Babies: 6 - 9 Months

When did your LO really take to solids?

I started DD on solids at 7 months (she's 8 months now) and she still only eats a few Tablespoons a day if that. She just doesn't seem interested in food. I've tried a variety of foods, and so far it seems her favorite is brown rice that she can feed herself. I've done mostly purees/mesh feeder and have read a bit on BLW. Curious about your experiences...
www.lulukangaroo.com Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: When did your LO really take to solids?

• Around 6-7 months. That's when we started with puffs, banana, diced avocado, shredded chicken, and other things he could pick up and feed himself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I will start by saying all babies are different......DD was interested in food early 4-5months. At 6 months we started to let her play with/hold/attempt to eat banana,avacado, and sweet potato. Around 7 months we started offering real meals including mashes/thick purees. The first 2 weeks or so she didn't eat that much at all and I was a little frustrated since she showed so much interest...Then I let her taste hummus and she couldn't get enough. That gave me the idea that she just wanted some flavor so I added a little cinnamon to her sweet potato and she loved them :)

Another trick is that she loves to try and feed herself and she likes to chew things (I think due to teething). So I have better luck getting her to eat purees if I alternate between a spoonful of puree and a  small piece of meat or veg/fruit that she can feed herself.

I would have preferred to do BLW only and forego the purees entirely, but DD is very small for her age, only 13.5 lbs at 7 months, and our Dr. encouraged us to have her eat real meals since she was so interested.  

DD has had all of the following with success:

banana, apples, avacado, sweet potato, acorn squash, butternut squash, quinoa, ham, pork loin, chicken, strawberries, peaches, blueberries, broccoli, peas, carrots, chickpeas, mango, pears, and cucumbers.

We tried greek yougurt which she loved too, but had a bad reaction (cvery fussy/cranky and caused exzcema too) so we stopped that for now and will try again in a few months.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm in the same boat.  My daughter is uninterested in food except for yogurt.  I figure she'll start eating more when she's ready.

DD Born 5.9.12

MC March 2016@8.5w

Expecting #2 4/30/17

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • We started solids at 6 months - she's 7 months now and still mostly uninterested.  Totally normal.  We're not pushing it, especially since it's turning out she's got a bunch of allergies.
  • we started with purees at a week before 6 months. It took a solid  3 week, maybe closer to a month, before he started to eat more than an ounce. I never did force him to eat more. I wanted food time to be enjoyable. You baby might be doing fine with just an ounce still. Just keep to the 4 day rule.

And maybe try some things that she can feed her self wtih too. My little man likes to do a combo, i will let him put some finger foods in his mouth, then i feed him, then follow it up with some more finger food or puffs

• We started DS on solids using BLW at 6 months.  He's been at it 3 weeks and it just turned from "playing" to actually eating and he's suddenly willing to sit in his chair for more the 5 minutes.  He's still just exploring a lot but we've seen him swallow very delibrately this week and he's now gets excited when he sees up put things on his tray.  He had no interested in being spoon fed and still won't let us near him with a spoon but he loves sitting in his high chair and trying to figure out how to get things into his mouth.
  • We started with BLW at 6 months and she loved it. She picked up a piece of sweet potato and went to town. She would have eaten an entire sweet potato if we had let her. She can't get enough. I think part of it is she is so excited that she can do it all by herself. Maybe try some soft cooked foods so your LO can feed themselves? Also it's not a big deal if they're not into eating, they will get it eventually.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I started here and there around 5.5 months but didn't constantly start feeding him solids until 6.5 months.  I'm doing mostly purees and just started adding in puffs last week; we tried oranges yesterday and he was not interested at all.  I hear all babies are different and will go at their own pace.  He was eyeing our food a little over 4 months. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"