Attachment Parenting

Is there any safe way to cosleep on a couch?

I can't sleep in my room atm so I sleep on the couch with his bassinet next to me. Problem is he only wants to sleep with me now and cries if he isn't. How can I safely bed share... On a couch?

Re: Is there any safe way to cosleep on a couch?

• I wouldn't do it and I'm a big bed sharing fan - there's just no way to make the surface safe as the couch is too squishy and you can't get the cushions out of the way.  Sorry :(
  • I personally wouldn't do it, I'd probably sleep on the floor before I'd try the couch.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would nap on the couch with baby in a front carry in the mei tai... but that does not sound comfy for at night, nor can you breastfeed.

The floor is a better option.

• Can you get a twin mattress or futon for the floor for both of you? Sleeping on a couch with a baby is never safe.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I'll be the lone rebel here. I've been sleeping on the couch with DD since around 4 months. My couch is pretty firm. We have a sectional with a chaise lounge attached. I sleep with my head at the corner where the sofa and chaise meet and I sleep on my right side with my back against the couch. DD sleeps on her left side in front of me and we sidelye nurse to sleep. She either unlatches and rolls onto her back or she uses my boob as a pillow. We have a large cushioned ottoman that we put in the corner of the couch to block us in.

It definitely took some getting used to but now I'm only able to sleep comfortably on the couch cause I need to be able to lean back against something and a body pillow just doesn't cut it in bed. HTH

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagencbelle:
    I wouldn't do it and I'm a big bed sharing fan - there's just no way to make the surface safe as the couch is too squishy and you can't get the cushions out of the way.  Sorry :(

This. Can you sleep on the floor instead?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageLatteLady5:

imagencbelle:
    I wouldn't do it and I'm a big bed sharing fan - there's just no way to make the surface safe as the couch is too squishy and you can't get the cushions out of the way.  Sorry :(

I have been thinking about it, I wouldn't be able to place down a mattress so it would be on a comforter it two is that safe or no? I have to do something. I try to get him to sleep in his bassinet but he just won't do it. We fell asleep on the couch last night from exhaustion while he was nursing. I don't even remember falling asleep so it really scares me, I would hate to wake up to my LO hurt or worse.
  • Why can't you sleep in your room?

Frankly, I'd kick out DH and he can sleep on the couch.

• Can you sleep on the floor instead?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We bedshared for a looong time, but I wouldn't do it on the couch.  It's very unsafe on the "list" of things not to do when bedsharing; too many cracks and cranies and ways to fall off the couch.  Maybe you can put the bassinet or a moses basket on the floor next to you and leave your hand on the baby?  Why aren't you sleeping in your bedroom?  I know I slept on the couch the first few weeks because I had a csection and it was more comfortable and easier to get up from the couch.  I just put the Moses basket (and a baby monitor connected to DH) near me.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageanicolej26:
    imageLatteLady5:

imagencbelle:

I have been thinking about it, I wouldn't be able to place down a mattress so it would be on a comforter it two is that safe or no? I have to do something. I try to get him to sleep in his bassinet but he just won't do it. We fell asleep on the couch last night from exhaustion while he was nursing. I don't even remember falling asleep so it really scares me, I would hate to wake up to my LO hurt or worse.

I wouldn't do an air mattress simply because as the air escapes from the mattress your LO is going to start rolling into you and you're back in an unsafe position. Are you opposed to bringing the baby into your bed? Why can't you sleep in your room? If you're remodeling or something could you bring your mattress to the living room and put it on the floor?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Literature I've read on this has stressed not cosleeping on a sofa, due to the risk of suffocation. I would roll out a few extra blankets on the floor, if that is something you can manage comfortably.
  • Blankets on the floor are fine! Just make sure they are flat and not bunched up around the baby.

To the poster who said she does cosleep on a couch, your baby could roll into the crack between the couch and the ottoman. Too many crevices in a couch.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• No. Don't do it. 
  • Our public health nurse was discussing safe sleep and mentioned "safer" sleep when the best practices won't work. She said if the baby and parent could only get good sleep on a couch with the baby on you, to wrap a sheet or thin blanket right around you, below the arms of the baby, so they won't fall off. Personally I'm not comfortable with it, but so far LO is okay with the PnP next to our bed. If it came to it, I would try for a floor bed instead of the couch.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"