September 2013 Moms

Let's talk about booze.

I am not an alcoholic. And even though that sounds like something an alcoholic would say, this girl is being serious. I do live in the city and I live a very urban life-- that is true-- but there's not morning drinking or mind erasing benders here. 

That being said, ALL I can think about is beer. I want a beer so bad it is hard to think about much else. How weird is that? Full disclosure, I will likely drink during my pregnancy-- a personal choice-- but I've decided to let the first 12 weeks pass without having anything. But JEEZUS. I literally had a dream about a draft beer last night.

A DREAM I'M TELLING YOU.  

I have a blog that has nothing to do with babies. http://www.halftruthofawholelife.com

Re: Let's talk about booze.

• imagelinabeau:

I am not an alcoholic. And even though that sounds like something an alcoholic would say, this girl is being serious. I do live in the city and I live a very urban life-- that is true-- but there's not morning drinking or mind erasing benders here. 

That being said, ALL I can think about is beer. I want a beer so bad it is hard to think about much else. How weird is that? Full disclosure, I will likely drink during my pregnancy-- a personal choice-- but I've decided to let the first 12 weeks pass without having anything. But JEEZUS. I literally had a dream about a draft beer last night.

A DREAM I'M TELLING YOU.  

im judging you hardcore 

The Mob Boss 
    Birth: 10lbs 11oz, 21.5 inches <> 1 mo: 14lbs 7oz, 23.5 inches
    2mo: 18lbs 15oz, 25.5 inches <> 4mo: 26lbs 8oz, 27.5 inches6mo: 29lbs 8oz, 30 inches <> 9mo: 32lbs, 32 inches12 mo: 37lbs, 34.5 inches <> 15 mo: 38lbs 6 oz, 36 inches. 20.5 inch noggin18 mo: 43lbs, 37.75 inches 21 inch head2yr: 47 lbs, 42 inches. 21.5 inch head. Woah.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • ok, this is MUD.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow... I really hope this is mud.
    IVF, OHSS, PPROM, loss of twins at 23 weeks, and a FET to get my take home baby. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    IVF cycle two=success! Hoping for another take home baby. Missed miscarriage at 9w4d. Here we go again....
    IVF cycle three- transferred two and had NINE to freeze. BFP! Hoping this is our second rainbow baby.
  • imageKaramelSutra:

im judging you hardcore 

I'm constantly judging. So there's that.  

I have a blog that has nothing to do with babies. http://www.halftruthofawholelife.com
  • What's MUD? (sorry, noob here)

• imagejjkaye:

What's MUD? (sorry, noob here)

I just had to look it up. Made Up Drama.

Is the post mud or Karamel being an ***? That's her MO. I'm being totally seriously about my beer craving. :) 

• imagelinabeau:

Full disclosure, I will likely drink during my pregnancy-- a personal choice--   

Seriously? 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagejjkaye:

Made up drama. For some reason people like to come on internet forums and post stupid things, then watch people fight over the post. It will happen a lot in the next 9 months.
    IVF, OHSS, PPROM, loss of twins at 23 weeks, and a FET to get my take home baby. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    IVF cycle two=success! Hoping for another take home baby. Missed miscarriage at 9w4d. Here we go again....
    IVF cycle three- transferred two and had NINE to freeze. BFP! Hoping this is our second rainbow baby.
  • imagelinabeau:
    imagejjkaye:

Is the post mud or Karamel being an ***? That's her MO. I'm being totally seriously about my beer craving. :) 

oh I'm not being a biitch. If you choose to have more than a small glass of wine in your late third tri, I think you are a selfish ignorant person.  Full disclosure and all 

The Mob Boss 
    2mo: 18lbs 15oz, 25.5 inches <> 4mo: 26lbs 8oz, 27.5 inches6mo: 29lbs 8oz, 30 inches <> 9mo: 32lbs, 32 inches12 mo: 37lbs, 34.5 inches <> 15 mo: 38lbs 6 oz, 36 inches. 20.5 inch noggin18 mo: 43lbs, 37.75 inches 21 inch head2yr: 47 lbs, 42 inches. 21.5 inch head. Woah.  

imageimage
  • A glass of wine or a drink here or there won't hurt you or the baby. I may ir may not have a drink or 2 during this pregnancy.
  • You can crave it all you want, but if you're drinking real beer on a regular basis and it sounds like you plan to you are selfish. Pick up an O'douls and suck it up. You're going to be someone's mother and that means making sacrifices for the rest of your life.

That being said, I'm still thinking this is MUD.
  • imageqpmomma:
    A glass of wine or a drink here or there won't hurt you or the baby. I may ir may not have a drink or 2 during this pregnancy.

wrong. They have not been able to prove how much, or how little will harm the baby. Selfish if you can't give up a drink for 9 months 

The Mob Boss 

imageimage
  • imageeajeanthebean:
    imagelinabeau:

Seriously? 

At the risk of starting a Bump message board firestorm, yes. I certainly don't mean that I will drink like a normal person while growing a human being, but I will absolutely drink the occasional glass of wine and/or beer. There's very little evidence that doing so has any affect on pregnancy-- that I take stock in-- and has shown to reduce stress and relax pregnant ladies.

It's interesting, though, living in the city, I don't know many women who don't drink a little during their pregnancies. Which I know is in stark contrast to what you find in more suburban areas.  

• imagelinabeau:
    imageeajeanthebean:
    imagelinabeau:

Seriously? 

At the risk of starting a Bump message board firestorm, yes. I certainly don't mean that I will drink like a normal person while growing a human being, but I will absolutely drink the occasional glass of wine and/or beer. There's very little evidence that doing so has any affect on pregnancy-- that I take stock in-- and has shown to reduce stress and relax pregnant ladies.

It's interesting, though, living in the city, I don't know many women who don't drink a little during their pregnancies. Which I know is in stark contrast to what you find in more suburban areas.  

you're a dumbass. And from here on out I will disregard any and all pregnancy questions from you. Being that you've done your research and all 

The Mob Boss 

imageimage
  • I am not a drinker, but couldn't you drink the non-alcoholic kind to get rid if the cravings?  
  • Let's not talk about the damage drinking does to your baby!
  • imageKaramelSutra:
    imagelinabeau:
    imagejjkaye:

oh I'm not being a biitch. If you choose to have more than a small glass of wine in your late third tri, I think you are a selfish ignorant person.  Full disclosure and all 

Completely and totally respect your opinion.  

• imagelinabeau:
    imageeajeanthebean:
    imagelinabeau:

Full disclosure, I will likely drink during my pregnancy-- a personal choice-- &nbsp;&nbsp;

Seriously?&nbsp;

&nbsp;

It's interesting, though, living in the city, I don't know many women who don't drink a little during their pregnancies. Which I know is in stark contrast to what you find in more suburban areas. &nbsp;

I live in downtown Chicago, I can assure you there is no difference. Women who care about their babies are not drinking whole glasses of wine or beer regularly throughout their pregnancies.
  • imageKaramelSutra:
    imagelinabeau:
    imageeajeanthebean:
    imagelinabeau:

Seriously? 

you're a dumbass. And from here on out I will disregard any and all pregnancy questions from you. Being that you've done your research and all 

Ba ha ha. I think I love you.
  • imageKaramelSutra:

imageqpmomma:
    A glass of wine or a drink here or there won't hurt you or the baby. I may ir may not have a drink or 2 during this pregnancy.

&nbsp;

wrong. They have not been able to prove how much, or how little will harm the baby. Selfish if you can't give up a drink for 9 months&nbsp;

Wrong. I'm not selfish. Great job with the name calling. Also, there was a study in 2010 that showed moms who drank 1 or 2 light drinks a week did not harm thier babies. So maybe you should do some reading before jumping on the bandwagon.
  • Some people drink while pregnant. I took a sip of Baileys while pg with Aidan. I KNOW that didn't cause him to be born early since it was 2months before but I felt immense guilt. I gladly go 9 because of bfing without drinking.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • imagePattern:
    Let's not talk about the damage drinking does to your baby!
    Why would we talk about that??? Then the entire post about how it makes her feel better and relaxed would be void. Didn't you know? It's all about the mother in pregnancy, who gives a sh!t about the fetus?!? Babies love drinking beer. I give my toddler beer all the time. It relaxes him.
  • imageKaramelSutra:
    imagelinabeau:
    imageeajeanthebean:
    imagelinabeau:

Seriously? 

Yea, that is total BS I lived in the city most of my life and the only pregnant person I met that was okay with drinking was an idiot who was trying to force herself to MC....  

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'm really surprised by the response to this post. Or maybe the word is intrigued? I had absolutely no intention of causing such a stir, nor did I expect to have such an overwhelming response from people about my strange beer craving. 

I completely respect the opinions and choices of each woman-- regardless of whether of not I agree, as is the case here.

I can promise you all that I am neither ignorant nor selfish. I'm far more concerned with women eating Hot Pockets and Doritos during pregnancy than I am with myself-- a vegetarian yoga teacher-- having a few glasses of red wine during the course of the next nine months.  

• imageqpmomma:
    imageKaramelSutra:

imageqpmomma:

wrong. They have not been able to prove how much, or how little will harm the baby. Selfish if you can't give up a drink for 9 months 

Wrong. I'm not selfish. Great job with the name calling. Also, there was a study in 2010 that showed moms who drank 1 or 2 light drinks a week did not harm thier babies. So maybe you should do some reading before jumping on the bandwagon.

im not bandwagoning. Drink away. Have fun. Wtf do I care. Idiots 

The Mob Boss 

imageimage
  • Hopefully this is MUD. As a medical provider, this post is very concerning. We don't know for certain how much alcohol can cause fetal alcohol syndrome- Why take the risk?  From the tone of your post, you sound selfish. I love beer and wine, but it's not happening during these 9 months. My future child's health is worth it. Hopefully you will reconsider.
  • imageqpmomma:
    imageKaramelSutra:

imageqpmomma:

&nbsp;

wrong. They have not been able to prove how much, or how little will harm the baby. Selfish if you can't give up a drink for 9 months&nbsp;

Wow, one whole study huh? I'll put that next to the one study that says smoking doesn't harm the fetus either. And we'll just disregard the decades of research that says otherwise.
  • imagelinabeau:

I'm really surprised by the response to this post. Or maybe the word is intrigued? I had absolutely no intention of causing such a stir, nor did I expect to have such an overwhelming response from people about my strange beer craving. 

I completely respect the opinions and choices of each woman-- regardless of whether of not I agree, as is the case here.

I can promise you all that I am neither ignorant nor selfish. I'm far more concerned with women eating Hot Pockets and Doritos during pregnancy than I am with myself-- a vegetarian yoga teacher-- having a few glasses of red wine during the course of the next nine months.  

The Mob Boss 

imageimage
  • imagemagdalina.h:
    Some people drink while pregnant. I took a sip of Baileys while pg with Aidan. I KNOW that didn't cause him to be born early since it was 2months before but I felt immense guilt. I gladly go 9 because of bfing without drinking.
    Huge difference between taking a sip, once.... And the OP. She isn't talking about sips. Women who have a glass of wine once or twice in the third tri don't get the side eye from me. Women who struggle to get past 12 weeks so they can have a beer.... Different story.
  • imagelinabeau:
    I'm really surprised by the response to this post. Or maybe the word is intrigued? I had absolutely no intention of causing such a stir, nor did I expect to have such an overwhelming response from people about my strange beer craving.nbsp;I completely respect the opinions and choices of each woman regardless of whether of not I agree, as is the case here. I can promise you all that I am neither ignorant nor selfish. I'm far more concerned with women eating Hot Pockets and Doritos during pregnancy than I am with myself a vegetarian yoga teacher having a few glasses of red wine during the course of the next nine months. nbsp;

I have a friend who had a beer craving while pregnant. She would have a sip of it here and there to deal with the craving. Her baby was fine. I didn't drink at all with DD, but I was high risk and a bundle of nerves. I may or may not choose to have a small glass of wine or a sip here and there like every couple of weeks or months. I don't know. Last week when I had my BFN I drank like a fish New Year's Eve and all. But havn't touched it since.
  • imagelinabeau:
    I'm really surprised by the response to this post. Or maybe the word is intrigued? I had absolutely no intention of causing such a stir, nor did I expect to have such an overwhelming response from people about my strange beer craving.nbsp;I completely respect the opinions and choices of each woman regardless of whether of not I agree, as is the case here. I can promise you all that I am neither ignorant nor selfish. I'm far more concerned with women eating Hot Pockets and Doritos during pregnancy than I am with myself a vegetarian yoga teacher having a few glasses of red wine during the course of the next nine months. nbsp;

Ok, I'm convinced, you're definitely a troll and I'm done feeding you. Have a nice life.
  • Double post. Sorry. Ignore.
  • Hm. Quite the stir!

Im not drinking now, but may enjoy a glass of wine on a rare occasion in the coming months. My cousin is a nurse practitioner and enjoyed a single glass of wine every Saturday night during each of her pregnancies. She just had a very healthy girl on Dec. 23rd!

I don't think craving beer is such a big deal, and nobody was talking about binge drinking or smoking crack. To each their own, right?

• Trista-exactly. So one study that you selected suddenly validates you to potentially harm your unborn child?
  • imageTristaD81:
    imageqpmomma:
    imageKaramelSutra:

imageqpmomma:

&nbsp;

Wow, one whole study huh? I'll put that next to the one study that says smoking doesn't harm the fetus either. And we'll just disregard the decades of research that says otherwise.

Decades of research on one freaking sip or drink every now and then? All the negative studies are done with high amounts.
  • imageegw9457:
    Tristaexactly. So one study that you selected suddenly validates you to potentially harm your unborn child?[/quote

Overdramatic much? Last I saw we were talking about a small amount, not throwing back shots at a frat party.
  • imageegw9457:
    Tristaexactly. So one study that you selected suddenly validates you to potentially harm your unborn child?

Apparently. I just don't understand, why take the risk? Is it really worth it to people? A couple sips here and there is one thing but whole glasses? Come on people.
  • What's most interesting about this entire message board is that only one person has approached this topic with even a modicum of respect or thoughtfulness. Drinking during pregnancy (which is not even a representation of what we're talking about here: drinking a few glasses of wine over 9 months) is a hotly debated topic with intelligent people on both sides of the argument. I fully respect each and every one of your choices, but I don't think the correct way to have a discussion is to attack someone personally. That's not setting the stage for us to have dialogue about myriad important topics over the next few months: vaccinations, cord blood, etc. etc. 

I accept that many of you see this as selfishness and/or an inability or refusal to give up alcohol-- it has nothing to do with willingness or ability. I simply don't feel as strongly about the risks as many of you do.

• I agree. It's sad. I may not be perfect, but I will do everything possible to do the best for my baby. If research points that it's potentially/likely dangerous, I can do without. 
  • imageeajeanthebean:
    imagelinabeau:

Seriously? 

Obviously she is going to start an awesome trend of great decision making for her child.  Should we start a slow clap? no? Yeah, I didn't think so either.

OP, you are either stupid, or make up stupid things. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"