October 2011 Moms

Shoes question (non-clicky poll)

What kind of shoes does your LO wear (standard shoes, soft soled shoes, etc.)? Also, is there a rule of thumb to follow as to what kinds of shoes they should wear at certain ages?

I am asking because DS was in soft sole shoes then we moved him into the Robeez "mini-shoez". We also got him a brand new pair of soft sole boots which we waterproofed. He has a pair of Chucks and some chunky Garanimal shoes but I don't feel that he is old enough to be wearing those all of the time so he is usually in his new soft sole boots. Daycare has been putting him in the Garanimal shoes when he goes outside. If you have any comments or thoughts on my DS's shoe situation I would like to hear them.

Here is what DS's Garanimal shoes look like...

image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Shoes question (non-clicky poll)

• If she's going to be walking outside I put her in something with a real sole because the ground is cold and sometimes wet.
  • DS only has Stride Rite sneakers.  They are the "early walkers" ones.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageamyc216:
    DS only has Stride Rite sneakers.  They are the "early walkers" ones.

This is what DD wears, too. Her walking improved when we switched from Robeez to Stride Rite. Maybe it was the shoe, maybe it was just the timing.

• Gator has tons of shoes in all different types. But if we got outside, she is usually in See Kai Run hard soled if she isn't wearing something like rain boots.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Personally, I wouldn't put him in the Garanimals.  I know a ton of people here stick their kids in hard soled/stride rite-type shoes, but the AAP says soft-soled shoes until at least 18 months.

"In fact, shoes that are rigid prevent foot motion and may diminish the development of the intrinsic musculature of the feet. Properly fitting shoes that have flexible, smooth soles and soft uppers should be recommended initially and subsequently. They need not be expensive. Toddlers can go barefoot in a protected environment, such as indoors. Sneakers are perfectly adequate for summer wear and for winter indoor wear for older children, but toddlers may stumble in sneakers, which can stick to the floor during the stance and step-off phases of the toe-to-heel gait that typifies this age group."

And since I know you like cites, this is from the AAP Textbook of Pediatric Care. (Robert A. Hoekelman, MD; Maurice J. Chianese, MD)

But I also get my running shoes professionally fit, because I've seen the issues caused by poor shoe fit!  So I might be an outlier on this one.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageElsa1984:
    Gator has tons of shoes in all different types. But if we got outside, she is usually in See Kai Run hard soled if she isn't wearing something like rain boots.

I forgot to add that indoors, she is either barefoot or in socks with the grippers on the bottom. I have Skidders, the half sock half rubber shoe bottom, for her but she doesn't like wearing them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • B usually only wears shoes if we are out and about and he will be walking, if we are at home or someone else's house he wears socks. If we are out and about then he just wears sneakers, but he doesn't wear those all too much!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageblu-eyedwife:

Personally, I wouldn't put him in the Garanimals.  I know a ton of people here stick their kids in hard soled/stride rite-type shoes, but the AAP says soft-soled shoes until at least 18 months.

"In fact, shoes that are rigid prevent foot motion and may diminish the development of the intrinsic musculature of the feet. Properly fitting shoes that have flexible, smooth soles and soft uppers should be recommended initially and subsequently. They need not be expensive. Toddlers can go barefoot in a protected environment, such as indoors. Sneakers are perfectly adequate for summer wear and for winter indoor wear for older children, but toddlers may stumble in sneakers, which can stick to the floor during the stance and step-off phases of the toe-to-heel gait that typifies this age group."

And since I know you like cites, this is from the AAP Textbook of Pediatric Care. (Robert A. Hoekelman, MD; Maurice J. Chianese, MD)

But I also get my running shoes professionally fit, because I've seen the issues caused by poor shoe fit!  So I might be an outlier on this one.

Everything I've read says that about prolonged wearing, not occasional use. What else would you put them in to walk outside on wet frozen ground? 

• imagecantalopes24:

Everything I've read says that about prolonged wearing, not occasional use. What else would you put them in to walk outside on wet frozen ground? 

I guess I don't get how soft-soled shoes wouldn't work for that.  The child isn't barefoot, and soft soled uppers are made of the same material that harder soled shoes uppers are made of, so the wet part shouldn't make  difference.  As for frozen, again, the child isn't barefoot, there is a flexible sole - which actually allows them to grip the ground in a safer manner than a hard sole would - so they are still protected from the temperature.

Citing from the same source:

"Parents often ask the physician when their child should begin wearing shoes and what kind of shoe should be worn. In answering these questions, the reasons for wearing shoes must be borne in mind. The shoe has two functions, the most important of which is protecting the feet from trauma and extreme temperatures. Protection implies comfort; therefore the shoe must fit properly to prevent discomfort to the foot. The 2nd function of the shoe is to provide style. Older children will often sacrifice comfort for style despite parental or medical advice to the contrary."

- So there is a realization that the shoe's purpose is to protect the foot, and soft soles are still recommended for that purpose.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • When we go out, she's usually either in Uggs, Tom's, or Nike Shox.  At home, she's always barefoot.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageblu-eyedwife:
    imagecantalopes24:

I guess I don't get how soft-soled shoes wouldn't work for that.  The child isn't barefoot, and soft soled uppers are made of the same material that harder soled shoes uppers are made of, so the wet part shouldn't make  difference.  As for frozen, again, the child isn't barefoot, there is a flexible sole - which actually allows them to grip the ground in a safer manner than a hard sole would - so they are still protected from the temperature.

Citing from the same source:

"Parents often ask the physician when their child should begin wearing
    shoes and what kind of shoe should be worn. In answering these
    questions, the reasons for wearing shoes must be borne in mind. The shoe
    has two functions, the most important of which is protecting the feet
    from trauma and extreme temperatures. Protection implies comfort;
    therefore the shoe must fit properly to prevent discomfort to the foot.
    The 2nd function of the shoe is to provide style. Older children will
    often sacrifice comfort for style despite parental or medical advice to
    the contrary."

- So there is a realization that the shoe's purpose is to protect the foot, and soft soles are still recommended for that purpose.

If you're talking about a flexible rubber sole then were talking about the same thing just calling it something different. If you're talking about the fabricy type shoes I would not let my kid play outside in them because there's no way they protect their feet from wet and cold. And if it snows they're wearing snow boots. The small amount they wear them is better than them walking around in basically socks.
  • DS wears the stride rite shoes with the soft rubber sole. They are more protective than the robeez type soft shoe, but still flexible. He only wears them if we are out. I don't plan on putting him in hard rubber soled shoes for awhile if I can help it. I do have a pair of hard soled snow boots, that were a hand me down, that I may use if he goes out to play in he snow. We haven't had any snow yet here though, and even if we do he won't be wearing them for more than a half an hour once or twice for the entire winter.
  • Norah wears her Uggs or Pumas just for going out but if she is going to church, etc., she has a pair of See Kai Run shoes. She didn't like shoes & couldn't walk very well in them until we found her Pumas. She is on her 2nd pair (she out-grew her 1st pair).

Here are the Pumas she has:

https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_451412_-1__?color=White-Dewberry-Puma+Silver-Gray&Ntt=puma+toddler&Ntk=All

I found a boys' pair that looks kinda similar:

https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_436244_-1__?color=White%2fHigh+Risk+Red&Ntt=puma+toddler&Ntk=All

imageimage
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    ~ Winston Churchill
  • imageSuperDeDuper:
    T wears shoes likenbsp;these most of the time:We also bought her a pair like this, but they didn't stay on her feet very well:For the couple times she's played in the snow, and for traveling around in the car while it's cold out she wears these:But we change her straight back into that first pair once we get where we're going.nbsp; All of the above are shoes I bought at Target.

We think alike! These are all EXACTLY the shoes my DD wears. We also had fit issues with the more slipper like ones and don't use them anymore.

She wears the soft soled ones at home and for running errands and inside activities. If she's going to be walking around outside, we put the boots on since it is cold and often wet or muddy.

• imageblu-eyedwife:

Personally, I wouldn't put him in the Garanimals.  I know a ton of people here stick their kids in hard soled/stride rite-type shoes, but the AAP says soft-soled shoes until at least 18 months.

ITA with you.  About a month or two ago C got his first pair of shoes. We got him fitted at Stride Rite and got him those soft motion shoes.  He wears them outside, every other time he wears socks or barefoot. Friends have given C old shoes to wear and I don't have him wear them. I may be snooty, but I want him to wear shoes that are not already broken in by another foot.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • inside the house DD is always barefoot.

if we go out in the yard, she has roxy slippers.

if we go out to dinner or the mall, she wears either soft soled shoes from old navy, toms ballet flats, or squeakerz...depending on what matches her outfit.

at school, DD wears nike shoes for playing outside on the playground.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageblu-eyedwife:

Hahaha! I love the citation! Smile

It was very helpful to know what everyone else is doing for shoes. I don't really want him in the Converse or Garanimals very often or for long periods of time because I was familiar with the AAP recs. I guess it may be OK for him to wear the Garanimals only at daycare and on occasion (hopefully without stumbling) since he is in soft soles or barefoot the rest of the time. I should probably start looking into shoes that are more similar to the Robeez "Mini Shoez" again. Unfortunately, the nearest Stride Rite is 6 hours from here. Sad 

KnoxBride, I love those Pumas! 

image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageKrisM86:
    imageSuperDeDuper:
    T wears shoes likenbsp;these most of the time:We also bought her a pair like this, but they didn't stay on her feet very well:For the couple times she's played in the snow, and for traveling around in the car while it's cold out she wears these:But we change her straight back into that first pair once we get where we're going.nbsp; All of the above are shoes I bought at Target.
    We think alike! These are all EXACTLY the shoes my DD wears. We also had fit issues with the more slipper like ones and don't use them anymore. She wears the soft soled ones at home and for running errands and inside activities. If she's going to be walking around outside, we put the boots on since it is cold and often wet or muddy.

Nora also wears exactly what Super posted.  We're indoors most of the time, so she's barefoot most of the time. 

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• imagesmit5009:
    imageblu-eyedwife:

It was very helpful to know what everyone else is doing for shoes. I don't really want him in the Converse or Garanimals very often or for long periods of time because I was familiar with the AAP recs. I guess it may be OK for him to wear the Garanimals only at daycare and on occasion (hopefully without stumbling) since he is in soft soles or barefoot the rest of the time. I should probably start looking into shoes that are more similar to the Robeez "Mini Shoez" again. Unfortunately, the nearest Stride Rite is 6 hours from here. Sad 

Stride Rite is sold at Nordstroms. Also, depending on what way you come over to Seattle, there is a Stride Rite outlet in North Bend (off of I 90)

• imageChunstad:
    imagesmit5009:
    imageblu-eyedwife:

Stride Rite is sold at Nordstroms. Also, depending on what way you come over to Seattle, there is a Stride Rite outlet in North Bend (off of I 90)

I had no idea they were sold at Nordstrom. Thanks for letting me know. I may have to make stop at Stride Rite when we make it to Seattle since we would be taking I-90.

• DD has a lot of trouble walking in soft soled shoes. She turns her feet in pretty bad and gets tripped when she wears them. She has 2 pairs of the chunky sneakers and a pair of boots.

We leave her barefoot as much as possible.
  • imagesmit5009:
    imageChunstad:
    imagesmit5009:
    imageblu-eyedwife:

What I did was go and get fitted at the store, then I purchased the shoes on babysteals.com when they had their sale.  I got his shoes for $23 out the door.  You can do the same, just get fitted at Nordy's.

I had no idea they were sold at Nordstrom. Thanks for letting me know. I may have to make stop at Stride Rite when we make it to Seattle since we would be taking I-90.

• imageamyc216:
    DS only has Stride Rite sneakers.  They are the "early walkers" ones.

This is what DD wears most of the time.  She also has a couple pairs of toms that she really likes and then a couple pairs of "dressy" shoes.

Married 08/18/07
    BFP 02/15/11 EDD 10/27/11 Born at 35w3d on 09/25/11 
    BFP 10/13/12 EDD 06/25/13 Born at 37w0d on 06/04/13

BFP 12/11/15 EDD 08/23/16 Early miscarriage

BFP 02/02/16 EDD 10/16/16

BabyFetus Ticker

• We have both soft soled Pedipeds and rubber soled See Kai Run shoes for DD. The only reason she's still in the soft soled Pedipeds is because her feet are tiny and I bought them right after she was born thinking they would fit her last fall/winter. 

I'm a bit of a shoe snob and keep them in flexible soled shoes until 2. After DS turned 2 we let him start wearing hard soled Vans along with his Pediped Flex shoes.

BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • R has the shoes in your OP exactly.  He isn't walking yet, but I still like to have a "real" shoe on him as it gets COLD here!
    Married 08.19.06 ~ DS 9.30.11 ~ Baby #2 EDD 11.28.18

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"