Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

transition to milk?

Hi ladies.

Its been forever since Ive been on here but I have a concern. B is transitioning from formula to milk. Whats the best way to go about this? Do you mix or cold turkey?

Thanks.

** Highschool Sweethearts ** 
Married: February 14, 2009

MC: June 6 2010 @ 18 weeks
DS: December 19, 2011
MC: October 2, 2015 @ 14 weeks

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: transition to milk?

• Options
    We tried wcm straight up in the sippy and it was a failure. He will drink it watered down with a little formula in a bottle no problem. Same combo in a sippy and he lets it run out of his mouth. If cold Turkey works thats what i would do.
  • Options
    imageKimbus22:
    We mixed it with his formula over about a month. First week he got 3/4 formula 1/4 milk.nbsp; 2nd week he got 1/2 and 1/2 etc.nbsp; Seemed to work fine.nbsp; It gave him a little bit of time for his tummy to adjust I think.nbsp; It definitely effected his poop and such for a while so I think that would have been worse had we not done a gradual transition.

I did this but over 4 days. She had a little cold in there but day 6 was smooth sailing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Single mama - beautiful baby - learning to live
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So far he gets it in sippys at meals and does fine with it, he still gets 3 bottles (eliminated one) and will start eliminating the next until bottles are gone. We decided not to mix, and keep milk only in sippys and formula only in bottles. My SIL had issues when mixing and or putting milk into a bottle, her DS would refuse to drink it in sippy when they tried to get rid of the bottle.
  • Options

We went cold turkey.  I never mixed them.  I just started dropping bottles for her (while watching for signs of which ones I could drop).  Her last week on bottles, she was only getting 1 per day after lunch.  As I dropped bottles, I offered more milk (she naturally started wanting/drinking more). 

I always give it cold and in a sippy - I wanted to drop bottles along with the formula so I never put milk in bottles.

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    We transitioned over the course of a week or so.  We just switched 1-2 oz of formula for milk every couple days and then once we got to 6 oz milk and 2 oz formula we just stopped the formula and now give 2 6oz bottles of wcm a day.  Our Pedi told us no more then 16 oz of milk a day because it can cause then to not have as much an appetite for regular food.  
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagechicsahm:
    So far he gets it in sippys at meals and does fine with it, he still gets 3 bottles eliminated one and will start eliminating the next until bottles are gone. We decided not to mix, and keep milk only in sippys and formula only in bottles. My SIL had issues when mixing and or putting milk into a bottle, her DS would refuse to drink it in sippy when they tried to get rid of the bottle.

I agree with not mixing. I've never put anything but formula in a bottle. To me if you put something new in there and they like it, it makes transition away from bottles more difficult.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We did the mix for not even a week with DD which worked great...  As for DS, not so much, he's got either lactose intolerance or an allergy (breaks out into a BEYOND nasty diaper rash) so we've got to go in for allergy testing...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    we did the mix for a week. Each day I added more milk and less formula. DD was on alimentum which is super thin so I think that might have helped a bit. By the end of the week she was full on milk with no problem.
  • Options
    I replaced one ounce of formula with 1 ounce of milk every couple days. Went smoothly for us. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • Options

imagemamastich:
    imageKimbus22:
    We mixed it with his formula over about a month. First week he got 3/4 formula 1/4 milk.nbsp; 2nd week he got 1/2 and 1/2 etc.nbsp; Seemed to work fine.nbsp; It gave him a little bit of time for his tummy to adjust I think.nbsp; It definitely effected his poop and such for a while so I think that would have been worse had we not done a gradual transition.
    I did this but over 4 days. She had a little cold in there but day 6 was smooth sailing.

This for us too, but it took about 2 weeks. Tried cold turkey, but he'd take one sip, make a horrible face, and push it away. I think he really had to adjust to the taste. We did it in bottles and had absolutely no problem switching to sippy cups. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageKimbus22:

We mixed it with his formula over about a month. First week he got 3/4 formula 1/4 milk.  2nd week he got 1/2 and 1/2 etc.  Seemed to work fine.  It gave him a little bit of time for his tummy to adjust I think.  It definitely effected his poop and such for a while so I think that would have been worse had we not done a gradual transition.

The first time I tried we went cold turkey, but it did not go well. Her tummy was all kinds of out of wack. We ended going back on formula and slowly increasing the amount of milk that was mixed in. After about of month of doing this she was fully on whole milk.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    At 11 months I started to mix 50/50 and it only took a couple of days and he was drinking whole milk! I know the pedi recommended formula till one year but I figured I'd ease him into that. Didn't realize it would be so easy! Saves money too ;) Good luck!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Thanks the issue I have right now is I just bought 2 big cans of prosobee and am almost needing to go into at least 1 of them very soon. I probably will wait til those are done and transition with the formula I have left.

** Highschool Sweethearts ** 
    Married: February 14, 2009

MC: June 6 2010 @ 18 weeks
    DS: December 19, 2011
    MC: October 2, 2015 @ 14 weeks

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"