1st Trimester

Flu shot

Hello! So I am very indecisive right now. I'm 8 weeks pregnant, work in healthcare and terrified to get this dreaded flu going around. But also don't know about the effects of the flu shot on me and baby. Have any of you gotten the shot? How did everything turn out?

Re: Flu shot

• I got it at 7 1/2 weeks and have had no issues from it. I was a little leery about it too just because I had never gotten one before, but after researching the risks/benefits I decided it was much more beneficial to both me and baby to get it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • The flu can be deadly.  In Massachusetts alone we have over 6000 cases, compared to last year's less than 200.  It's not something you want to mess with.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Thank you very much. I read them and although from 2009 they still leave me second guessing it. Thanks.
  • The Flu is very bad this year.  If you work in healthcare I would say yes get it.  Although I have heard (2 nurses and 1 Dr.) there is thought to be a strain going around not in the vaccine.  You will get a much milder case of the flu if you do get the vaccine.

BabyFruit Ticker

IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/qpqv84.jpg[/IMG]

Patiently waiting for little brother!

• If you work in healthcare, I think it would be terribly irresponsible NOT to get it. This flu strain going around is killing people.
  • I was nervous about getting it, I've never had one in the past even though I work in an elementary school.  My aunt is a nurse and was putting the pressure on me to get one, knowing I'm PG.  I called and talked to my Dr and they highly recommended I get one, so I did end up getting it. 

BFP #1 4/10/12 D&C 6/5/12@ 12.5wks EDD 12/17/12
    BFP #2 9/10/12 CP 9/19/12@ 5.5wks EDD 5/21/13
    BFP# 3 12/3/12...Lukas James born 8/15/13
    BFP# 4 8/4/14 EDD 4/13/15

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I got it last Thursday. I am in outside sales.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My advice is to get it. Having the flu is miserable while pregnant and the high fever that comes with it can harm your fetus. 

I get it at my OB's office.

Now I'm going to sit back and wait for the shiitstorm to begin that is vax vs. antivax.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• If you work in healthcare I am really surprised that you didn't already have it.  I got mine back in September and had no reaction.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I got it in '09 when I was pregnant with DD. 

This year I was just lazy at getting around to it and ended up with the flu last week. It was horrible. I honestly can't remember the last time I was that sick. I'm sure it was exaggerated because I could take anything useful, but I barely made it off the couch for an entire week. That's what I get for procrastinating.

My father and DH's grandmother both also tested positive for it, but because they had gotten their shots they were over it in a couple of days.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got it around the same time when pregnant with DD (so this was fall of 2011).  This time I got it just before IVF #2. 

There are plenty of arguments for and against (DH, for example refuses to get one, much to my dismay), but I trust my MD and followed her advice.  And so far *knock on wood*, I have not gotten sick either time.  I'm not sure if it's due to the vaccine or to the fact that both times I didn't get out to much, so had reduced exposure, but I'll take all the help I can get in staying healthy and keeping my family healthy.

10/10: Married; 5/11: Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tube; 7/11: D&C/Hysteroscopy to remove polyp
    IVF #1: 9/11: ER: 12R, 11M, 10F, No Frosties; 5dt: 2 blasts, 1 morula; DD born 6/3/12
    IVF #2: 11/12-12/12: ER: 20R, 20M, 16F, 4 Frosties; 5dt: 3 blasts, DS born 8/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is my third baby/pregnancy and I have never had the flu shot nor have my boys who are 6 8 years old and we've always been very healthy. There is so much crap in those immunizations.
    Now I'm not antivaccines or anything crazy but I don't think it's worth the risk personally. Good luck
  • imageWhimsygirl24:
    This is my third baby/pregnancy and I have never had the flu shot nor have my boys who are 6 8 years old and we've always been very healthy. There is so much crap in those immunizations. Now I'm not antivaccines or anything crazy but I don't think it's worth the risk personally. Good luck

You do know that's sheer luck, right?  It has nothing to do with how healthy you've been in the past.  

Currently Reading: Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes
  • imageWhimsygirl24:
    This is my third baby/pregnancy and I have never had the flu shot nor have my boys who are 6 8 years old and we've always been very healthy. There is so much crap in those immunizations.
    Now I'm not antivaccines or anything crazy but I don't think it's worth the risk personally. Good luck

My DD got the flu shot and will every year. Just because your kids are healthy doesn't mean they can't get the flu or some other disease they're not vaccinated against. I'm not going to put my child's health and possibly life on the line because "she's healthy now." Just like pp said its just sheer luck your children haven't gotten sick.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageOrganicmama1227:

You're an idiot. Why don't you actually post peer reviewed research instead of some incorrect information from some random website. You can find anything on the Internet that supports your "cause."
  • Wait until your second trimester.
  • I spoke to my pharmacist about it at length and he showed me some articles that he'd read recently regarding the safety of the vaccine during pregnancy. I trust his opinion and agree with the research. I am not worried in the least about it.

• imageSPNM24:
    Wait until your second trimester.

And why is this?? Your opinion or actual information from an MD?
  • imageSPNM24:
    Wait until your second trimester.

Where did you hear this? Just curious.

I've read that there has been a link made to high fevers in the first trimester and autism. It seems like if there was a time to avoid the flu it'd be in the first tri.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got it at six weeks.  My OB was adamant that I should have it.  I didn't have any adverse effects.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageOrganicmama1227:

I would say no don't get it!! But here is two links so you can make up your own mind.

Yeah, make up your own mind by reading these two completely biased articles against the flu shot.

You're an idiot.

TTC#1 Oct 2010
    DS born May 2013
    TFAS Feb 2016
    EDD 07/29/2017
  • imagemabenner1:
    If you work in healthcare, I think it would be terribly irresponsible NOT to get it. This flu strain going around is killing people.

This! There are people who cannot get the shot that need to be treated by healthcare workers. I feel like you're endangering your patients by not getting the shot.

Personally, I got my flu shot as soon as it became available in September. I got the preservative free formula, and I didn't have any bad reactions.

Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • imageack2002:
    imageOrganicmama1227:

You're an idiot. Why don't you actually post peer reviewed research instead of some incorrect information from some random website. You can find anything on the Internet that supports your "cause."

Thank you. I absolutely can't stand when people post "research" from completely biased sources.
    DS 3/11 * CP 6/12 * BFP 12/10/12, EDD 8/20/13
    Pic3
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • It's not sheer luck and no I'm not putting my kids at risk for not getting the flu shot. That's your "opinion" and most of the drs now days are drug pushers. Did you know the pharmaceutical companies make more money in profits than oil companies?! Id rather put my kids on probiotics than give them that. They have found mercury and other metals in the flu shot. That's also when my mom went into remission from cancer they told her never to get a flu shot right?! Don't blast me for my decisions. I do my homework thank you very much. And I never said my kids were not vaccinated.
  • This thread makes me feel better.  I chose to get the flu shot after also reading about the adverse effects the flu can have on the unborn baby.  Every article that was in favor of the getting the shot were well known government and world health agencies, citing extensive scientific research failing to prove any any connection between the flu shot and adverse effects.  Websites that were against the vaccine often had less research to cite and and was more based on individual theories.  I chose to believe the former (although of course the real truth is somewhere in the middle I'm sure).  My doctor recommended the vaccine adamently, but I am discouraged to see how many mom's are choosing not to get the vaccine, and I admit it made me second guess my choice a little.
  • I got my flu shot at 6 weeks, from the Army no less, lol. I was fine. Now I'm fighting a cold and I've never been so miserable. I can't imagine if it were the flu.

CJ 05/29/2013

• imageWhimsygirl24:
    It's not sheer luck and no I'm not putting my kids at risk for not getting the flu shot. That's your "opinion" and most of the drs now days are drug pushers. Did you know the pharmaceutical companies make more money in profits than oil companies?! Id rather put my kids on probiotics than give them that. They have found mercury and other metals in the flu shot. That's also when my mom went into remission from cancer they told her never to get a flu shot right?! Don't blast me for my decisions. I do my homework thank you very much. And I never said my kids were not vaccinated.

LOL.  They haven't "found" mercury in flu shots, as if it's something being hidden.  It's known.  It's also less than in a can of tuna so I hope you don't eat that.  Also, there are mercury free flu shots and if you were trying at all to make an educated, unbiased decision, you would know that and wouldn't be using mercury as a part of your argument.  

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imageelmoali:

imageWhimsygirl24:
    It's not sheer luck and no I'm not putting my kids at risk for not getting the flu shot. That's your "opinion" and most of the drs now days are drug pushers. Did you know the pharmaceutical companies make more money in profits than oil companies?! Id rather put my kids on probiotics than give them that. They have found mercury and other metals in the flu shot. That's also when my mom went into remission from cancer they told her never to get a flu shot right?! Don't blast me for my decisions. I do my homework thank you very much. And I never said my kids were not vaccinated.

LOL.  They haven't "found" mercury in flu shots, as if it's something being hidden.  It's known.  It's also less than in a can of tuna so I hope you don't eat that.  Also, there are mercury free flu shots and if you were trying at all to make an educated, unbiased decision, you would know that and wouldn't be using mercury as a part of your argument.  

Mmm....tuna.

CJ 05/29/2013

• imageelmoali:

imageWhimsygirl24:

Also, there are two types of mercury: methyl and ethyl.  The first is what is found in seafood and is a known neurotoxin and dangerous in pregnancy.  The second is what's found in vaccines.  They are metabolized differently by the body and it is proven that ethyl mercury is metabolized quickly and only remains in the body for less than a week.  Ethyl mercury is thought to be much safer than methyl, however the FDA uses the same safety standards as far as how much is safe in the vaccine.  So, getting a vaccine with thiomersal =/= ingesting unsafe amounts of mercury in seafood.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"