Babies: 0 - 3 Months

question about overfeeding.

We are formula feeding and I know with formula it is harder to know when they are "done", so I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how you can tell. 

My DS is a little over two weeks old and doesn't really pull away from the bottle or get fussy, but has been spitting up a little more than usual. He usually eats about two ounces, but sometimes it's more and sometimes it's less. He's gaining weight good as well, I just don't want to overdo it. 

Damon & Alaric Icon Pictures, Images and PhotosCute icon Pictures, Images and PhotosDaisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: question about overfeeding.

• Usually if they are spitting up more then they may be taking more in than they should. I also FF and something that I noticed with my LO was if he just sat with the bottle in his mouth. Also a good tip...my LO does this thing where if he is hungry or I think he is hungry I put his face up to my cheek as if he were to kiss my cheek and if he starts moving his head side to side with his mouth open than he is hungry/still hungry.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Ourfasttrackfamily.blogspot.com

• imageOrganizedbride@yahoo.com:
    Usually if they are spitting up more then they may be taking more in than they should. I also FF and something that I noticed with my LO was if he just sat with the bottle in his mouth. Also a good tip...my LO does this thing where if he is hungry or I think he is hungry I put his face up to my cheek as if he were to kiss my cheek and if he starts moving his head side to side with his mouth open than he is hungry/still hungry.

That's a good idea about the cheek thing. I usually try to tickle his cheek to see if he's still interested in the bottle, but I have noticed that if I can take the bottle out of his mouth then we are done for now. Most of the time he tries to take it back in, so that's why I am having a hard time.

The spitting up ceased some since we've switched to soy. We also try and take breaks during feedings now, like for thirty minutes or so to see if he still wants the bottle. It seems like his eyes are bigger than his stomach so he tries to take too much haha.

I just don't want to be like some moms (like my SIL) who sticks the bottle in her baby's mouth every single time they cry and end up with a baby in 24 month clothes (like my SIL). 

Damon & Alaric Icon Pictures, Images and PhotosCute icon Pictures, Images and PhotosDaisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Does your LO take a pacifier? Sometimes when I notice that she is playing with the bottle or taking really long breaks and just letting it sit in her mouth then I will give her the pacifier. And she will happily suck on it. If she was still hungry then she will let me know.
    Also if she finishes the bottle then I will offer her another oz or two. I make 4oz bottles and sometimes it's enough and sometimes its not. I read that it's good to always have some left in the bottle when they finish eating so you know yet stopped because they are full and not because it's empty.
    My dd does spit up. Sometimes a lot and sometimes just a little bit. I think it's all normal as their body is growing and adjusting.
  • I had that problem with ds, he was projectile vomiting everywhere after each feeding so it wasnt hard to figure out he was over eating. I started giving him less formula at a time, like instead of a 4 oz bottle I cut it down to 2 or 3 then if he was still hungry after Id give him another oz.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • With my guy I start on his usual 2 oz and if he is still hungry I'll add an ounce at a time...now he always takes 3.  I try to pause while he's eating to see if he falls asleep or still is fussy and he always lets me know what he wants
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

• imageaimee413:
    Does your LO take a pacifier? Sometimes when I notice that she is playing with the bottle or taking really long breaks and just letting it sit in her mouth then I will give her the pacifier. And she will happily suck on it. If she was still hungry then she will let me know.
    Also if she finishes the bottle then I will offer her another oz or two. I make 4oz bottles and sometimes it's enough and sometimes its not. I read that it's good to always have some left in the bottle when they finish eating so you know yet stopped because they are full and not because it's empty.
    My dd does spit up. Sometimes a lot and sometimes just a little bit. I think it's all normal as their body is growing and adjusting.

yep, he's a pacifier baby. it's one of the things that makes it hard to know if he's just wanting something to suck on or if he's still hungry. usually if I give him the pacifier and he starts fussing, I try to feed him some more.

Taking breaks during his bottle also helps him spit up less and eat better, so we're going to keep trying that.

• imageaimee413:
    Does your LO take a pacifier? Sometimes when I notice that she is playing with the bottle or taking really long breaks and just letting it sit in her mouth then I will give her the pacifier. And she will happily suck on it. If she was still hungry then she will let me know.

yep, he's a pacifier baby. it's one of the things that makes it hard to know if he's just wanting something to suck on or if he's still hungry. usually if I give him the pacifier and he starts fussing, I try to feed him some more.

Taking breaks during his bottle also helps him spit up less and eat better, so we're going to keep trying that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"