October 2012 Moms

Piercing ears, when?

Mobile: piercing ears, when?

Those that have girls, when are you planning on piercing your daughter's ears?

I want to do it when my LO is a baby, but not sure when I'm going to do. And I may make my husband take her haha. My sister and I both got ours pierced when we were babies with no problems. I could be totally making this up but I feel like when its done young, it's less likely to get infected or cause problems. I've had a couple friends that have either gotten their first hole pierced later on or their second hole, and they seem to get infected or can't wear costume jewelry, not everyone but many . Maybe I'm just trying to justify myself because I know many people are against it lol. I'd rather deal with cleaning and taking care of them while she's little than nagging her when she's older because lets face it, kids will be kids.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Piercing ears, when?

• Honestly, I think if you want to do it as a baby, do it now, or yesterday. Once she's getting grabby, I'd wait until she's quite a bit older.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageelfchique:
    Honestly, I think if you want to do it as a baby, do it now, or yesterday. Once she's getting grabby, I'd wait until she's quite a bit older.

Agree. I don't have a girl but my friend's pedi told her to do it before six months. Like pp said they get grabby and start pulling at them. You can always ask your pedi I know line does them.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I'm not against it, but I am waiting just because it will be a special mommy/daughter day when she decides she wants her ears pierced. I still remember the day mine were done fondly and how much fun I had with earrings once they were healed. I was 8.
  • Age 10 or 12.
    Birthday

• We were asked this and DH was vehemently against this. After thinking it through, I probably won't do it until 6 or 7. I can't understand hurting my baby so that she can look fashionable. I also don't like two piece bathing suits on babies.
    BabyFruit Ticker image image Oct Angel Babies
  • We're doing it soon, and I can't wait!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love my mother's stance on this...waiting until they are old enough to ask but no younger than 5. I don't feel it's my place to make that kind of cosmetic decision for my child. What if they never want their ears pierced?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• imageDML2010:
    We were asked this and DH was vehemently against this. After thinking it through, I probably won't do it until 6 or 7. I can't understand hurting my baby so that she can look fashionable. I also don't like two piece bathing suits on babies.

How are these things related?!
    Birthday

• If I had a girl I'd wait. I got mine when I was 9, and I remember my mom made a big day out of it. I got o choose my studs, and they taught me how to care or my ears. I felt so grown up. 

Retrieval - 33 Eggs, 29 Fertilized, 14 Frosties
    IVF #1 - 3/17/2011 - 2 Blasts

3/31/2011 - Beta #1 - 395 BFP
    4/04/2011 - Beta #2 - 1458
    4/8/2011 - Ultrasound - little bean measures 5wks 2dys
    4/9/2011 - Confirmed miscarriage
    FET #1 - 6/23/2011 - 2 blasts (already hatching)

7/7/2011 - Beta #1 - BFN
    FET #2 - 8/18/2011 - 2 blasts

9/1/2011 - Beta #1 - BFN
    Second Hysteroscopy - 9/15/2011

Uterine Septum Found and Removed
    FET #3 - 11/23/2011 - 3 blasts, 1 already hatching

12/7/2011 - Beta #1 - 193 BFP
    12/8/2011 - Beta #1.5 - 320
    12/9/2011- Beta #2 - 454
    12/16/2011- 2nd Miscarriage
    FET #4 - 3/1/2012 4 blasts

3/12/2012 - Beta #1 454 BFP
    3/15/2012 - Beta #2 1520
    3/19/2012 - Beta #3 5000 plus
    3/20/2012 - Ultrasound #1 Triplets
    6/11/2012 - Expecting 2 Boys
    10/01/2012 - Welcome to the world Bryce and Charlie
    PAIF & SAIF Always Welcome Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Siggy Challenge:The Day My Embryos Were Transferred image
  • I think we'll do it when she asks us/wants them pierced.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagedanienross:
    I love my mother's stance on this...waiting until they are old enough to ask but no younger than 5. I don't feel it's my place to make that kind of cosmetic decision for my child. What if they never want their ears pierced?

this exactly. I will wait until she asks for them. Its what my mother did for my sisters and myself. When we were old enough to clean them ourselves, we asked and she brought us to our pediatrician and we picked out our studs. I want to say that we were each 8 years old when my mom took us. It was nice to have that special day with just me and my mom. She even took me to lunch afterwards

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker} Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I didn't get my ears pierced until I was 6 or 7 and asked my parents.  I'll wait for LO to develop an interest, too. 
  • Old enough to ask. I think I was around 7 when my mom let me do it. My sisters waited until they were 16 and 15. I don't see a reason to make the decision for my daughter. Not about something as frivolous as getting her ears pierced.

Although if I had identical twin girls, I might do it just to make it easier to tell them apart. One with purple and one with pink. ;)

• imagedanienross:
    I love my mother's stance on this...waiting until they are old enough to ask but no younger than 5. I don't feel it's my place to make that kind of cosmetic decision for my child. What if they never want their ears pierced?

I agree with this. That's what I'd do if I had a girl. I have a friend who at 30 has never had or wanted to have her ears pierced. I don't think it's necessary, so let the kid decide.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • My mom did mine when I was 3 months old.  If I had a girl, I would do the same!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrs.G123:
    imageDML2010:
    We were asked this and DH was vehemently against this. After thinking it through, I probably won't do it until 6 or 7. I can't understand hurting my baby so that she can look fashionable. I also don't like two piece bathing suits on babies.

How are these things related?!

Both are inappropriate I guess was my thought.
    BabyFruit Ticker image image Oct Angel Babies
  • Alice can have hers done when she is old enough to ask for it and mature enough to take care of them.

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Oct Angel Babies
  • I got my girls ears pierced the day she turned 3 months. She cried for 3 seconds and forgot all about it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers -- Lilypie Second Birthday tickers -- Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Please keep this in mind when you decide to pierce baby's ears. DD1 got hers done when she was 7.  She asked for them and we made a big deal out of getting them.  She kept them clean (I watched her do this twice a day), turned them daily and did everything she was supposed to do.  We bought her the more expensive hypoallergenic studs to avoid any issues.

Well, within 4 weeks, she began to have an allergic reaction to the studs.  We took them out hoping that it would clear up.  The skin peeled around her ears, both front and back.  They would bleed and had blisters that would ooze.  It was awful for her, they burned and itched at the same time for about 2 weeks despite seeing the pedi and a dermatologist. Needless to say, she is almost 13 and wants nothing to do with having her ears pierced ever again.  Now imagine if that were to happen to your 3 month old because you wanted them to look cute.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagedanienross:

this! 

•  We did LO's about a month ago...I thought she was going to freak like she did for her needles but she almost slept right through it,  It was no big deal at all.  It has been very easy to care for and she never touches them.They never seemed to bother her.
  • My daughter is 2.5 and we discussed when she was a baby SO wanted to wait until she was old enough to make the choice herself. So that is what we are doing. I will give her the option around 5.
  • I think this can also be cultural. In my culture (Indian) we usually pierce baby girl's ears around 3 months. That's when I had mine done.

That being said, LO is 3 months old and MH and I are on the fence about it. If we don't decide to do it soon then we will wait until she's old enough to ask for it.

• I did my daughters at 4 months. She didn't cry and neveressed with them. Needless to say, she hates them now and pulls them out. She is 2.
  • imagedanienross:

This. I got mine done in kindergarten and I still remember going to have it done.  I dont want to make that decision for her 

• imagedanienross:

This exactly! My parents made me wait til I was 5 (I started asking about 6 mos before). They knew that I wanted it, and that I was old enough to not play with them. This is my stance on it too. If Clara decides she wants them done someday, she can...but I'm not going to make that decision for her. 

• DD will have them done in about a week, our pedi offers this in her office so I feel a little better about it.
  • imageAnnie10:

When she can take care of them herself and expresses a real desire, not peer pressure.

Don't even get me started on piercing a baby's ears. I am ver strongly against it. To me its a form of child abuse. 

Seriously? That's kind of a ridiculous statement.

• imageAnnie10:
    When she can take care of them herself and expresses a real desire, not peer pressure.Don't even get me started on piercing a baby's ears. I am very strongly against it. Why? Just why? nbsp;IMO its a form of child abuse.nbsp;

Really?? How do you feel about circumcision?
  • imageAnnie10:

imagekplaxco85:
    imageAnnie10:
    When she can take care of them herself and expresses a real desire, not peer pressure.Don't even get me started on piercing a baby's ears. I am very strongly against it. Why? Just why? nbsp;IMO its a form of child abuse.nbsp;

Really?? How do you feel about circumcision?

We didn't circumcise. 

And people who did choose it, did they abuse their child?
  • imageAnnie10:
    imageMrsNorry:
    imageAnnie10:

When she can take care of them herself and expresses a real desire, not peer pressure.

Don't even get me started on piercing a baby's ears. I am ver strongly against it. To me its a form of child abuse. 

How in the world is that ridiculous? You are puncturing a child's ears. Why? For your own selfish desire to make your daughter look pretty?  

First of all, as I said earlier in the thread it could be CULTURAL. Second of all, who are you to judge why someone pierces their kid's ears? If it were "abuse" there would be an age limit and/or it would be illegal.

• I got mine done as a baby and I'm happy my mom did it as I don't even remember pain and I would think it might hurt less? Also my holes never close even if I go years without wearing them which I attribute to getting it done early though I'm not sure if its true. 

I would get dds done now not bc I want her to look cute but bc she won't have to do it later. Lets face it, there aren't many girls who don't want it. And besides, letting a child get them at age 5 to me does not constitute letting them choose. They are too young to understand, u wouldn't let them choose to get a tattoo at that age would u? 

The only thing holding me back is I would be nervous she would choke on it! 

• imageMrsNorry:
    imageAnnie10:
    imageMrsNorry:
    imageAnnie10:

How in the world is that ridiculous? You are puncturing a child's ears. Why? For your own selfish desire to make your daughter look pretty?  

First of all, as I said earlier in the thread it could be CULTURAL. Second of all, who are you to judge why someone pierces their kid's ears? If it were "abuse" there would be an age limit and/or it would be illegal.

I agree!

Its not a cultural thing for me, I guess since I got them done so young that its not a big deal for me. I don't think it's abuse or inappropriate, but that's just me. Yeah, I'll definitely feel bad when she's crying, but it doesn't last long and she'll never remember. And if she doesnt like them, nothing says she can't take them out! I think that's a cute idea that many of you are making a special day of it, I'm sure that'll be fun. 

• imageCP0979:

I got mine done as a baby and I'm happy my mom did it as I don't even remember pain and I would think it might hurt less? Also my holes never close even if I go years without wearing them which I attribute to getting it done early though I'm not sure if its true. 

I would get dds done now not bc I want her to look cute but bc she won't have to do it later. Lets face it, there aren't many girls who don't want it. And besides, letting a child get them at age 5 to me does not constitute letting them choose. They are too young to understand, u wouldn't let them choose to get a tattoo at that age would u? 

The only thing holding me back is I would be nervous she would choke on it! 

Haha good point! I completely agree! 

• We got DD's ears pierced right around 3 months. She cried for about 30 seconds and then she was over it. She cried much longer (and louder) over vaccines. I think it was a really good age. They were super easy to take care of and we've never had a problem with her messing with them. She's 2 now and LOVES getting new earrings and picking out which ones she wants to wear, so I'm glad we got them pierced when we did.
    imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"