3rd Trimester
Options

Regular wash or boil?

I plan to breastfeed but, just in case that I can't I want to have my bottles prepared. I'm not sure if I should just wash them with a bit of soapy water, boil, and/or steam them? Thanks for the input!
IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Regular wash or boil?

• Options

FTM, so I'm not 100% on this.  But I've seen on thebump that boiling is recommended for the bottles.  The nipples may have to be steamed depending on what they're made of. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    I'd either soak them in really hot, soapy water the first time or run them through the dish washer.  I think I used a sterilizer once last time... and it melted a paci. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I always boil new bottles/nipples/pacifiers for 20 minutes before the first use.  After that I hand wash them.  You could boil them again periodically but it's not necessary.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Best to boil, and limit the amount of time for the nipples (under 3 min) the material will break down.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I boiled them the first time, and every once in a (great) while, but in between they just got thrown into the dishwasher, which sanitizes them.
  • Options
    I just wash them in hot, soapy water.  I use glass though.  I plan to EBF but will pump into bottles eventually.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Read the instructions on the side of the bottles! Sanitizing is different for all bottles and parts of bottles. Nipples almost always are boiled, but some bottles and nipple rings can't be while others should be. I also would consider only washing one or two bottles because some babies won't take certain bottles or nipples, and you may have to try a few brands.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The instructions on your bottles should tell you exactly what to do. The ones I've used (which is a lot) say to boil before first use (and they say how long, etc) and not to boil again after that one time. After that you wash as you would any other dishes.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you everyone!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

FTM & wasn't sure what to do either

So I washed them in warm water & soap. and then today I boiled everything!

I hear that boiling is suppose to be done before the first use..that's it bc it ruins the plastic.

I also read the manual/instructions that came with the bottles to check what they said. the one said to ask the dr. if it's recommended so we just did it anyway. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • Options
    It didn't say anything on the box about what to do. I just wondered what other opinions out there were about the subject. Smile
    IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"