June 2013 Moms

Unpopular Opinions?

I'm still thinking of mine. Someone get it rollin'!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Unpopular Opinions?

• Jinx. ha.

CJ 05/29/2013

• I deleted mine. Lol.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Loading the player...
  • imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:

I deleted mine. Lol.

ZOMG DD  HOW DARE YOU >:O 

• imageLuthien1015:
    imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:

I deleted mine. Lol.

I DO WHAT I WANT!

CJ 05/29/2013

imageLuthien1015:

I deleted mine. Lol.

I DO WHAT I WANT!

This makes me laugh!  Big Smile

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • I'm in, and this might ruffle some feathers. I think that elective ultrasounds to find out the sex of the baby are the biggest waste of money. Is it really that hard to wait 3-4 more weeks to find out the sex at a free scan? Why do you need to pay $75-$100 to do it early? 

My exception to this is if getting an elective scan allows someone to be there that wouldn't be able to at the anatomy scan. Example: deployments 

Also, I think that 3D/4D u/s are creepy, no matter what stage-- and seriously, do they ever actually look like the baby when the baby comes out? My tech did one at my NT scan and it creeped me out a lot. I can't imagine paying for it.  

Norah is here! Born on July 16th, 2009 7lbs 0oz, 19in and PERFECT! My Blog--Baby Steps, Foot Steps, Leaps, Bounds, Milestones
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I posted my UO on Facebook yesterday, and I'm quite happy that none of my friends "unfriended" me. Here goes:

I think too many awesome female roles have been wasted on Anne Hathaway. She has minimal talent and I think she's homely. Her acting is only slightly better than Kristen Stewart's, and she looks like Don Knotts with brown eyes and a wig. Every movie she's ever been in should be re-filmed with Ashley Judd or Natalie Dormer - both of whom are unbelievably beautiful, are marvelous actresses, and they can both sing. I don't like Anne Hathaway.

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

• imageSCBride2007:

I'm in, and this might ruffle some feathers. I think that elective ultrasounds to find out the sex of the baby are the biggest waste of money. Is it really that hard to wait 3-4 more weeks to find out the sex at a free scan? Why do you need to pay $75-$100 to do it early? 

My exception to this is if getting an elective scan allows someone to be there that wouldn't be able to at the anatomy scan. Example: deployments 

Also, I think that 3D/4D u/s are creepy, no matter what stage-- and seriously, do they ever actually look like the baby when the baby comes out? My tech did one at my NT scan and it creeped me out a lot. I can't imagine paying for it.  

I share every single part of this UO - I was just saying all of this to my DH last night.  Yes

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

imageLuthien1015:

I deleted mine. Lol.

I DO WHAT I WANT!

lol at all of this, you dirty, dirty deleter. :p

• imageLuthien1015:
    Photobucket

Is that Loki?

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

• Aww. Loki was supposed to have a quote tree. Alright, that is my UO. The Bump's reply coding sucks. 
  • imageSCBride2007:
    I'm in, and this might ruffle some feathers. I think that elective ultrasounds to find out the sex of the baby are the biggest waste of money. Is it really that hard to wait 34 more weeks to find out the sex at a free scan? Why do you need to pay 75100 to do it early?nbsp;p

Agree. My midwife hates them. She says that most are unregulated and could use higher, untested frequencies to get sharper images. And the "permission slip" some require from your OB? That makes it appear medically necessary to the insurance company, meaning they just might cover your elective peek.

::waddles off soap box::

• imageLuthien1015:
    Aww. Loki was supposed to have a quote tree. Alright, that is my UO. The Bump's reply coding sucks. 

That is not unpopular. Lol.

CJ 05/29/2013

• imageSCBride2007:
    I'm in, and this might ruffle some feathers. I think that elective ultrasounds to find out the sex of the baby are the biggest waste of money. Is it really that hard to wait 34 more weeks to find out the sex at a free scan? Why do you need to pay 75100 to do it early?nbsp;My exception to this is if getting an elective scan allows someone to be there that wouldn't be able to at the anatomy scan. Example: deploymentsnbsp;Also, I think that 3D/4D u/s are creepy, no matter what stage and seriously, do they ever actually look like the baby when the baby comes out? My tech did one at my NT scan and it creeped me out a lot. I can't imagine paying for it. nbsp;
    ITA. Especially with the 3D/4D u/s! They creep my sh!t out big time. MIL wants me to get one so bad, but I'm really hoping they don't do them at my OB!

• imageSCBride2007:

I'm in, and this might ruffle some feathers. I think that elective ultrasounds to find out the sex of the baby are the biggest waste of money. Is it really that hard to wait 3-4 more weeks to find out the sex at a free scan? Why do you need to pay $75-$100 to do it early? 

While I too agree with all of this, I must admit that DH and I almost did a 3D early 16 week ultrasound just for fun. It was only $60 or something like that. But we both decided it was a silly waste of money. However, my ultrasounds at my Drs are definitely not free and much more expensive than that. Thanks to my deductible and my insurance doesn't pay until it is reached. Yay for it being a new year - which means a new deductible as well!

A friend had this done a few weeks ago and they were wrong on the sex! Not to mention, although ultrasound is generally accepted as a safe tool, using ultrasonic waves that potentially can heat cells for over an hour for the hell of it sounds potentially dangerous to me. Plus I just play around with my own ultrasound machine for free every couple of weeks just for a moment to check in. Pretty sure I saw a scrotum last week but we will know for sure on Wednesday.

And definitely not paying for a creepy video of my baby for 250 - yep that is how much my Dr's office charges. It looks like an alien to me! I will wait until he/she is in my arms to video tape thank you very much! 

image image

• imageSCBride2007:
    I'm in, and this might ruffle some feathers. I think that elective ultrasounds to find out the sex of the baby are the biggest waste of money. Is it really that hard to wait 34 more weeks to find out the sex at a free scan? Why do you need to pay 75100 to do it early?

I agree. I was whining yesterday about how I didn't have an ultrasound at my 16w appt and have to wait four more weeks until my a/s, and someone recommended an elective. Perfectly fine rec, but I was later talking with H about how I would never spend the money on an elective. It's silly, and money is not expendable for us. No way.
    imagePregnancy Ticker

I DO WHAT I WANT!

image image

• imageWifeofaComposer:

Is that Loki? 

That is absolutely Loki. 

• I think push presents are stupid. Yes, I will be the one giving birth. Who is the one running around our house, moving and unpacking by himself while he waits on me hand and foot and also works super hard all day at a job that requires hard physical labor? That would be my husband. Does he get a present, too? He is the one who deserves it. 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• imageSouthSideDrea:
    I think 16, 17, 18 weeks is way too early for an A/S

I'll agree with this. My OB wouldn't even consider it until 19 and that is only because I'll be OOT when she'd normally see me at 20 weeks.

CJ 05/29/2013

• imageSouthSideDrea:
    nbsp;ETA: for healthy pregnancies, obviously if there is an issue you are montioring that's not what I'm talking about.

Ditto.

Practice a little patience people. It'll help you in the long run.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.13 Born 6.13.13
    photo 2546f8b6-17f6-4b55-b007-93a547c620b8.jpg

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

imageSouthSideDrea:

I'll agree with this. My OB wouldn't even consider it until 19 and that is only because I'll be OOT when she'd normally see me at 20 weeks.

See, my MW encouraged me to have it at 18 weeks. I've been nervous that it's too early.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My unpopular opinion is i cant stand when people have to get reassurance from strangers. Like name opinions, bedding decor, elective ultrasounds, buying things, ect. I'm pretty sure the only opinions that matters to me is my husbands and mine! If you don't like my name choice, to bad. If you think I should spend my money elsewhere, I think that's funny. Too many questions on here looking for reassurance make me wanna puke, go ask your husband! Do what you want, it's your life your decisions. 
  • imageAmber3535:
    My unpopular opinion is i cant stand when people have to get reassurance from strangers. Like name opinions, bedding decor, elective ultrasounds, buying things, ect. I'm pretty sure the only opinions that matters to me is my husbands and mine! If you don't like my name choice, to bad. If you think I should spend my money elsewhere, I think that's funny. Too many questions on here looking for reassurance make me wanna puke, go ask your husband! Do what you want, it's your life your decisions. 

I kind of agree here. Advice is one thing, and we all need to be reassured every now and then... but are you really going to let a bunch of strangers determine super-important things in your life? Don't get me wrong; you're all great. I just can't picture going home to DH and saying "Yeeeeeah, we're going to have to change the baby's name. Everyone on The Bump said it wasn't their style..." 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• imageSCBride2007:
    I'm in, and this might ruffle some feathers. I think that elective ultrasounds to find out the sex of the baby are the biggest waste of money. Is it really that hard to wait 34 more weeks to find out the sex at a free scan? Why do you need to pay 75100 to do it early?nbsp;My exception to this is if getting an elective scan allows someone to be there that wouldn't be able to at the anatomy scan. Example: deploymentsnbsp;Also, I think that 3D/4D u/s are creepy, no matter what stage and seriously, do they ever actually look like the baby when the baby comes out? My tech did one at my NT scan and it creeped me out a lot. I can't imagine paying for it. nbsp;

I get my ultrasounds done at the hospital that my doctor practices out of and they will not tell you the gender of the baby. The perinatoligist that runs the imaging unit is super unfriendly and barely spreads to you. At my 12 week appointment when I asked if they would tell me the gender at my anamoly scan they said that they don't do the ultrasound to determine gender and if its obvious they will tell you, otherwise you're out of luck. As a result I decided to get an elective one done yesterday, at 15 weeks because I wanted to know what I'm having.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My UO..

While I can appreciate that people struggling with infertility being in a heartbreaking place in their lives, I don't think that gives you the right to treat your friends and family who have been fortunate enough to get pregnant like sh*t. If someone comes to you personally to tell you they are pregnant in a thoughtful way trying to protect your feelings, it's fine to still be upset or frustrated and tell me you need space. I can respect that.

But to talk about me to mutual friends (about how you think I will parent or that I'm too fat to have a healthy pregnancy or how my LO was a whoops), block me on facebook (when I haven't posted ANYTHING about the baby or pregnancy out of respect for YOU) when I have respected your request for space and I haven't attempted contact you and to post a blog (she didn't delete H from facebook, just me, and H showed me the blog) that you don't want to be hurtful to people and alienate them because of your struggles. You're hurtful. You've alienated me. I'm sorry you're going through what you're going through, and I'm praying for you and your H every day, but it is not a free pass to treat me like sh*t.

I apologize for any of you who have struggled while TTC. This is not meant to discount your struggles.

• imageflerlgirl:

imageAmber3535:
    My unpopular opinion is i cant stand when people have to get reassurance from strangers. Like name opinions, bedding decor, elective ultrasounds, buying things, ect. I'm pretty sure the only opinions that matters to me is my husbands and mine! If you don't like my name choice, to bad. If you think I should spend my money elsewhere, I think that's funny. Too many questions on here looking for reassurance make me wanna puke, go ask your husband! Do what you want, it's your life your decisions. 

I kind of agree here. Advice is one thing, and we all need to be reassured every now and then... but are you really going to let a bunch of strangers determine super-important things in your life? Don't get me wrong; you're all great. I just can't picture going home to DH and saying "Yeeeeeah, we're going to have to change the baby's name. Everyone on The Bump said it wasn't their style..." 

Some stuff is for sure needed, I know I've already learned a ton about breastfeeding that i didn't know. I would just never come on here and say, Do you guys think I should breastfeed? Do you guys like this outfit for ds? Do you guys think I should go to sizzler or texas roadhouse tonight? Haha

imageSouthSideDrea:

The earliest my Dr. will schedule one is 21 weeks. If the tech at my hospital needs the extra few weeks to be able to get more accurate measurements, etc. I am more than happy to oblige since that is the actual point of the A/S.

But-- I am not a doctor or ultra-sound tech, so maybe some are very proficient and can do what they need to at 16 or 17 wks.

DS#1 3-28-02 ~ DD 6-15-09 ~ DS#2 5-31-13

• I do not understand all the haters of elective ultrasounds....if you have the cash and feel like looking at your baby for whatever reason....um, why not?

Krys DD#1-6/2002; DD#2-4/2010; SUPRISE BFP 10/19 EDD 6/25/13 BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't understand people who allow others to influence their baby names. While some names are down right terrible, it's your baby. Name it whatever the hell you want. Why do internet strangers affect your life choices? H would look at me like crazy if I was making a name change because "my internet friends said so!", he would get me committed.
  • imageilovemarfa:
    imageSCBride2007:
    I get my ultrasounds done at the hospital that my doctor practices out of and they will not tell you the gender of the baby. The perinatoligist that runs the imaging unit is super unfriendly and barely spreads to you. At my 12 week appointment when I asked if they would tell me the gender at my anamoly scan they said that they don't do the ultrasound to determine gender and if its obvious they will tell you, otherwise you're out of luck. As a result I decided to get an elective one done yesterday, at 15 weeks because I wanted to know what I'm having.

I have never heard of an anatomy scan where they refused to tell you the sex. That doesn't make an ounce of sense. I suppose yours is a special case where it would make sense to do an elective, but I'm still not sure I would have done 15 weeks-- that seems so early for your only sex-determination u/s.  

Norah is here! Born on July 16th, 2009 7lbs 0oz, 19in and PERFECT! My Blog--Baby Steps, Foot Steps, Leaps, Bounds, Milestones
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageflerlgirl:

imageAmber3535:

Do you think that is really happening that often? Sure there are some that struggle with people pleasing and insecurity (and my heart goes out to them), but I think most are just genuinely interested in the experience of others so they can make more informed choices.

**Child and Loss Mentioned**

~~~God's Promises are Good and True! ~~~

Baby boy born 6/3/13 after 13 cycles :)
    Angel Baby Loss November 2018.
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imageSCBride2007:

imageilovemarfa:
    imageSCBride2007:

I have never heard of an anatomy scan where they refused to tell you the sex. That doesn't make an ounce of sense. I suppose yours is a special case where it would make sense to do an elective, but I'm still not sure I would have done 15 weeks-- that seems so early for your only sex-determination u/s.  

This is my second child. I saw another ob up until 22 weeks for my first and they did the ultrasounds in the office and I was told what I was having. They didn't even give me a photo of the ultrasound when I went for my 12 week that is how unfriendly they are. Even my ob and midwife said that the perinatoligist who runs the perinatal testing unit isn't friendly and it rubs off on his staff. If I would have been able to find out at the 20 week scan I would wait but seeing how they are I doubt I would get an answer. I'm not a fan of unnecessary ultrasounds and am
    actually very crunchy, much to my nurse practitioner husbamd's dismay as he is all about medical tests, vaccines, medicine, etc. I also kind of wnted it because I had a lot of bleeding in my first trimester due to a subchorianic hemmoraghe so I wanted to just make sure that the little one was ok. I don't have a personal use Doppler because I would probably overuse it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Well, after reading through this thread, I guess this is my unpopular opinion:

We're having an elective ultrasound tomorrow, and I can not wait. I could give a flying f*** if they can see whether or not baby has a penis, because all I want is to see that little heart beating away. We don't go for our A/S until January 30, which is fine by me, but we really want to have peace of mind so we can finally tell our families we're expecting again. And well, it's $39, and even after having met my deductible last year, I still paid $105 for my early scans after insurance, so the "free" argument blows my mind.

My other unpopular opinion? I hate "grats" ... Seriously, if you can't take the time to tell someone "Congratulations!" why are you even responding? Ha.

photo AlbumsWideColorBump_zps1797df63.jpg

We lost our first (EDD 07/23/12) after finding out at 12 weeks there was no longer a heartbeat. Our rainbow was born 05/22/13 and was worth all we went through.

“So can you understand? Why I want a daughter while I’m still young? I wanna hold her hand and show her some beauty before all this damage is done. But if it’s too much to ask, it’s too much to ask … Then send me a son.” – Arcade Fire
  • imageHisPromisIsTrue:
    imageflerlgirl:

imageAmber3535:

Do you think that is really happening that often? Sure there are some that struggle with people pleasing and insecurity (and my heart goes out to them), but I think most are just genuinely interested in the experience of others so they can make more informed choices.

Yes I do, but I do agree that some things should be asked. Product information, referrals, parenting advice, nursing advice, I even agree that people should ask about topics like  circumcisions and co-sleeping. Its topics like, do you think I should get an elective ultrasound? Even after reading everyone's dislike for them I would still go because that's what my husband and I wanted to do. I wouldn't think twice about what people on the internet say. I've always loved these boards because of the knowledge and the drama. I just have a laugh when people ask these questions. 

• imagesweetbabypea:
    I don't understand people who allow others to influence their baby names. While some names are down right terrible, it's your baby. Name it whatever the hell you want. Why do internet strangers affect your life choices? H would look at me like crazy if I was making a name change because "my internet friends said so!", he would get me committed.

I'm a reg on BNB. I often ask for opinions on names I'm considering because a. I might be wavering and maybe someone will mention something I've already thought of that I didn't like about it, which may solidify my decision to cut it, or b. they may bring up something I didn't even think of- like it is the name of a famous porn star, or rhymes with something awful, or means "sh!t" in another language. That's fine if people don't want opinions, but I would rather know what other people are thinking- it's not about ME, it's about what my future child might go through with a certain name. There's also been times where I was really unsure about which name I liked- I'm indecisive by nature, and when someone said they really loved name #1, it made me realize I didn't agree and was disapointed they hadn't said #2.

::shrug::

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• My unpopular opinion: I hate overly extravagant birthday parties for kids who will not remember the day.  This weekend, DH and I went to a 1-year-old's birthday party.  There were 160 people invited to this extravaganza!  No lie, the kid (well more his mom) opened at least 50 presents.  What is the point of this!!!! I understand that kid's birthday parties can be used to get family and friends together, but it should not be used to recreate your wedding!
    image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
  • imageKacyChicago:
    Well, after reading through this thread, I guess this is my unpopular opinion:We're having an elective ultrasound tomorrow, and I can not wait. I could give a flying f if they can see whether or not baby has a penis, because all I want is to see that little heart beating away. We don't go for our A/S until January 30, which is fine by me, but we really want to have peace of mind so we can finally tell our families we're expecting again. And well, it's 39, and even after having met my deductible last year, I still paid 105 for my early scans after insurance, so the "free" argument blows my mind.My other unpopular opinion? I hate "grats" ... Seriously, if you can't take the time to tell someone "Congratulations!" why are you even responding? Ha.

Amen! That's another huge reason why I got an elective ultrasound. Having bled extensively up until 10 weeks I worry 24/7 about the little one in there. I didn't want to wait 6 weeks between ultrasounds to make sure the baby was still ok. I also pay nearly 100 for an ultrasound copay since we have high copays but pay less each month for our insurance premium.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMeghanKG:
    My UO is that this hospital food is pretty amazing. I just had a veggie burger for lunch and it was one of the best I've had. And there's a Friendly's downstairs. If I get the OK, I'm sending my husband down to get me a Reese's pieces sundae ASAP. Gotta appreciate the little things in an otherwise crappy situation!

I like it too!!!  My poor husband was in the hospital for a few days and I had a few bites of his stuff? it was great!  But I am jealous of your hospital's Friendly's.  Hope you feel better soon so you can capitalize on that! (and so you can just feel better as well).  

image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"