October 2012 Moms

Startle Reflex

So right now I'm in my room watching LO on the video monitor. He is wide awake, in his crib, sucking on his hands, "talking" and trying to pull his sleep sack into his mouth!

Backstory: Last night was the first night he slept in his crib. He had been sleeping in his swing because of his reflux. During the day I tried putting him down for a nap in his crib and he did real well. So I decided to go for the whole night. He did great. However, when I watched him a couple times I noticed he was picking up his legs and rolling a little. My fear is that he is going to roll over while swaddled and not be able to breathe. Last night I rolled two receiving blankets and shoved them against hips and upper legs. This isn't going to work forever though. 

Tonight is the first night I have tried not swaddling him. I put him in a sleep sack. It isn't going well as you may have noticed. He has a horrible startle reflex which is why I think he doesn't nap during the day, unless swaddled. 

I now have to go swaddle him and get him to fall back asleep.

So I went and swaddled him. All but one arm. I'm watching the monitor and he does keep startling but he isn't waking up yet.

Does anyone know of some method that would decrease how much he startles? From what I read they said it goes away from 4-6 months. I just get worried about him rolling.

TIA for any advice. Thanks also for reading this!!! 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Startle Reflex

• I don't have advice but wish I did....my guy startles too...he always has to nap and sleep swaddled.  He sleeps in a PnP next to our bed and has never rolled back to front...so I'm just really hoping he outgrows the startling before he learns to roll back to front!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

Married the love of my life 7/11/09 - Our first baby, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping 10/25/11 at 33 weeks - Our second baby, BFP 2/4/12, welcome to the world Raylan! Holy Moly, BPF 2/4/14, please be safe and sound little one!

My Blog

• I haven't swaddled Brynlie :x  

She freaks out and screams if I restrain her arms....but her morro (?) reflex isn't to bad unless you touch her while shes asleep. 

He should grow out of it, I would so be worried about rolling while swaddled. I'm a panicker lol 

• Loading the player...
  • imagemeganole25:
    I think you just need to wait for them to grow out of it. We're weaning off the swaddle now but are still keeping one arm in. Both arms out cause too much havoc for Cooper, even during the day.Also, for us, I think he gets that swaddle = sleep, so next will be both arms out. Then we'll transition to a sleep sack.nbsp;

One arm out seems to have done the trick. He still startles but it's not as bad. I also didn't see him picking up his legs.
  • imageRVASC811:
    Is the onearm out swaddle just as safe as two arms out? We've been doing both arms the past couple of nights still swaddled around the middle, and it's not going supergreat, but not awful. Just wanted to see what y'all thought.

What do you mean by safe? I did the one arm because LO has a horrible startle reflex. I feel it's safer for him to have one arm out rather than none because of his attempts to turn over. Yet he isn't ready for two arms because of the startle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"