Baby Names

Sounds too short?

My husband wants to name our baby girl Bryce.  I like the name but we have agreed to use my MN Blair.  Does Bryce Blair sound too short?  He thinks it sounds fine, but I'm not sure.  He won't really budge on the FN...

Re: Sounds too short?

• Too short. Too choppy. Too masculine. I like Blair for a girl (first name) but that combo is 100% boy to me.

"he won't budge" is not cool. Naming a baby is about compromise.

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Bryce is a boys' name, and sound awful with Blair. Sorry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageManderlin923:

Too short. Too choppy. Too masculine. I like Blair for a girl (first name) but that combo is 100% boy to me.

This! 

• I like Bryce, I think it's cute... but I don't think it flows well with Blair. As a PP said, why not keep Bryce and choose something really girly as a MN to balance it out ex. Bryce Elisabeth, Bryce Clare...etc.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Not a huge fan of boy names for girls.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• If you don't love the name, you need to be able to veto it, just like your H should be able to veto names that he doesn't love. I agree with the PPs that have said this name is too choppy and doesn't flow well. I think the alliteration just emphasizes the choppiness.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC#1!
    12/1999: Dx with Endometriosis (age 12)
    5/2001: Ruptured appendix, massive scar tissue
    6/2005:Dx with Interstitial Cystitis
    9/2005: Gall bladder removed due to problems from cysts
    7/2006: Officially Dx with Fibromyalgia (age 18)
    2/2010: Partial left ovarian torsion

10/2012: SA = Low Motility
    11/2012: Surgery #5 to remove scar tissue & paratubal cyst
    HSG: Right tube blocked; unable to clear
  • If I just read the name I would think your daughter was a boy. The names seems very maculine to me. Probably because my brother name is Brycen and I've always thought of using Bryce for a boy.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Name aside, "he won't budge" is not acceptable. If you are not exaggerating, be aware that that sort of behavior is controlling and manipulative.
  • imageMelRC117:

I dislike the double B's, the one syllables, and Bryce on a girl.  I don't mind Blair for a girl though. 

Your H needs to compromise.

All of this.

FKA mimi4347: diaper rash magician and unofficial expert on excrement
    photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
    This kid may not have a lot of bowel, but he has plenty of guts! 
    DS born at 34 weeks with (surprise!) gastroschisis turned short bowel syndrome.
    131 days in the NICU, 7 trips to the OR, G-button, daily TPN....
    We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.
  • imageManderlin923:
    Too short. Too choppy. Too masculine. I like Blair for a girl first name but that combo is 100 boy to me. "he won't budge" is not cool. Naming a baby is about compromise.

I agree 100
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• I think they sound fine. And I think 'flow' exceptions should be made when a MN is a family name or an important name. I do like Bryce, nice choice.

• imageMelRC117:

I dislike the double B's, the one syllables, and Bryce on a girl.  I don't mind Blair for a girl though. 

Your H needs to compromise.

I agree with all of this.  Blair is good, but I don't think it sounds good at all with Bryce.

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• imageCabbageCabbage:
    It sounds too masculine and too choppy. I don't like the combo.

This.

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• imageCabbageCabbage:
    It sounds too masculine and too choppy. I don't like the combo.

This exactly.  Bryce is a boy's name.  Blair is a unisex name, so I would assume this was a boy.  Plus the alliteration and the two one-syllable names don't flow well.

BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJoy2611:

People are putting Bryce on girls?

Yikes.

I thought of Bryce Dallas Howard (actress), but I do think it's a male name that a few misguided individuals are using on females. Perhaps it's just me, but I am more forgiving of odd names on famous people, probably because they take so many "creative" liberties in naming their own children. If you're not famous, it's just cruel (and probably is even if you're famous, but the trust fund might make it more tolerable).

• imagemabenner1:
    Bryce is a boys' name, and sound awful with Blair. Sorry.

I completely agree.  Not a fan at all. 

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• imageAllycat11:

imagemabenner1:
    Bryce is a boys' name, and sound awful with Blair. Sorry.

I completely agree.  Not a fan at all. 

This all the way. So ugly on a little girl.
    Birthday

• I do not like Bryce on a boy, much less a girl, and Bryce Blair doesn't have the best flow.  I don't mind flow though if the mn means something.  I would pick a different fn if I were you though.
  • Too chopy and Bryce to me is a boys name.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It sounds too choppy. I also think of Bryce as a masculine name as I knew a Bryce in elementary school.
  • imageJoy2611:

People are putting Bryce on girls?

Yikes.

Been happening for a while, Bryce Dallas Howard is Ron Howard's daughter.  Not good, but not new.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageManderlin923:

Too short. Too choppy. Too masculine. I like Blair for a girl (first name) but that combo is 100% boy to me.

+1

I'd be mad at that kind of reaction from my H.  I hope you guys can come up with a good compromise! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's very masculine and does not flow at all. Sorry, I'd keep looking. He has to budge on the FN if you're not into it. 
  • Between the double Bs, choppy sound, and totally masculine name I think it's all around bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"