June 2012 Moms

Ear piercing?

Hey ladies, I haven't bumped in a while...hope all is well!

For some reason, it seems that people are very concerned about when and if we will be piecing dd's ears. At every gathering we were at over the holidays, someone asked me when she'll be getting her ears pierced. To be honest, I never gave it a thought.  I got mine pierced when I started kindergarten.  Maybe I'm crazy but I just don't see a point in her getting them pierced anytime soon.

Will you be getting lo's ears pierced? If so, when? 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Ear piercing?

• That is a decision that I am letting my girls make.

When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade I wanted mine pierced so my mom and I made an afternoon out of it. We got them pierced and then she took me out to lunch.

I would love to be able to do the same with my girls.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DD will have her's done when she is old enough to take care of them.  I know in some Hispanic cultures it is cutomary to peirce as a baby so if your friend's are Hispanic it might be way they are asking
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I get this question a lot too. I am not doing it until she asks me and is old enough to care for them herself. I was about 8 when I got them and I think somewhere in there is when I would be ok with P getting them. 

And on top of it who needs an extra task right now! Cleaning new earrings 3 times a day sounds awful :P 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagesnicksnack:
    DD will have her's done when she is old enough to take care of them.  I know in some Hispanic cultures it is cutomary to peirce as a baby so if your friend's are Hispanic it might be way they are asking

No, they aren't Hispanic.  But I never knew that, thanks for sharing!:)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagealizabethanne:

And on top of it who needs an extra task right now! Cleaning new earrings 3 times a day sounds awful :P 

YESSSSS!!!!!

• We plan on using ear piercing as a reward when she's older for things such as good grades, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We actually will be taking lo to get hers done this weekend. I got mine done when I was around 3 mos old. I really have no other reason, I just think it is cute!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • If I had a daughter I would have pierced her ears as a baby.

My family is Italian and my parents had mine and my sister's ears pierced as babies so it's not unusual to me.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I pierced my daughter's ears at 6 months (obviously December 2012). In my culture its done for babies, when a mother can care for the healing process not the child themselves. In addition like immunizations, teeth, circumcisions etc I'd prefer to get the painful treatments done when she's younger. I do understand waiting to make a special day of it. My mom brought me a new pair of earring for every birthday as a child and saved them (some of which I still have and can pass down). When I was old enough to choose it was fun to shop for them with her. But honestly its an ear piercing not picking a college so trust your instincts and make the best decision for your daughter. Feel no pressure from outside influences.

• My mom (a licensed beautician) pieced my ears when I was three. I don't actually remember the experience, but there is a picture someone took where I am screaming in pain...of course that was when they did it with the paddles and not the gun that they use now.

Anyway my ears ended up getting seriously infected, but ended up being fine after 6 months...just my two cents. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm going to wait until she is bigger.  I know that we used it as a reward to get my sister to stop thumb sucking and it worked great.  I figure I'll just hold off and see if I need to use it as a reward for something.  Besides, who knows if pierced ears will still be in style by then.  lol.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• Herein may lie the answer to why so many friends and presumably family too were asking you about having her ears seemingly so soon.

I got my daughters done at around 2 months. There were two main reasons:

First, I asked my pediatrician, and she said the younger the better. They won?t play with them (less infection risk) you can make sure they are cleaned, and it will hurt less when they are younger (less emotional ?pain? or fear). Modern sterile methods with disposable ear piercing earrins make it more desirable and better done as an infant. This is true because mommy is caring for them. How do they really do having it done as babies? Well, she cried just long enough for me to pick her up, and it was over. she is 10 months, and we have never had any issues.

Second, why did I decide to have our dd's ears as an infant vs older? Well, I kept seeing more and more babies and little girls with cute earrings and that pushed me to go ahead. I followed our ped's tips on finding the right place, type of earrings to use and aftercare of newly pierced ears. I took her to Piercing Pagoda and she did fine and looks adorable.

Any moms wanting our ped's suggestions, drop me an e-mail.

amyswor@hotmail.com

• If we had a dd we would for sure wait. The pain reason is a bad excuse imo to get it done now because the guns now a days make it painless....I think getting a shot is more painful! If we have a dd next she can get them done when she's old enough to take care of them herself.
  • thats a rally good question. if i were you id pierce them before she turns 1. Igot my daughters ear pierced after her weekly visit to the peds. she was about 2weeks old. its better to get them done when they're little because there ears arent as thick. i had 3 piercings on each ear by the time i was 5 and i hadnt gotten another piercing till i got the one that goes on the top of the ear at age 13
  • Her body her choice :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"