3rd Trimester

Witch Hazel Pad Question

I think I have a question that will make many of you ladies LOL, but I honestly left the drug store last night scratching my head. Hmm

I've read a lot of posts on here about how great witch hazel pads are for recovery for "down there". So I set out to get some. While at the drug store I only could find witch hazel pads for hemorrhoids. I did not see anything that would be for postpartum. Do I use the hemorrhoidal pads, or is there one designated for postpartum?

Thanks Ladies!!

Re: Witch Hazel Pad Question

• Yes, those are the ones.  My hospital gave me a little container of them that got me though.  ITA that they are awesome!  My little postpartum routine was a pad with witch hazel pads laid down along it and then a long squirt of hemorrhoid cream to help with swelling. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yep, you can get the homorrhoid pads or you can make your own.  I took maxi pads, soaked them in Witch Hazel and then put them in the freezer.  I read that they are a life saver!

BFP#1 -3/18/12- M/C 3/31/12,
    BFP#2 -4/25/12, Beta#1 17dpo= 800, Beta#2 20dpo= 3800, Ethan James born 1-5-13

BFP#3- February 2015- natural miscarriage

BFP#4- June 2015- Ruptured ectopic, severe hemorrhage and loss of left tube on 7/10/2015

BFP#5- 12/18/15

• Loading the player...
  • imageLas135:
    Yep, you can get the homorrhoid pads or you can make your own.nbsp; I took maxi pads, soaked them in Witch Hazel and then put them in the freezer.nbsp; I read that they are a life saver!

I loved these things!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedoremi29:
    Yes, those are the ones.  My hospital gave me a little container of them that got me though.  ITA that they are awesome!  My little postpartum routine was a pad with witch hazel pads laid down along it and then a long squirt of hemorrhoid cream to help with swelling. 

This. Also I think the name brand for these pads is Tucks. Well that is what they are called around here anyways.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's them.  I got some wipes, too, that might stay in place better than a line of pads on days that I need to be more active.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Witch Hazel is Witch Hazel, there is no difference.  The hospital will probably provide you with enough stuff to last a while, I wouldn't rush out to buy anything yet.

FWIW, the WH pads are a life saver if you need stitches.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLas135:
    Yep, you can get the homorrhoid pads or you can make your own.  I took maxi pads, soaked them in Witch Hazel and then put them in the freezer.  I read that they are a life saver!

Yeh you're not going to find them labeled for postpartum. It's most likely cheaper to get a bottle of witch hazel and make your own though. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I feel totally out of the loop. My hospital did not give or tell me to get any such thing! I had stitches and all. Good to know.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageLas135:
    Yep, you can get the homorrhoid pads or you can make your own.  I took maxi pads, soaked them in Witch Hazel and then put them in the freezer.  I read that they are a life saver!

This way there is more concentrated witch hazel and helps a little more IMO than the tucks, etc.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Those are it and they are awesome!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • imagekelliejo74:

While at the drug store I only could find witch hazel pads for hemorrhoids. I did not see anything that would be for postpartum. Do I use the hemorrhoidal pads, or is there one designated for postpartum?

I would recommend "making" pads for it. You can buy witch hazel at the drug store in a bottle... then you can put that on things (actual pads). Witch hazel is an astringent.. it helps reduce swellings and inflammations.. which is what a hemorrhoid is. You can use the pads they make.. but I feel like those are pretty tiny and don't really do much in the long term.....

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Dumb question--do we use witch hazel for healing both our vaginal and perineal areas or just our bums?

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• I plan on making my own also...but from reading other posts, I am going to look for pads without the "dry-weave."  Other ladies said they can pull on the sutures!  Yikes!!  I haven't worn pads in 15 years????  so I'm sure I will be in for a shock when I go looking!!
  • I wasn't aware they could be used for postpartum, but during my first pregnancy, they did absolutely NOTHING for the hemorrhoids I swear!!!!!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"