a normal name to save his life.

Wow.   Your son is darling, but I wouldn't have had the guts to let my husband do that!

• imagequeenbone:
    imageaustenreader85:
    imagequeenbone:
    imageaustenreader85:

Yes

We bought a new car before DS2 was born and I finally had to retire my 7BF7B cassette. It was a sad day.  Clearly I need to upgrade to a modern version of the soundtrack!

All the love for Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is making me happy! My parents were looking for "D" Bible names for us, and I was THIS CLOSE to being named Dorcas. When I was a kid (and watching this movie practically every day) I wished they had named me Dorcas so I could be like the character. Needless to say, I now realize I'm glad I did not grow up with that name...

• Sadly, I know a little boy named Salmon. His middle name is River. At least they call him Sammy.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"