February 2013 Moms

What is everyone paying for childcare?

For people that are returning back to work and need full time childcare after their leave, I wanted to see what the average was for the area you live in to see if daycare is high across the board.

Price per month/week/day?

Where do you live?

I'll go first....we have checked in to both institution type of daycare and in home daycares. The institution type is running $325 a week which is $1,300 a month. I have called about 10 of them and they are all running within a few dollars of that price!

Private in home daycare I have come across $42 a day or $840 a month and also $175 a week which is $700 a month. At this point, we are leaning towards private in home daycare.

We live in Aurora, Colorado and I work in Highlands Ranch, CO which I can do daycare in either location (25 miles apart from each other) but both are around the same for market price.

I do not know how people with more than 1 child in daycare can afford to still work!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: What is everyone paying for childcare?

• We pay about $17/hr for an in-home sitter for three kids, but my kids all also nap for three hours of the time she is here.  When she started and I only had one child, I paid her $8/hr.  That's pretty standard for my area of rural Ohio.

• Holy cow!  Your day care costs make me feel much better about ours!

We only looked into institution day cares, because it's very hard to find in homes around me.  Ours is $190/ week, so $760 a month.  And that seems to be the higher end!

I'm in Wisconsin so I'm sure that has something to do with it!

• Loading the player...
  • We are in MN South Metro. All daycare centers wanted 275 to 350 a week. We found in home licensed care between 165 and 200 weekly.

For people that are returning back to work and need full time childcare after their leave, I wanted to see what the average was for the area you live in to see if daycare is high across the board.

Price per month/week/day?

Where do you live?

I'll go first....we have checked in to both institution type of daycare and in home daycares. The institution type is running $325 a week which is $1,300 a month. I have called about 10 of them and they are all running within a few dollars of that price!

Private in home daycare I have come across $42 a day or $840 a month and also $175 a week which is $700 a month. At this point, we are leaning towards private in home daycare.

We live in Aurora, Colorado and I work in Highlands Ranch, CO which I can do daycare in either location (25 miles apart from each other) but both are around the same for market price.

I do not know how people with more than 1 child in daycare can afford to still work!!!

we haven't really looked into it, but your cost for institution type daycares is pretty close to yours. They are in that range. I know one that's 1200 and another 1600, most seem to be in that range somewhere. I don't know about private/in-home ones.  I'm in northern va, just outside DC.  

• imageShayliz:
    We are in MN South Metro. All daycare centers wanted 275 to 350 a week. We found in home licensed care between 165 and 200 weekly.

This!  Ours is one of the highest in the nation...I am not sure why, but some say we have high standards for our centers and in home so they can charge more.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We live in Northern Delaware (about 30 min south of Philadelphia). We are using part time care, but full time care costs $1250/month.

My main concern with private in home care would be what happens if the provider gets sick? Has a family emergency? Closes down for a week for vacation? Just make sure s/he has a back up so you don't have to miss work. 

Married 2/15/09, BFP #1 02/03/12 - EDD 10/13/12, Missed M/C 03/15/12@9w5d (measuring 8w3d) They weren't kidding when they said "Beware the Ides of March" Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP#2 06/13/12 - Emily Samantha born on Feb 9, 2013!
  • I'm in Raleigh-Durham, NC.  For infant care at my 5 star center, we would pay $1450/month.  That's not even the most expensive in the area...!  Since, we'll have 2 in daycare, we decided to go with in home infant care for DS2, which is $900 per month.  Between the two of them, we'll be paying over $1950 a month!!!!!!!!  GAH.  At least I know I can buy a beach house once they are both in kindergarten.    

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• I am in Washington, DC.  The standard for infant care in a large center is $1500-$2400/month.  If you work for the Federal government and can get into a center that offers a discount for your agency, it can drop to $1300/month.  I have no idea what home day cares are because I never considered that route.

A nanny share runs about $1600-$1900/month depending on how many hours you need. 

• I live in south Jersey (about 30 minutes east of Philly) and we're looking at an average of about $1000 give or take.  I thought it would be higher, so we're pretty excited that it wasn't!

• I live in a suburb of Austin, TX (the suburb thing makes a big difference in price) and we will pay $740 per month for the baby at a center. For both, it will be about $1350 per month.
  • We live in CT, just outside NYC and are about to fork over $1500 a month for daycare, yay....!! It hurts because my BIL's baby is in the same school down in South Carolina and they pay half of what we pay!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

• I'm in MA - the suburbs west of Boston. We only looked at in-home care since centers are astronomical. The provider we are going with is $255/week so just over $1000 a month. This is considered a pretty cheap rate for my area so I was psyched to find her!

Her daughter is her backup in case she is sick or there is an emergency, and I'm a teacher so I have all the same days off/vacations which is a nice convenience. Also, she is not charging me for the summer months I don't need her and still allowing me to have my spot the next fall!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• imagedbowitz:

We live in Northern Delaware (about 30 min south of Philadelphia). We are using part time care, but full time care costs $1250/month.

My main concern with private in home care would be what happens if the provider gets sick? Has a family emergency? Closes down for a week for vacation? Just make sure s/he has a back up so you don't have to miss work. 

When DD was in daycare (she is with my mom now), we paid $225/week. That drops after the child turns 2 (but I don't know what the rate is after the child turns 2). That number is fairly standard here in Baltimore, MD.

As for the DCP getting sick, etc...our DCP was sick once. She had a sinus infection (which is not contagious) and gave parents the option of sending the child to daycare. We opted not to because DH or I could take the day off. She said since we voluntarily did that, we did not need to pay for a day. She gives her vacation time well in advance (it is one or two weeks in the summer and overlaps with school summer vacation, so parents can plan around that). Our DCP was very, very efficient and made sure parents were well informed about days off, snow policies, etc...We never had a problem working with her (she always gave her year long schedule out at the beginning of the year).

imageimageimage
  • imageizzyjenni:

imageShayliz:
    We are in MN South Metro. All daycare centers wanted 275 to 350 a week. We found in home licensed care between 165 and 200 weekly.

This!  Ours is one of the highest in the nation...I am not sure why, but some say we have high standards for our centers and in home so they can charge more.

I just about fainted when Primrose School/day care gave me their quote.  It would cost more than my mortgage to send my child there! 

• Wow I can't believe some of those prices!! I live in northern Indiana and I'm trying to get into a daycare that's out of a church and they charge $125 a week for infants. And that's one of the more expensive ones!

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageShayliz:
    imageizzyjenni:

imageShayliz:

I just about fainted when Primrose School/day care gave me their quote.  It would cost more than my mortgage to send my child there! 

Primerose was one of the ones we checked out too because it is directly across the street from my work. They were $325 a week!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• We live in the Seattle area. Infant care in a center close to work is about $2000 per month. We haven't looked into in-home care, because we just don't feel as comfortable with it. A local nanny share runs from $1900-$2500. It's crazy!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • When I was in NYC, the Bright Horizons in my building was about 2800 for an infant. Insane. Most people I knew went with nannies...my husband lost his job just before I delivered, so he stayed with DD.

Now in the Boston area (about 10 miles outside of the city, it was around $2000 per month for an infant - less for a toddler). This is with a local daycare, but not a home daycare. Higher end.

Switched to a nanny and pay her $20 per hour for 2 kids. Haven't had the discussion about #3 and what that will be. I know $20 is considered on the higher side for a nanny but not on the crazy side.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I live in Southern Idaho and we are paying $2.50 per hour but with my schedule and my husband's schedule we probably will pay a max. of $400 per month.
  • I live north of Detroit in a kind of rural area.  The rate is $145 a week for my 5 year old (though we pay slightly less because we have a discount through my husband's employer).  If we were to send the LO there, the rate would be $178 per week, which includes diapers.  We aren't sending LO there though, at least not right away.  LO will go to an in home provider that is right across the street.  She charges $140 a week for 8 hours a day and slightly more for beyond that.  We'll probably end up paying about $160 a week.  Eventually we'll move LO to the center that DS #2 is at right now, but the in home provider doesn't have many kids and LO will be her only infant, so I know he'll get the attention I'd like him to have, plus I know the provider and I feel very comfortable with her.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Suburb of Indianapolis, IN    I pay $60 a day for my son to go 1 day a week.  When we add in LO I will be paying $120 for 1 day a week for both boys to go.  It will drop down a little when DS1 turns, I think it's 4 yrs old.  I was paying $38 for 1 day a week at a church daycare but they didn't provide meals or education where the center he's in now provides meals, snacks, learning, play, social skills etc. So the extra $22 a week is worth it to me and the center is monitored by the state where the church daycare is not monitored.  When DS1 starts pre-school there he'll have to go more days a week and I dread the price increase.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm in the DC area and the daycare we found will cost us a whopping $1,650 a month. 
  • I actually didn't figure it all out until I saw this post but for us (we live in Pittsburgh, PA) it will cost almost $1600/month to send an infant and toddler to DC center 3 days per week. MIL will watch them for free 6 days per month and DH is off ever other Friday so he'll watch them on those days.  I never looked into in-home daycares. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • We live in NYC and are going with an in-home private daycare. It's $1040/month for an infant up to one year then decreases by $5/day for toddler rates. They have great hours and are by referral only so we're very happy with the choice. The institution we looked into was $1200/month. My girlfriend pays $2000/month for in home care.
  • imagealcammor:

When I was in NYC, the Bright Horizons in my building was about 2800 for an infant. Insane. Most people I knew went with nannies...my husband lost his job just before I delivered, so he stayed with DD.

Now in the Boston area (about 10 miles outside of the city, it was around $2000 per month for an infant - less for a toddler). This is with a local daycare, but not a home daycare. Higher end.

Switched to a nanny and pay her $20 per hour for 2 kids. Haven't had the discussion about #3 and what that will be. I know $20 is considered on the higher side for a nanny but not on the crazy side.  

I live in NYC and I almost had a heart attack when I got Bright Horizons quote.

• The daycare that we are on the waiting list for is almost $2200 a month. I wanted to do a nanny share, but I never really knew where to look. I live in NYC.
  • I live just outside of Toronto, so I was hoping to get a bit of a break but no such luck.  Day care spots in the city are very hard to get, so when you see that second pink line on your pregnancy test you better pick up the phone and get your name on the waiting list (same thing goes for a midwife if you want one).

We signed up back in July and paid $50 to reserve a spot for Feb 2014 (they were already booked up until fall of 2013). It will be between $1200 to $1300 a month.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We found a place that *may have an opening for in home daycare that costs $150 a week!  I'm hoping that a spot opens up. The institute daycares (Tutor Time, Applewood) cost around $240/week, and those are a little more affordable than some of the other ones in the area. I live in Grand Rapids, MI, which isn't huge, but is a bigger city in Michigan. 
  • imageAthenaKTD:
    We live in the Seattle area. Infant care in a center close to work is about $2000 per month. We haven't looked into in-home care, because we just don't feel as comfortable with it. A local nanny share runs from $1900-$2500. It's crazy!

We're in a suburb of Seattle and the centers out here run $1200-1400.  Definitely $1500-2000 in the city (I work just east of downtown and the one across the street is $1795/mo).   We're going with an in home recommended by a good friend that's about 1.5 mi from home for $800/mo.  Centers and nannies are just way beyond our budget.  I really liked the in home we found and my friend has had her 4yo and 2yo there since her 2yo was 4mo.  We both feel pretty good about our choice.  

• imageexpatmama:

Wow, I know my friends pay a lot for daycare, but I thought it was always because they picked  5 start top schools.

Just for comparison -- I live in Sweden where all daycare is highly subsidized by the state. We are in the top earners income bracket so we pay the highest fee, which is 150 dollars per month for our first. When 2 are in daycare, it should drop to 125 per month per kid.

That said there are many stipulations, which mean that we would have to pick up any additional costs for care, but we have made it work so far. That covers up to 40 hours of care during working hours and any commuting time -- you cannot have additional hours. When I am on maternity leave we will be on restricted hours and still pay the same amount (I think it is about 25 hours a week while one parent is at home and not working). It also includes any meals - lunch and if needed breakfast - as well as a few snacks during the day.

Yes, I think we are very lucky. Taxes are high -- but as a young family we certainly get a lot of bang for our buck. 

I'm right there with you here in Germany. These prices are making my jaw drop! Our nanny gets 8.50/hr for DD and will get 11/hr when LO joins DD, but that is subsidized and we pay about 4-5 / hr right now and that will drop to about 3 / hr when LO is also being watched. She watches DD 12 hours / week. I cannot even imagine paying over 1000 / month for childcare!! 

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"