November 2012 Moms

squeaky when eating?

Of course, I forgot to ask the doctor today when I took DS to his appointment (I always forget at least one thing I'm meaning to ask)...

Does your LO make squeaking noises when eating? It sounds like it's on the inhale. I guess babies are just squeaky and it's normal, but there's so much that can either be normal or something wrong...it's hard to know. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: squeaky when eating?

• Hallie is 1/2 mouse. She squeaks while eating, while sleeping, while playing. All. The. Time. I'm sure it's normal. Some babies just squeak. My niece used to growl when she was a baby. It was absolutely adorable!
  • Is it only when he's eating or does he do it at other times when he's just inhaling too?

My LO makes a sound like she's breaking suction on each suck for awhile when I first let down as she tries to keep up.

• Loading the player...
  • imageZoeMay06:

Is it only when he's eating or does he do it at other times when he's just inhaling too?

My LO makes a sound like she's breaking suction on each suck for awhile when I first let down as she tries to keep up.

I've noticed him doing it when he's waking up, but more often when eating....otherwise, breathing sounds normal.  

• DS squeaks all the time; eating, breathing, etc.  My BIL, a pediatric cardiologist, heard him over the break and told me he had some technical term that basically means their little systems kind of collapse while breathing.  Totally normal and nothing to worry about.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My little one grunts and squeeks when eating. I guess she's just really enjoying her meal 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageweebos8:
    DS squeaks all the time; eating, breathing, etc.  My BIL, a pediatric cardiologist, heard him over the break and told me he had some technical term that basically means their little systems kind of collapse while breathing.  Totally normal and nothing to worry about.  

Stridor? Laryngomalacia?

It probably is totally normal. If it's happening all the time whenever they inhale it could be something more serious but they usually grow out of it either way. If they can breathe and eat just fine there's probably nothing to worry about.

Don't mind me, just sitting here in my swallowing disorders class so this stuff is all fresh in my mind.

• imageZoeMay06:

imageweebos8:
    DS squeaks all the time; eating, breathing, etc.  My BIL, a pediatric cardiologist, heard him over the break and told me he had some technical term that basically means their little systems kind of collapse while breathing.  Totally normal and nothing to worry about.  

Stridor? Laryngomalacia?

It probably is totally normal. If it's happening all the time whenever they inhale it could be something more serious but they usually grow out of it either way. If they can breathe and eat just fine there's probably nothing to worry about.

Don't mind me, just sitting here in my swallowing disorders class so this stuff is all fresh in my mind.

Oh yes...forgot you were studying for SLP. Yep, that's why I'm concerned....thinking laryngomalacia...but I have never had a patient with that, so not sure what it sounds like in real life. Know there is usually no treatment for it and kids usually outgrow it...but it still bugs me wondering if that's it or not. Also, DS coughs during feedings, which has bothered me...as to whether it's due to aspiration or reflux. Brought it up to a nurse and she said I was overanalyzing everything because of being an SLP...ugh! Doctor said probably reflux. Still stresses me out bigtime when he does it though! :(

• DS squeaks while eating here also. Most of the time it is when I pick him up to burp and it's on the inhale. Some,times if I pick him up while he's sleeping too, as he starts to wake up he will squeak. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since June 2009
    01/10- Femara
    03/10- Femara
    07/2010- Clomid with injectables and IUI #1
    08/2010- IUI #2
    06/2011- IVF #1 BFP!
    09/2011- Miscarriage at 10 1/2 weeks
    11/2011- FET
    01/2012- Start Home Study process
    03/2012- Home Study approved and now waiting on our child to find us!
    07/2012- matched with a BM who is due in October!
    11/10/12- our son is born!
    11/13/12- court grants us custody!
     12/28/12- finalization! Always ours in our hearts, but.now also ours forever

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

http://keepingupwiththejoneses-dana.blogspot.com/

• imageZoeMay06:

imageweebos8:

Stridor? Laryngomalacia?

I think it was Laryngomalacia.  I'm not concerned; BIL said he was fine and is doing it much less than when he was born.  But yay for you knowing the answer!  :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS does/did!! - it started right around 2 weeks and at 7 weeks has almost cleared up.  It was on every inhale for every feeding and LOUD.  You are a fellow SLP, right?  All I could think was stridor, but it isn't/wasn't all of the time, only when eating.  I called the nurses line - they told me to make sure it wasn't his nose, it wasn't.  I took a video clip to the pediatrician who said, "well, it isn't normal" but since weight gain was good and he clearly could breath, it wasn't anything to worry about.  He suggested a "touch of laryngomalacia" which was what I was thinking but not sure you could have "some" - Like I said, at 7 weeks, it is really clearing up - instead of every inhale of every feeding, I hear it maybe 20% of the time.  I think it is really just that - slightly under developed larynx getting stronger each day.  There was clearly some obstruction of the airway.

• I hadn't read replies when I replied.  I still haven't finished them all.  My LO also coughs - my daughter did too.  Organizing sucking, swallowing, breathing, saliva and mucous is just hard.  If you are getting good weight gain, pooping, peeing, no signs of not breathing, I think it is all normal - and it is hard as an SLP to not let it make you crazy.  Also, the line between reflux and good ol' spit up is a fine one.  Again, if not refusing to eat, no classic reflux signs, good weight gain, etc., I think all is good.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"