June 2013 Moms

Birth photographer

Anyone with experience with a birth photographer?

Bless her heart, one of our nurses picked up our camera and snapped pictures right after DS was born but they are pretty terrible, she didn't know how to use our Nikon. Better than nothing but makes me think it would be awesome to have a real photographer there.

Any tips on finding one? My sister in law is a learning photographer but I'm not sure how cool my brothers wife would be seeing me naked lol
Pg with #2

Re: Birth photographer

• We getting one. My photographer I use for everything engagement, wedding, fall/holiday card photos, etc. does them. They are such a beautiful way to remember it all. It is probably a little weird having someone not so close sharing those moments but I think as long as they are professional and not creepy, it is just like another nurse.

Maybe try searching birth photographer in your area. Make sure they are flexible, ie on call and willing to stay for hours.
  • As a photographer I do not advertise this type of service but if someone approached me and the timing was right I would totally try it.  

My suggestion would be to find a newborn photographer in your area and ask if there is any interest....if they have never done a birth before you maybe get a reduced rate.    

If you feel like giving me a general area you are from I can check out a few photography boards I am on and see if there is any one in your area.....one is a birth photography one so I know they would be willing.... 

]image
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehuckleberry08:
    Be sure that your hospital allows it, depending on the type of photos you're going for. Mine says you have to get a signed agreement from the delivering OB and generally discourages it (unfortunately - I think it would be so neat!).

Also, if you wind up having a c-section they would not be allowed in the surgery suite. DH was in there with me during mine and we got some awsome pictures that he just took with my little Canon. My OB actually held Jack up so DH could get a shot. He had just pulled him out so the cord is hanging down and he's gooey. Luckily they had my stomach mostly covered so you don't see any of my insides (CREEPY!)

Found the picture:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TTC Baby Rob #1 05/07, BFP 06/07, EDD 02/22/08, Baby Jackaroo born via c-section after 22 hours of labor on 02/27/08
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC Baby Rob #2 06/11 BFP 11/06/11 EDD 07/16/12 Natural M/C 11/25/11 @ 6w3d
    Baby Rob #2 (Sloane), in our hearts always.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here comes Baby Rob #3
     BFP on Cycle 17 09/27/12. EDD 06/04/12! Please Stick Baby! A/S 01/22/13 Baby looking great. Officially TEAM BLUE! Jack is getting a Baby Brother! RCS scheduled for 05/29/13. William Daryll born at 9:59am on 05/29/13. Left ovary and tube removed due to peach sized tumor found during RCS. Pathology came back benign!

• My hospital has on site photography services that you can sign up for. I think that is becoming pretty common, but maybe not! I have to register for that at some point, but the pictures I have seen have been really good. They give you a password to the online pictures so you can share them immediately with family.

https://www.bellababyphotography.com/ 

EDIT: I do not have to register, they come to all new mom's and do a photoshoot if you would like.

imageimageimage
    My two girls Flower and Ayla Faye
  • imageChristyD6:

My hospital has on site photography services that you can sign up for. I think that is becoming pretty common, but maybe not! I have to register for that at some point, but the pictures I have seen have been really good. They give you a password to the online pictures so you can share them immediately with family.

EDIT: I do not have to register, they come to all new mom's and do a photoshoot if you would like.

Thanks for the link. DH and I are considering Birth photos but we havent decided yet.

Ps. love your siggy photos

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would but I feel like I would have wanted the photog to be a good friend or family member
    My Blog: Say Lucky Pregnancy Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a birth photographer and am also a birth photographer.  : )  I ended up being a hospital transfer from a birth center for an emergency c/s, so I kind of feel like I wasted my $.  I have lots of ugly labor photos but none of the baby.  Just google birth photographers in your area.  Birth photography is unlike any other area of photography.  It requires different equipment than portrait photography.  I used to do mainly weddings, but have found that I enjoy births more.  I would say that birth photography is closer to photo-journalistic wedding photography than anything else.
    Formerly Photocat82, but the bump is fabulous and I somehow ended up with a corrupted account. imageAdventures in Randomness Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageDESTINYSARA:
    imageChristyD6:

My hospital has on site photography services that you can sign up for. I think that is becoming pretty common, but maybe not! I have to register for that at some point, but the pictures I have seen have been really good. They give you a password to the online pictures so you can share them immediately with family.

Thanks for the link. DH and I are considering Birth photos but we havent decided yet.

Ps. love your siggy photos

Your welcome and thanks! I'm not planing on having a photog in for the acual delivery, I better reread through the website! I just want cute cuddly newborn pics.
    imageimageimage
    My two girls Flower and Ayla Faye
  • I may can help...

Where do you live?? I know a handful of birth photographers across the US that I can recommend depending on where you live. :

I am a photographer who shoots births..this is how I know a few others who do the same. I have already hired another birth photographer for my own delivery in June.

Congrats!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"