2nd Trimester

Picking up other children

So someone told me I shouldn't be picking up my 2 yr old, who weighs 28 lbs. It makes sense but sometimes you just don't really have a choice. Guess I'm wondering what is the specific reason why? Clearly if it hurts or once I get too big I will try not too. Just curious for those who have toddlers out there...

Re: Picking up other children

• Unless that someone was your doctor, I wouldn't worry about it,  You are used to picking up your kiddo.  I am no longer allowed to pick up my kiddo or anything else even slightly heavy, because I had fetal surgery and now have a permanent hole in one of my amniotic sacs and am at risk for premature rupture and labor.  But up until the surgery, I was fine to pick him up.  Just use good lifting mechanics as much as possible and you should be fine.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• There are some general guidelines about weight limits HOWEVER those don't apply to reasonable weights that you are used to lifting in your every day life (i.e. your kid).  And the danger (except in cases like the PP who has a medical issue) is to yourself, not the baby.  Your ligaments are very loose and you risk injuring yourself if you lift some crazy heavily (and improperly).
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • imageLoisLane23:
    False.

This.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby #3! BFP 10/20/12 EDD 6/27/13
  • Unless my doctor gives me a good reason, I'm not stopping picking up my 2 year old.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've picked up my 37lb 2 year old throughout my entire pregnancy.
  • I would think that it is impossible for most mothers not to be able to pick up their younger children on a daily basis.  I can think of many instances throughout the day that I must pick up both my boys. 

DS1 was 22 months when DS2 was born and there was never a point where I could not pick him up. The only way that would work is if you had around the clock outside help, which I'm sure most of us do not have.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I agree with PPs. You can totally pick up your two year old while being pregnant. I pick up my DD with one arm on her back and the other underneath her legs. Its more like carrying her but it helps to even out the weight and doesn't cause any strain when i pick her up.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I was told not to pick up more weight than I did on a daily basis before getting pg.  I worked at a daycare when I was pg with DD and I picked up 2 and 3  year olds daily.  DD is now 3 (about 35lbs) and I pick her up and carry her around daily as well.
  • My doctor told me that as long as I felt okay to continue lifting and doing what I do everyday.  I worked at a daycare and picked up kids all the time when I was pg with DS.  Towards the end, my staff would help me.

My son now is 34 lbs and I pick him up all the time.  I think your body will tell you what you should and shouldnt be doing.   

image imagePregnancy Ticker image
  • I specifically asked my doc about picking up my 40lb niece who is 3 and he said as along as it doesn't cause discomfort then it is okay.  I have noticed that when I was picking her up this past weekend it was a little more uncomfortable to bend down and get her BUT I am not her mama so you ladies that have toddlers are more used to it than me. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hahaha! I would never go anywhere if I couldn't pick up my 21 month old (who is 26lbs). I'm imagining that I will carry her all through pregnancy unless my doctor says it's an issue. 
  • That is ridiculous. Unless you are having complications that would require you to not lift, it is totally unrealistic to think you wouldn't pick your older kid(s) up. I pick up both of my kids all the time.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well my 2 year old can walk. So I don't have this issue since he's old enough to walk and if you're capable of walking I don't carry around any of my kids. DD is 1 and she walks to so I only carry her when we're going up and down the stairs.

• This "someone" needs to quiet their mouth unless they are your OB. It does not "make sense;" how would it?

I worked a manual labor job when I got pregnant lifting things up to 40lbs and had a lengthy talk with my OB about lifting. He said there's no way, unless you already have bleeding, a placental issue or compromised cervix, that lifting an cause any harm to the baby. The idea that lifting something can harm the pregnancy is a myth. The myth stems from the truth that lifting can, once you are big and unbalanced, cause you to pull a muscle or strain something.

I was told I could keep working my job as long as it was comfortable for me; he guessed I would start to have issues around 25 weeks because of the big belly. He also told me that lifting my 30lb toddler is not an issue whatsoever. You can lift anything that your body is used to lifting. I don't plan to stop lifting my kid until I physically can't; as in I'm so big that there's nowhere to rest her comfortably. Pregnant women have been lifting previous kids since the beginning of time. Don't worry about it. Hold your toddler.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • imagejeremiahz_momma03:

Well my 2 year old can walk. So I don't have this issue since he's old enough to walk and if you're capable of walking I don't carry around any of my kids. DD is 1 and she walks to so I only carry her when we're going up and down the stairs.

My 21 month old walks everywhere but there are times when it's easier to just carry her for a second than have her walk. We live in Minnesota where it is icy, snowy, and cold so I would rather carry her out to the car than take a chance she will slip on the ice or wait for her little legs to finally get her to where we are going. She also still sits in the front part of the cart when we go to stores, I lift her to put her in there since she can't climb up herself. Although I wouldn't carry her everywhere at this age I find that it's still necessary to carry her sometimes.  

• As PPs have said, unless your Dr tells you not to then there shouldn't be a problem. I still carry DS when I need to, the only change I made was the way I carry him. I carry him on my hip now than carry him in front of me. Carrying him in front of me would push down on my belly and I would have some really painful pressure down there, so I stopped carrying him like that.
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie Third Birthday tickers "You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the one person you can't live without."
  • If you're used to picking up your toddler, there is no harm in continuing to do so.  The exception would be if you are put on light duty or bedrest due to pregnancy complications/preterm labor and are told you can't anymore by your doctor.

I was just told I can no longer pick up my 30 lb. 2 year old, but it's because I'm experiencing preterm labor symptoms and I have been put on partial bedrest.  Up until fine, lifting her has been perfectly ok and doctor-approved. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"