November 2011 Moms

We did it! - Flying with a Toddler

So I took LO to Mexico over the holidays and he was a natural when it came to travelling. Because he's a preemie, he still fit in the infant carrier somewhat comfortably, so it made traveling so much easier. The hard part about flying was no direct access to milk so he had more juice that usual. We took plenty of snacks and his favorite toy.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

Re: We did it! - Flying with a Toddler

• Yay!  congrats on a successful flight.  We're flying with DD in a couple weeks, the first time since she's been mobile.  Should be very interesting :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Glad it went well!

My DS has been on lots of flights. The key is snacks entertainment and milk! I usually try to fly around nap time. This way it's a bite to eat some milk and snoozing before we are cruising. Has worked so far for me!  

• Loading the player...
  • Yay!  So glad to hear it went well!  We'll be flying in April for the first time since she's mobile - I'm super nervous, but this makes me feel better!  Hope you enjoyed your trip!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepurple4u:

I usually try to fly around nap time. This way it's a bite to eat some milk and snoozing before we are cruising. Has worked so far for me!  

totally forgot to mention the nap time. That really helped too

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• imagee_cruiz:
    imagepurple4u:

I usually try to fly around nap time. This way it's a bite to eat some milk and snoozing before we are cruising. Has worked so far for me!  

totally forgot to mention the nap time. That really helped too

DH and I were just talking about this actually!  I'm afraid the newness and excitement is going to distract her from wanting to sleep?  She'll be in my lap too, so I'm not sure...were your kiddos in their own seat?  TIA 

• My DS has only ever traveled as a lap baby. I usually also bring his sleep lovie. He usually looks around a bit and settles down by looking outside and eventually snuggles and snoozes.

If you gate check your car seat and there extra seats on plane they will usually let you install and use it
  • I actually travelled both lap and in his own seat. Due to overbooking the paid me to carry  him on my lap for on leg of our flight. The lap was not so bad for me but I felt bad for the person in front of us because LO kept trying to hits that seat. On the other leg of the flight he had his own seat. He slept more comfortably but with the infant carrier the person in front of us couldn't really lean the seat back.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Awesome! I hope you guys had a great time in Mexico!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Good luck!  Fingers crossed for you that a nap is involved, that helps the trip go by so much more quickly :).  We have traveled a few times with ours, but now that he is more mobile it is definitely more tricky.  Our experience has been that even if the flight is not full, they never let us bring the carseat on the plane, however we did get to have an extra seat on one flight and that made a HUGE difference.  Snacks and distractions are great (and keep them handy and not overhead or at bottom of diaper bag), electronics can help distract, and when ours has gotten really antsy on longer flights most flight attendants don't mind them crawling around by the lavatories to get out some energy and keep the passengers near you sane (I always ask first though).  Have a great trip!!!

• We are taking our first trip soon. I'm starting to freak out. It is good to hear that it went well for others.
  • Glad everything went well.  I have flown with DS a bunch when he was younger, but nothing lately.  I am super nervous about having to go back to the States with a toddler, infant, and a cat and dog.  Not sure how I am going to do it.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Good job!  Flying with my toddler was scary, but the preparation definitely paid off!  Congrats!
    www.MommyMiaMonologues.com Tessa born on 11-11-11. Happy mommy! Blog Author of Mommy Mia Monologues
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"