June 2013 Moms

Interesting breastfeeding article

Hey ladies!  Here is an interesting article I found about the medical community and breastfeeding moms.  Sorry I do not know how to make it clicky.

https://www.cnn.com/2013/01/03/health/medical-breastfeeding/index.html?hpt=hp_bn12

Thought you might enjoy it!  Hopefully soon breastfeeding with get the medical attention it needs and deserves.

EmmasleepingNalaPregnancy Ticker

Re: Interesting breastfeeding article

• thank you for sharing that. very interesting indeed.

• There's definitely something to that.

I think that OBs should be educated in breastfeeding as well as pediatricians. It is relevant obstetrically because breastfeeding lowers mom's risk of breast cancer significantly and risk of PPD.

Pediatricians need to understand how formula fed babies grow differently than breastfed babies.

My pediatrician has a lactation consultant on staff. I am actually having issues with my pediatrician right now because she wants to use the CDC chart to categorize my son, but he is breastfed. The WHO chart more accurately reflects a healthy average for breastfed babies. On the CDC chart it looks like my son has major issues and on the WHO chart he looks pretty darn normal.

There needs to be a LOT more education on breastfeeding across the board.

Pg with #2
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for sharing! That's a great, yet depressing, article.
    BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMoparWife67:
    There's definitely something to that.

I think that OBs should be educated in breastfeeding as well as pediatricians. It is relevant obstetrically because breastfeeding lowers mom's risk of breast cancer significantly and risk of PPD.

Pediatricians need to understand how formula fed babies grow differently than breastfed babies.

My pediatrician has a lactation consultant on staff. I am actually having issues with my pediatrician right now because she wants to use the CDC chart to categorize my son, but he is breastfed. The WHO chart more accurately reflects a healthy average for breastfed babies. On the CDC chart it looks like my son has major issues and on the WHO chart he looks pretty darn normal.

I breastfed and had terrible ppd..i guess i was unlucky
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagefefy2323:
    imageMoparWife67:
    There's definitely something to that.

I breastfed and had terrible ppd..i guess i was unlucky

:[ I'm sorry! It lowers the risk, doesn't eliminate it. My mil bf my husband for 3 and had horrible PPD.
    Pg with #2
  • I'm lurking on my phone right now but I saw this and had to comment about PP who mentioned the CDC vs WHO charts... Our Pedi did that with M. She's a peanut and for a little while she wanted us to supplement her because she wasn't gaining a huge amount of weight quickly and I refused because I knew she was perfectly healthy and getting plenty. Then a couple of weeks later someone posted about the WHO chart on the BF board and I looked, M was small yes, but she did not fall off that curve once!!! Not once!!! I was so pissed at the stupid doc!! And the fact that the WHO charts aren't nearly as frequently consulted in the US as they should be... And I could absolutely start on a huge rant about BFing and it's lack of importance in the US but I won't hahaha
    Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"