Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Busted lip

My 20 month old nephew fell off his bike this morning and his teeth went into his lip causing a large cut and partially coming through on the other side. He did not crack a tooth but the injury has turned white on top and bright bright and dark red all around his whole lip and it has swollen to almost twice its normal size. Its causing him a lot of pain but he does not talk so we dont know quite how much he really is in. I'm worried about infection and dehydration as he really cant eat or drink very well. He can but because of the swelling it makes it a little difficult. Any body have any ideas on how to help him. We do not have any popsicles, we have given him ibuprofen and a teensy bit of numbing meds to keep the pain at bay long enough for the meds to kick in. No idea what else to do. Help please. And please no criticism cause accidents happen he wasn't unattended he just lost his balance and fell off the bike. Thanks

Re: Busted lip

• will he suck on some ice.  Cold washcloth.  icecream.  If it gets too swollen you are going to have to call the dr. or bring him to the ER.

If he is still bleeding he may need a few stitches also. 

Watch his wet diapers to watch for dehydration.  Most likely by tomorrow he will be slightly better, but if you are that concerned it might be time to call the dr. 

I wouldn't use numbing meds on it because it can cause him to choke.   

No criticism.  Accidents happen all of the time!  Im sorry that happened that is very scary!

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • imagerosesandpeonies:

will he suck on some ice.  Cold washcloth.  icecream.  If it gets too swollen you are going to have to call the dr. or bring him to the ER.

Watch his wet diapers to watch for dehydration.  Most likely by tomorrow he will be slightly better, but if you are that concerned it might be time to call the dr. 

No criticism.  Accidents happen all of the time!  Im sorry that happened that is very scary!

Thank you. I will try to get him to suck on something cold. A wash cloth may not work because he wants to play with it more than stick it in his mouth. Thanks for the advice. If you think of anything else feel free to post again. I love being able to get replies when I need advice for my nephew and daughter. The reason I said no criticism is in one of my other posts that's all I got were people cursing at me about what I posted.

• Loading the player...
  • imageblueeyedmommy93:
    imagerosesandpeonies:

will he suck on some ice.  Cold washcloth.  icecream.  If it gets too swollen you are going to have to call the dr. or bring him to the ER.

Thank you. I will try to get him to suck on something cold. A wash cloth may not work because he wants to play with it more than stick it in his mouth. Thanks for the advice. If you think of anything else feel free to post again. I love being able to get replies when I need advice for my nephew and daughter. The reason I said no criticism is in one of my other posts that's all I got were people cursing at me about what I posted.

No problem :)  I have been there quite a few times.  It is very scary.  My little brother broke his leg on me falling off his bike labor day weekend when he was 5.  It was so scary!  Accidents happen.  Just give him the meds for pain and work on getting him to suck or eat something cold.  Call Dr. if your worried :)
  • No judgement here, I did the same thing as a 20 year old haha.

Try to get him to suck on a frozen washcloth or refrigerated teething ring.  Does he use a straw?  If not now is the time to work on it!  If he has the hang of it you can give him soup in the cup.  You might try tearing his food into little bitty pieces for him so he's not biting into big chunks.  

If it's still bleeding by now he needs stitches.  Don't panic!  Any injury to the head looks and bleeds worse than other injuries because there are so many more veins and blood vessels running through there than any other part of the body.  But the bleeding should be done a few hours after the accident.

Anniversary

• Can you make a smoothie? Can he drink through a straw at all? Maybe out of the corner of his mouth?
    Maybe call the doctor just to.see what they recommend. Good luck!
  • imagemeg_2006:

No judgement here, I did the same thing as a 20 year old haha.

Try to get him to suck on a frozen washcloth or refrigerated teething ring.  Does he use a straw?  If not now is the time to work on it!  If he has the hang of it you can give him soup in the cup.  You might try tearing his food into little bitty pieces for him so he's not biting into big chunks.  

If it's still bleeding by now he needs stitches.  Don't panic!  Any injury to the head looks and bleeds worse than other injuries because there are so many more veins and blood vessels running through there than any other part of the body.  But the bleeding should be done a few hours after the accident.

No more bleeding, he has the gist of the straw so I'll throw the option out there. I'll do my best to get him to suck on something cold. Thank you for not judging

• We do not have a blender but I'm going to attempt to make ice cubes out of koolaid so they taste better so he will suck on them. Thanks

• imageblueeyedmommy93:

We do not have a blender but I'm going to attempt to make ice cubes out of koolaid so they taste better so he will suck on them. Thanks

typically you aren't supposed to use straws with a mouth injury but use at your discretion :)

Hope he feels better soon!  You could also use a med dropper or spoon to get some liquids into him also. 

• I haven't had to deal with anything like this yet, but I would agree with pp and if it does not get better to call the dr.  If I was in your shoes I would call the dr just for peace of mind that I was doing what I should be, but I call the dr for every little thing.  I hope he feels better, sorry I don't really have much advice for you.  
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"