March 2013 Moms
Options

Big Baby Boy!

Hey everyone,
My baby is due 3/22/13, today I had a sono to see how big he is and he measures at 33 weeks and estimate weight is 4 lbs. I have 10 weeks to go.... Anyone else having a boy??
I will be opting for a CSection for sure!!

Re: Big Baby Boy!

• Options
    You can "opt" for a c-section?  Yikes!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

FWIW....

My big baby boy was measuring 4lbs. 4oz. at 30w6d. I was a little alarmed by his size and asked my OB what that meant as far as having a vaginal delivery. She stressed to me that a C Section is not an inevitability.

As far as my OB can tell right now, there's no reason why I can't have a vaginal birth.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

They measured mine 3lb 5 oz at 30 weeks. 

Just a heads up measurements can be way off.  With DS1, they measured him over 9 lbs at 40 weeks. I delivered him at almost 41 weeks and he only weighed 6lb 15 oz. a peanut for 41 weeks! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    At 32 weeks, I am measuring at 35. DD is in the 92nd percentile and is estimated to be just short of 6 pounds. I have almost weekly ultrasounds and she has always been consistently in the 90th plus percentile. .

Ultrasound measurements can be off, but even if she is a big baby, there's absolutely no way in hell I'd opt for a csection based on size alone. There's more medical risk involved in csections than in pushing out a big baby. I think it's irresponsible for size to be the reason to have a csection.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I see every body talking about it being irresponsible for getting a csection b/c of size but how would you feel if you opt out b/c of size and then they have to break your baby's collar bone to get him out? I know someone this happened to and I have also hear of them dislocating baby's shoulder to get him out to
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagerottler:
    I see every body talking about it being irresponsible for getting a csection b/c of size but how would you feel if you opt out b/c of size and then they have to break your baby's collar bone to get him out? I know someone this happened to and I have also hear of them dislocating baby's shoulder to get him out to

These types of delivery issues are more often the result of poor positioning, NOT size, even tiny babies can have this problem if they are not positioned well in the birth canal. FWIW, I would not "opt" for a c-section, unless it was deemed medically necessary by my OB/Midwife.  

ETA: I'm just over 30 weeks, and I had an ultrasound yesterday, my little guy is measuring at 33 weeks. My Dr. has said they will keep an eye, and do f/u ultrasounds if he continues to measure big. He is not concerned about my being able to deliver him vaginally at this point (and I am very petite), however like I previously mentioned, I will cross the "c-section/early induction" bridge if/when it's recommended by my Dr.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I say if you want to go for a c-section, go for it.  My mom had 3 c-sections with all of us kids. The first one was because she labored so hard with my sister for so long that they had to do a c-section.  Turns out that my sister was over 10 pounds.  She was too big to come out vaginally.  Because of the way they used to do c-sections back then, my mom had to have a c-section with myself and my brother years later.  She was able to breastfeed us and had no complications from having a c-section.

My sister also had c-sections with both of her boys.  Her first son was measuring big.  They did an ultrasound 3 weeks before he was due, and he was already 9 lbs.  She had a c-section within that week.  She thought it was the best thing in the world for her.  She did it again for her 2nd child (15 years later).  She highly recommends the experience.

As of now, I'm planning on a vaginal delivery, but with my family's history of having big babies, I'm prepared for that I may have to have one too.  If it's recommended, I'll do it.  I've had plenty of friends who have had to have c-sections too due to back related issues and difficult labor.  They all say they would do it again.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageEJBoyce:

I say if you want to go for a c-section, go for it.  My mom had 3 c-sections with all of us kids. The first one was because she labored so hard with my sister for so long that they had to do a c-section.  Turns out that my sister was over 10 pounds.  She was too big to come out vaginally.  Because of the way they used to do c-sections back then, my mom had to have a c-section with myself and my brother years later.  She was able to breastfeed us and had no complications from having a c-section.

My sister also had c-sections with both of her boys.  Her first son was measuring big.  They did an ultrasound 3 weeks before he was due, and he was already 9 lbs.  She had a c-section within that week.  She thought it was the best thing in the world for her.  She did it again for her 2nd child (15 years later).  She highly recommends the experience.

As of now, I'm planning on a vaginal delivery, but with my family's history of having big babies, I'm prepared for that I may have to have one too.  If it's recommended, I'll do it.  I've had plenty of friends who have had to have c-sections too due to back related issues and difficult labor.  They all say they would do it again.

I know several people who have had 10+ pound babies, vaginally and without any medication. Size alone is not always a reason for a c-section. I don't know a single person who would recommend having a c-section.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemrsmcdonald:
    At 32 weeks, I am measuring at 35. DD is in the 92nd percentile and is estimated to be just short of 6 pounds. I have almost weekly ultrasounds and she has always been consistently in the 90th plus percentile. . Ultrasound measurements can be off, but even if she is a big baby, there's absolutely no way in hell I'd opt for a csection based on size alone. There's more medical risk involved in csections than in pushing out a big baby. I think it's irresponsible for size to be the reason to have a csection.

This!  Size is not a reason for c-section without a trial of labor.  There are so many more risks involved and the risk is elevated for future pregnancies as well (whether repeat c-section or VBAC).  I had a c-section with DS and am trying to VBAC this one.  I wish there was more education for ladies before offering them a c-section.  Many doctors are not trained on how to deliver breech babies or reposition babies so they are in a better position to be born vaginally.  I wish I know all of this before my c-section.  

The national average for c-sections is something like 33%... That's SO HIGH.  There's a practice where I live where all the doctors and midwives are trained in repositioning and breech deliveries, and their c-section rate is only 5%.  Those numbers speak loudly to me that we are such a society of convenience and just going with whatever the doctor says... we need to educate ourselves and ask questions as well.  ***Getting off soapbox....but sorry, I feel very strongly about this after my last c-section.  There ARE good reasons for c-sections, but please don't let the fear of a big baby (as PP said, they can be wrong) or convenience make the decision for you.***

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

My little boy, due 3/24, "weighed in" at 3lbs 12oz on Tuesday. I admit, the estimate makes me nervous, but the margin of error is +/- 9oz, so he could be barely over 3lbs.

Still planning on a VBAC. Recovery is much easier. I figure, if my mom could push out my 10lb 11oz brother with no complications, I can handle the possibility of a 9lber. Plus, I got DD1 out "sunny-side up" with only an episiotomy and position matters more than size in the long run, so I can do this too.

DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"