Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Nighttime Sleep

My 1st DS didn't STTN until he was over a year old, and until that point would wake to eat a couple times a night. When he was very little, as DS2 is now, he would be up at least every two hours.

Now DS2 is (of course) a whole different kid and will give me 3, 4, or sometimes 5-hour stretches of sleep at night between feeds. I should be completely happy about this, but sometimes it makes me nervous because I want to make sure he's getting enough to eat. So the question is: what are the typical nighttime stretches for you all? Anyone have a LO who's close to STTN? Mind you I'm not doing anything to encourage the longer stretches, it's just how he is. I'd be surprised if he STTN this early.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nighttime Sleep

• Our LO #1 gave us 4-5 hour stretches within 2 weeks of birth.  LO #2 and #3, not so much.  LO #3 is up at night every 1.5-2 hours.  I think every kid will be different and like PP says, they don't let themselves starve.  If I were you I'd be thankful for the sleep...I know I miss it dearly and was so hoping for another like LO #1 :)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My LO is the same age as yours, and I get similar stretches. There still isn't much of a schedule to it, but at night I do get stretches of 3,4 or 5 hours on any given night. More 4 hours stretches right now then anything else.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • The baby will wake when hungry. Don't worry about the time. DD slept 7, then 8, and even 9 hours a couple nights ago, then back to 5 last night. I have no concerns. She's thriving. Just enjoy sleep when you can get it.

• Mine has been having stretches of sleep around 5 hours a night here in the last week. She eats plenty during the day, though, so I am not worried. I agree with PPs that they will wake and let you know if they are hungry. I am just glad that I am getting some sleep.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • They'll let you know, I was afraid to let my little guy sleep through the night because he had been waking at least 1 to 2 times to eat. But sometimes he'll give us 7 to 9 hours and wake up super happy and ready for breakfast. Other times he'll do 4 to 4.5 hour chunks of sleep with a feeding in between. Just depends on what they need that night!
    -KB
  • Thanks, all. I BF, so getting to sleep for that long of a stretch seems unreal to me, but I will just enjoy it and be thankful! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"