3rd Trimester

coffee question

My husband and I are not coffee drinkers, but once the baby is born we are going to be having a lot of out of town guests stay with us (We live far from our families). We bought a coffee maker yesterday but realized we have no idea what kind of coffee we should buy... What is a good standard coffee to buy for people? I am clueless when it comes to coffee. 

Re: coffee question

• I think everyone always like Seattle's Best/ Starbucks/ Millstone... probably something in the middle of the boldness spectrum (nothing crazy strong) and then make sure you have some half and half and sugar on hand :)
  • Ha, I didnt even think of creamer and sugar. Wow. I am totally clueless! Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Everyone I know drinks dark roast. If you know someone uses cream get it, although most people I know use regular milk of anything at all. Also, since you'll be recovering I wouldn't worry too much about having everything for everyone :
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like Maxwell house 100% colombian. It's all I ever drink and what I drank as my first coffee.

• Maxwell house is a safe buy.  Not overly strong or weak.  And having milk and sugar is all you need. you can get a small carton of half and half if you want but your guests should understand if you only have milk.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Print a map showing all the nearest coffeehouses and post it near your front door.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Dunkin Doughnuts sells their ground coffee in a lot of grocery stores.  That is what DH and I get and it makes a good cup of coffee imho Smile  I would much prefer it over the Maxwell, Folgers, or Millhouse brands. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Since I became pregnant, we don't drink much coffee either.  We keep Folgers House Blend or Breakfast Blend on hand for guests.  We also keep the little packets of sugar, sugar substitute (Splenda or Equal depending on what's on sale) and non dairy creamer available - just in case anyone wants to doctor their coffee.  We find that 1/8 cup of grounds + 1 round tablespoon makes a nice balanced 12-cup pot. 

I am sure that whatever brand/blend you choose, your families will be thinking more about visiting with you and LO than they are about the coffee - while still being thankful for your hospitality in providing it.

Our Little Miracle - Raymond Clifford Jr Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you have a Trader Joe's, then I highly suggest going with anything from them. A medium roast is something everyone will like. If not, go somewhere like Whole Foods. They have amazing coffee as well. 
    BabyFetus Ticker image Anniversary FuzziBunz at Nurtured Family
  • Depends where you are, but Starbucks is good quality and medium blend is a safe bet. DH comes from an Italian family, so bold coffee is a must! Just make sure the package doesn't say Decaf, and that it's already ground vs. whole bean.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'd go with a cheap name brand like Maxwell or Folgers. Coffee people will drink pretty much anything and I wouldn't splurge on something expensive like Starbucks. My personal favorite is Dunkin' Donuts! Yum! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageahcantrell90:
    If you have a Trader Joe's, then I highly suggest going with anything from them. A medium roast is something everyone will like. If not, go somewhere like Whole Foods. They have amazing coffee as well. 

I agree with this. If you don't have a Trader Joe's, then Seattle's Best #3 is a good brew that appeals to most drinkers.

I would not suggest Folger's or Maxwell House.  

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• I don't know where you're located but we usually get Caribou Coffee for our guests when they come. I usually just stick with mid range coffee (price wise). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I actually don't care for Maxwell House at all.

If you have a TON of coffee drinkers and need a huge amount (like a big can), Folgers is ok. If you have a costco, their columbian can (I think it's brown) Kirkland brand is pretty good.

I prefer Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, or Seattle's Best in a French Roast or Breakfast Blend.

I agree with PPs about having milk and sugar on hand. I would also do half and half or get a small basic creamer flavor, like vanilla. Creamer lasts a long time.

• imageohlordy:
    Print a map showing all the nearest coffeehouses and post it near your front door.

I love this answer! But I'd make sure they bring me back something. :-)   A lot of people in my family love Dunkin Donuts.  

• imageohlordy:
    Print a map showing all the nearest coffeehouses and post it near your front door.

I love this answer! But I'd make sure they bring me back something. :-)   A lot of people in my family love Dunkin Donuts.  

• I'm a super picky coffee person, so I would probably bring my own coffee to be honest. We drink Caribou at home, and I also like some Starbucks. Their breakfast blend is my favorite Starbucks option. Dunkin Doughnuts is okay. I don't like Folgers/Maxwell House/8O'Clock at all.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"