High-Risk Pregnancy

GD question

I checked my sugar an hr after dinner tonight and it was 126, I checked again pricking another finger and it was 112. When I checked 2hrs after dinner it was 120. I don't understand why it would go from 126 to 112 within a minute on different fingers. Do you think the meter could be defective or it was a defective test strip? This is the only explanation I can think of.

PS I don't see a doctor until Friday so I really have no instructions on when to be checking my sugar my sister is type 1 and told me that 1hr after eating is around when my sugar would spike and then 2 hr check is to make sure it is going down to normal and I could test before meals as well.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: GD question

• I'm a T1, and I know that most meters have an accuracy of /20... meaning that one stick of 80 and another of 120 could be completely normal.

Maybe check the accuracy of your meter/brand...

I also agree that 1 hr after a meal would be the peak BG, and 3hrs next meal should be back to fasting.

Good luck!
  • I am borrowing a one touch ultra mini from my sister so I have no papers on it or anything. I guess I could check online somewhere but thanks I had no idea the numbers could be that far off.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • This happens to me often.  Once you get more experience checking your sugars, you'll know when a number is really off and you need to retest it.  For now, spare your fingers and save your test strips.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • While there can be an error rate, it could be that your meter isn't calibrated or you are using test strips that haven't been calibrated with the meter, or the meter or test strips are expired. Especially, since you are borrowing it from your sister.

Ask your sister if she still has the control solution that came with the meter.Then, run a test with your test strips and control solution. On the test strip bottle (usually at the bottom), it will list the parameters for what the results should be. If your results fall outside that parameter, you will not receive accurate results.

Technically, you should do a control test every time you open a new bottle of strips.

Hope that helps! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagePrivacyWanted:
    There's a known error rate in all meters. I have a one touch and a 10 pt range is not unheard of. I only retest if the number is crazy high or unexpected. They look for a pattern of highs not justone to eliminate the error rate

And honestly, rechecking like that is just gonna drive you crazy b/c you will get different results. I try and stick to the same finger unless it gets sore or bruised looking. Also, strips are expensive! I'm of the mind of unless it's stupid high, like I'm supposed to be under 140 at 1 hour post meals, if it were to pop up like 160 I'd retest. But other than that I can't afford financially or mentally to retest all the time. The doctors definitely won't be all crazy about 1-2 highs. They look for consistently high #s all around.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"