Baby Names

Jr.

Is it terrible that I don't want to name our possible future son a "junior?"  I will because husband wants it so bad, but I wish we could have an original name.  His bro is a junior and resents it...

Re: Jr.

• our "compromise" is that i get to choose if it's a girl
  • imageIdani:
    IMO you both have to agree. If you don't want to he needs to compromise just like if you like a name he doesn't. FWIW I dislike juniors.

this!

• Loading the player...
  • Nope. It's not terrible that you don't want to. It isn't everyone's style (although I like it)

Also I don't think you should make your child be a junior if you don't like it. Naming a child is a big deal, and I wouldn't want to dislike my own child's name. Perhaps you could use your husband's name as the middle name spot instead.

PersonalMilestone
  • imagemicrochik:
    our "compromise" is that i get to choose if it's a girl

Meh. I still feel like both parents should get a say.

PersonalMilestone
  • The saving factor is that my husband's name is Edward and we would call the baby Teddy or Ted which is different.  I can get on board with Ted for an adult and Teddy for a little kid...
  • imagemicrochik:
    The saving factor is that my husband's name is Edward and we would call the baby Teddy or Ted which is different.  I can get on board with Ted for an adult and Teddy for a little kid...
    Sounds like you've already made up your mind to go along with it.

IMO both parents should love their child's name. You naming a daughter and your DH getting to name the son doesn't seem like a compromise. Either way, someone is going to be disappointed. It shouldn't be that way when naming your child.

If you like Ted/Teddy then just name him that. Or name him something you both like and use Edward as a mn. Jr's are annoying to me. Everyone deserves their own name and the mn spot is a great way to still honor someone.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • How about having the same initials as your H?

After getting a job where I have to search court documents and public records, I would NEVER make my kid a Jr.  It's seriously annoying to have to try to verify who is which generation, who's divorced from which woman, who owes child support, who has a federal tax lien, who hasn't paid their property taxes, etc.  I've heard more horror stories about bank loans and Juniors lately. 

• Sorry, I think it's arrogant for your DH to demand a son be named for him.  And it's a total cop out for you to be given naming rights on a girl.   LAME LAME LAME.

Naming ANY child, no matter the sex, is the responsibility of BOTH parents... equal say and compromise.

Sorry for the rant.. this attitude always touches a nerve with me.... Give the kid his OWN name.

• If your DH resents his brother being a Jr. wouldn't he be worried that should you have a second DS that that child may also resent that he isn't a Jr.?

• It makes things complicated when your LO gets older.  
  • no his brother resents his own name...
  • imageBrideBuddies:

Sorry, I think it's arrogant for your DH to demand a son be named for him.  And it's a total cop out for you to be given naming rights on a girl.   LAME LAME LAME.

Naming ANY child, no matter the sex, is the responsibility of BOTH parents... equal say and compromise.

Sorry for the rant.. this attitude always touches a nerve with me.... Give the kid his OWN name.

I can't change his mind...  and also unfairly, he seems to have veto power on the girl name.  He's really set on this.   

• My DH is a Jr. and his father, the original, has made life very hard for us. He has horrible credit and we had to get a lawyer in order to disentangle ourselves from being sued over a timeshare property he defaulted on. It has been a hassle and ongoing problem. I have a hard time seeing an upside to being a Jr.

I would pick out a truly terrible awful girl name and tell him, "this is the name I've chosen" maybe then, he'll see the upside of compromise  

• imagelisa5201:

My DH is a Jr. and his father, the original, has made life very hard for us. He has horrible credit and we had to get a lawyer in order to disentangle ourselves from being sued over a timeshare property he defaulted on. It has been a hassle and ongoing problem. I have a hard time seeing an upside to being a Jr.

I would pick out a truly terrible awful girl name and tell him, "this is the name I've chosen" maybe then, he'll see the upside of compromise  

Good idea... I keep telling him all the downsides...  he's not playing. 

• My husband has the same name as his father, but he's not a junior... he has a "II" at the end, instead of a jr. Complicated story, but he was raised by his grandparents, not his birth parents, but he never went by "jr."

• I really, really dislike giving children FNs after someone. I LOVE giving MNs after someone - IMO, that is where you honor someone. Each child really should have his or her own FN. The whole Jr. thing seems egotistical to me. 

Sorry, that's my opinion.

That said, you two BOTH need to agree, so if you don't like it, then it is off the table and H needs to get over it.  

• imagemicrochik:
    imageBrideBuddies:

Sorry, I think it's arrogant for your DH to demand a son be named for him.  And it's a total cop out for you to be given naming rights on a girl.   LAME LAME LAME.

I can't change his mind...  and also unfairly, he seems to have veto power on the girl name.  He's really set on this.   

Boy, he sounds like a peach.  Sorry, hon.   Has he told you WHY he's so flippin' dead set on this? 

• imageBrideBuddies:
    imagemicrochik:
    imageBrideBuddies:

Boy, he sounds like a peach.  Sorry, hon.   Has he told you WHY he's so flippin' dead set on this? 

It's something he's always wanted and he did tell me this before we ever got married. I just love the name Jacob... and Charlotte for a girl.
  • I don't have a problem with Jr., or II, as long as both parents are on board. 

The bright side is that Edward is a beautiful name, and it will have meaning for you and your family if you choose to go that route.

• In DH's family the first son is named after the father.  Sometimes jr, sometimes a different middle name.  It is a super PIA.  We have had insurance mix-ups, etc.  I never know to whom people are referring unless middle names are included.  When we go to my FIL's, there are three of the same name (FIL, DH, and SS).  It is SO confusing. 

My bff just did this with their baby.  I tried not to groan.  It is the same tradition in her H's family:  FIL, H, baby.

together since 2006
    full time stepmom to SS1 and SS2 since 2010
    married since 2011

TTC since 7/2011 (no planned bc since 2008)
    HSG 11/2011: one blocked tube
    S/A 2/2012 and retest S/A 3/2012: normal
    Bloodwork: normal
    2nd HSG 5/2012: clear
    Femara cycle 5mg #1 7/14/12 + IUI #1 7/23/12 = bfn
    New RE appt 8/14/12
    IVF #1 meds 8/30/12. ER 9/14/2012: 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized. ET 9/19/12: 1 perfect embryo 5dt.
    Beta #1 BFP! 97
    Beta #2 234
    Beta #3 4937
    ultrasound #1 heart beat 127
    10/20/12 graduated!!!
    EDD 6/7/12
    Team PINK!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think there are a couple states (or maybe it's this way everywhere) where ONLY the mother signs the docs for baby's name.  Dad doesn't get a say on any official doc anywhere.

Maybe you could move.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"