Toddlers: 24 Months+

at what age is LO starting pre-school?

DS turns 3 this week and I was talking to some moms at play group and the discussion of starting pre-school came up. I never thought of starting it for DS until the fall of age 4 but it seems like a lot of moms are starting it in the fall at age 3. Just curious what you plan on doing. TIA!

Re: at what age is LO starting pre-school?

• I started DD in a two-day a week, two-hour at a time preschool this past year.  She was just shy of 2.5yrs.  Most people I know start sometime between 2 and 3, if they're planning on doing much of this sort of think before kindergarten (and not everyone is).  I did it more for me to have time off than for her, honestly, but it is also good for her.  I don't think I'd want her in any longer than she is - two hours in a row is certainly enough! - and next school year she'll go to three days a week, and then four the year after that.  Then it's kindergarten time!
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As of now my plan is fall after she turns 4 - so fall of 2014 (very slight chance I would do winter of 2014, right before she turns 4).  DD will be 3 at the beginning of February. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DD turned 3 in Sept and started preschool 2 mornings a week (2 hours each morning.)   She loves it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I started DD2 at 2 yo at a program through our YMCA. She goes 2 days/week for 1.5 hours. She absolutely loves it.

Our school district offers public 4K. It's half days, 5 days/week. I think it ends up being 2.5 hours/day.

I'm not sure what we're going to do next year. I can do the 3 yo program through the YMCA, but it's only 2 days/week for 2 hours. I'm not sure that's really enough to get her ready for 5 days/week. Ideally I'd like to do something that's 3-4 days/week...

When DD1 was younger, she was in a daycare center full time, so there were no preschool decision. She started in the preschool room at daycare at 2 years, stayed there at 3 years, and then was bused to 4K at 4 years.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • We just started this week. We are doing 2 days a week now and will gradually increase to 4 days a week until kindie when he will go for 5 days.

I think it's going to be great for him. While I can teach colors and letters I am not a teacher by trade. My son goes to a nationally accredited program run by qualifed early childhood instructors. I think having a strong foundation in education is beneficial for kids long-term. I don't think that means parents *have* to start their kid at 3 but if you can, why not? Another benefit is the 1 on 1 time I get with my younger child.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD just started at a Montessori school.  She will be 3 in 2 weeks, and she is going full time since DH and I both work.  Most people I know started their kids between ages 3 and 4.
  • I'm thinking about enrolling her in the 3yo program at the YMCA this fall. (So she'll be almost 3 and a half.) It's two days a week for 2 hours in the morning. It'll give her something that's all hers and it'll give me some down time with the new baby. 

Whether she does that or not the following year she'll do the 4yo program, which is 5 days a week in the morning. The year after that is kindergarten.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My LO turns 3 in May and registration for headstart (3YO pre-school) enrollment starts at the end of this month for fall. I will be signing her up the first day of enrollment. it is M-Th and is 3 hours each day. 
  • Technically DD is in daycare but they pretty much do a preschool curriculum starting at 21/4-2.5 she moved up at 2 1/4 at the start of the school year. She goes 3 mornings a week from 8-1. She really likes it a lot and it is really good for her since she is so shy. She does well at school ( as far a s the shyness is concerned) so that's good. 

She turn 3 in May and I could start her at the school that she will be going to eventually  this fall but sinc ei work those 3 mornings and the daycare does a good job of preschool I'm going to keep her there for one more year. After that I will start her in regular school, probably full time. 

If I wasn't working I would've put her in something around 2 mostly for the socialization/getting used to other people telling her what to do. She's a total momma's girl and needs soemthing others than momma.  And like Pp said, I am teaching her plenty of stuff but being able to listen to other people and be in a group setting and function is not soemthing I can teach her at home. And some stuff she will do for the teachers and not for me Smile 

• Right when he turns 4. He goes to daycare full time now and it is run similar to preschool already. He won't go to kindergarten till he is one month shy of being 6.
  • As soon as she is potty trained I'd like to send her on a part time basis for now till next Fall. She'll be a little over 2.5.
  • We won't be doing formal preschool. We use an inhome daycare that is licensed for 12. The main provider has been licensed for over 20 years, just after her kids were born, and is certified to teach preschool. She and her other half run the daycare. Its very informal, but she incorporates a lot of preschool in their play, etc.

I have three cousins that are teachers, one that specifically works with younger elementary school kids and she is always commenting how verbal ds1 is, how clear his speech is, etc.

Also all the preschool programs around here are a couple hours long and we have no way to get ds1 to and from since our daycare doesn't transport.

I am not worried. We also try to do library activities whenever possible and attend a playgroup when able.

• DD and DS started this year, DD turned 3 the first week or school and DS turned 2 2 months in, their preschool is only Tuesday-Thursday 9am -1:45pm and works perfectly for all of us.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • He is 3 and will start in the fall.  That is pretty standard around here.
  • We are waiting until age 4.  My DS has a GREAT sitter!  It is pretty much already run like a pre-school.  They learn letters, numbers, shapes, etc...  They also color and paint and do lots of art activities.  They get read to all the time, they go outside and play and even nap right next to one another on nap mats.  He is doing great there!  Plus his bday is August 5 and he will just be turning 4 right when pre-school/school starts.  We are going to start him in kindergarden at 5 though. 

I love his daycare and he is learning lots there...no sense to start pre-school at such a young age of 3.  Just my opinion...

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• imageArdmhs83:

We are waiting until age 4.  My DS has a GREAT sitter!  It is pretty much already run like a pre-school.  They learn letters, numbers, shapes, etc...  They also color and paint and do lots of art activities.  They get read to all the time, they go outside and play and even nap right next to one another on nap mats.  He is doing great there!  Plus his bday is August 5 and he will just be turning 4 right when pre-school/school starts.  We are going to start him in kindergarden at 5 though. 

I love his daycare and he is learning lots there...no sense to start pre-school at such a young age of 3.  Just my opinion...

Eh, I don't think kids that go to daycare need preschool. A good daycare is giving them everything they need--learning, socialization, adapting to the structure/routine, and listening to another adult besides mom or dad are the main points. You can get that from daycare and likely at a far better price than a "preschool" program.

I think preschool is more of a necessity for SAHMs since they have 2/3 day programs for 3ish hours a day. If I could get a good daycare that could offer me those hours and provided quality care at a more reasonable rate I'd be all over that!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm waiting until 4. All the programs that start at 3 here cost $$$ that we just don't have. 
  • DD's current provider only takes children 6 weeks to 3 years, so she will start preschool in the fall (she turns 3 in June).  If I could, I'd keep her at her current program (a family child care provider) until kindergarten.

If I were a SAHM I might consider a 2 or 3 day/week program at age 3, depending on how much social interaction LO was getting.  I also don't think there's anything wrong with starting at age 4, if you think that's the right thing for your LO.

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

• We will be starting a tuition-based Montessori program in the spring. Our 3K and 4K require your child to be of age prior to or on Sept. 1, and since she won't be until a few days after that, we can't enroll in the school system's preschool until she's almost 4. We will do the Montessori for a year and a half (2 days per week, just to get her used to school) and then enroll her in the 3K and 4K through the school system.
  • My son started at 18 months in a 1 day a week 2.5 hour program.  I enrolled him because we had just moved across the country away from everyone and it gave me an opportunity to get some things done alone.  It was much cheaper than getting a babysitter.  He started 2 days a week in September and will go 3 days a week when he turns 3.  It's only 3 hours each day and he absolutely loves it.

• imagelogoz80:
    I'm waiting until 4. All the programs that start at 3 here cost $$$ that we just don't have. 

this is what we have decided too.  I understand that a lot of it is to get adjusted to being around other kids, but 2 years of preschool seems like a lot and not worth the money.  We do a lot of other things, library, dance, zoo, museum, and a couple classes through our local rec, so I think we are good with having some fun outings and being around other kids. 

My SIL sent her daughter at 4 to a Montessori school and she loves it and is doing well.  She's comfortable there and SIL doesn't think that she missed out on anything by not going at 3.

January siggy challenge: winter weather fails

• I think we'll probably put her in the Montessori preschool when she is 3 (just 3 months shy of 4).
  • imagelogoz80:
    I'm waiting until 4. All the programs that start at 3 here cost $$$ that we just don't have. 

This is what I'm thinking too. I'd rather use that money to start DS in an extracurricular activity. I think starting pre-school and doing something extra is too much money and too much time for him. 

• Our daycare has a preschool and they move the children out of the 2s room, as space and maturity level provide, to the preschool starting at 2.5.

(I'm sort of hoping they have space and think she's mature enough pretty close to 2.5 because it's $200+ a month cheaper than the 2s room.)

We'll move her to a pre-k program when she's just shy of 4.

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• He started montessori in Sept. However, if I had the luxury of being a SAHM I would have started him this fall, when he is 3- and only then, for half days :) 

• We did two years of preschool, so they will all start when they are three.  We only did part time, and I don't think ti's necessary, we just did it for socialization and getting into a "school" routine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • We plan on starting DDs in Montessori at 4, going on 5. They'll go 5 days a week for 3 hours a day.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• My DD will be 3 on July 30th and she will start preschool on August 14th at the public school I work at. It will be great to see her during the day. It is from 8-2 daily. The best part it's free.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"