December 2012 Moms

Where does LO sleep?

My DH and I are having a lot of trouble trying to get LO to sleep in her bassinet, rock n play, crib (essentially anything). The only time she will sleep is if we hold her which has led to me sleeping in our recliner and holding her for our 2 hour napping sessions between feedings. I thought after I had her I'd be able to sleep on my back again but I guess it'll be a while longer. Where does your LO sleep and do you have any advice/suggestions on how to correct this? We love holding her but it would be great to sleep laying completely down.... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Where does LO sleep?

• Do you swaddle? DS was the same way so I remember how hard that was. We eventually got him to sleep in the rock n play at night but all naps were in my lap. And at about 6months he moved into our bed where he stayed till he turned 2.

DD loves sleeping on her own. I think some babies just need the extra comfort. Hang in there! Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• DD sleeps in a "snuggle nest" in our bed between us. She also slept ok in the newborn napper section of the pack n play. The snuggle nest really just gives me more peace of mind. I can feel if she's breathing easier than getting up and looking in the pack and play at night. There is a slight incline to it. We have to swaddle her and let her lean to one side of it sort of facing me for her to sleep. She sleeps inches away from my face and can smell me and hear me breathing. I think it puts her at ease as if I'm holding her but is still sort of enclosed so that it is safer than just having her in the bed with us with nothing guarding her. Here is a link to what it looks like.

https://www.babydelight.com/c/snugglenestsurround
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageilenegrace:

Do you swaddle? DS was the same way so I remember how hard that was. We eventually got him to sleep in the rock n play at night but all naps were in my lap. And at about 6months he moved into our bed where he stayed till he turned 2.

DD loves sleeping on her own. I think some babies just need the extra comfort. Hang in there! Good luck!

We tried swaddling but she seems to hate it and wants her arms free and up by her face. In all of our ultrasounds she always had her hands by her face so I don't know if it's because this is what she's used to or if all newborns like to have their arms free. She sleeps better with just a blanket lightly wrapped around her. 

• DD sleeps in the rock and play in the living room. I hate that she's not sleeping flat, but she throws up when she is flat in the bassinet. O ce her room is done we will tradition her to the crib. I'm hoping he throw up issues will be better by then. DS was always swaddled in the crib and he slept great.
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Our little guy sleeps in bed with us. It was a habit I never wanted to start but I really do love it now. Plus he sleeps 4-6 hour stretches so it's really hard to want to mess that up now. The only hard part is that is the only way he'll take naps too (other than one of us just holding him)

We got him to nap for 20 minutes in his bassinet today before he woke up. So I guess we'll just keep trying!

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our LO sleeps in a Leachco podster pillow thing I bought off Amazon. We put the pillow in the bassinet beside our bed and set him in it. It's the only thing he'll sleep in for longer than 20 minutes (besides somebody's arms) - he hates laying flat right now. He'll tolerate swaddling if his arms are left out (he likes his hands by his face, too) but it doesn't really make much of a difference in how well he sleeps. The design of the pillow helps him feel cocooned, I think.
  • Our LO sleeps in the newborn napper part of her pack n' play in our bedroom. She does really well in it and sleeps for anywhere between 4-6 hours straight. I suspect she likes it because it vibrates and she has been in love with her bouncer chair since we started putting her in it. I just hope she will sleep in crib at some point without the vibrating. 

Other then swaddling without her hands wrap up I can't give you much advice. I know when we do swaddle the LO we do not wrap her hands up because she likes them close to her face just like your LO. Good luck!

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • My DD only will sleep on our chest during the night right now . We too had/have a hard time getting her comfortable at night. She sleeps fine during the day though no matter where she is. We found she like noise when sleeping . She likes to be swaddled at night ,loves Baby Mozart durint day .

My dr suggested putting her down on a blanket that she was held in so its warm and when she is just starting to get drowsy . While another dr suggested putting her down only when she is in deep sleep.  We didnt want to sleep with her for safety reasons but its the only thing that works right now . My SIL says her son outgrew this stage so thats what Im hoping for too.

• My DS is still like this to an extent, but we were finally able to sleep all at the same time (and at night, may I add) when we got a RnP. We usually wait until he is in his deepest part of sleep (usually 30 minutes to an hour after he falls asleep) and then place him in the RnP.

Swaddling might help, but I know not all babies like that (my DS hates it; he always busts out and now sleeps in just a warm pair of jammies and a blanket placed really low on his body so he can't pull it up). Also, when you place her down in wherever you want her to sleep, keep your hands on her for a few seconds after she is completely flat. It's supposed to trick them into thinking they are still in your arms. Another thing is to place a heating pad in the bassinet and then take it out right before you lay her down. Some babies don't like the cold sheets.

GL to you! Hopefully you (and me!) get to sleep in the bed soon!

Damon & Alaric Icon Pictures, Images and PhotosCute icon Pictures, Images and PhotosDaisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our LO is 5 weeks old and sleeps in her room in her crib. She has been in their since week 2 and seemed to do WAY better in there than in her bassinet.
  • IMHO, it's all about survival the first few weeks. Sleep, in any way shape or form is okay! I am a firm believer that these first few weeks are the exception to the rule. I did what I'm doing w/my other two girls and now, at nearly 3 and almost 5 they are AWESOME nappers & sleepers. 

Right now DD sleeps next to me, DH is out of the room as he's terrified he'll roll over onto her, so Margo & I have the bed to ourselves. I tried the PnP but she didn't sleep more than 20 minutes. I tried the rock & play, but only got an hour. 

During the day, she rotates from the swing (which she is currently napping in now) to the bouncy seat, the rock & play, and either of our arms.

I hope to try the PnP again tomorrow night to see if she'll give me the same amount of sleep she has given me in the bed the past two nights. (She slept 4.5 hours and so did I- woo hoo!)  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • DS will nap all day in his moses basket, but at night he seems to need to sleep on my chest or right beside me.  He has to be on the outside (with the bassinet blocking him from falling off the bed) because my partner is a very heavy sleeper and I worry he'll suffocate him.  I'd love for him to sleep in the bassinet, but I'd rather get some actual sleep than not... so I don't pick that battle!
    m/c 12/20/09 @ 5 1/2 weeks ~ CP 1/25/09 @ 4 weeks ~ missed m/c 4/6/10 (stopped growing @ 6 weeks, stayed with me until 10) ~Foster parent to B, 9/10-1/12~ Proud Mother of Gage Stephen, born 12/26/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagespencermaegan:
    imageilenegrace:

Do you swaddle? DS was the same way so I remember how hard that was. We eventually got him to sleep in the rock n play at night but all naps were in my lap. And at about 6months he moved into our bed where he stayed till he turned 2.

We tried swaddling but she seems to hate it and wants her arms free and up by her face. In all of our ultrasounds she always had her hands by her face so I don't know if it's because this is what she's used to or if all newborns like to have their arms free. She sleeps better with just a blanket lightly wrapped around her. 

Our LO likes his hands by his face too, and was often seen that way in u/s. We swaddle him, but leave his arms bent and the top of the swaddle looser, so he can get them up by his mouth. It's been working great so far.

Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

• DD is way too squirmy for swaddling, I do have a swaddler blanket thing with velcro i have on her right now for the first time though. She prefers to be held to sleep. I can get her to sleep in her swing, car seat, crib for maybe 30 minutes at a time, some times an hour if I'm lucky. At night I try to get her to sleep in her bassinet, but she has to be able to touch me and snuggle up to me. So that lasts all of a few minutes. As of now she is in bed with us at night because DH almost hit a tree from lack of sleep and it isn't worth the no sleep. DS slept in our bed until he was a few months old, by 6m he was exclusively in his room. I didn't want to do that again because I never get a good nights sleep that way, but if she sleeps better, I at least get some sleep. I either have her next to me, but not in between me and dh, on the mattress or if I am facing dh she is sort of up on my shoulder arm area on her back or side. I am trying to get her used to her crib more because I can't get anything done and I feel bad for DS, I have to be all like "sorry kid I can't get up and get you lunch because I have to sit still while holding your sister for 2 hours so she can nap." I am hoping the swaddler thingy I have on her right now helps her in her own bed. I think another big thing is in our room we have an old mattress so it makes noise whenever you move, she can hear that you are there and dang it why aren't we holding her if we are right there.

imageimageimage
  • We bed share & have with all of ours
    8 month cutie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Swaddled up tight in her crib since day one.  Perhaps try a good swaddle (get those arms down by her side) and try LO in their own spot.  You need to sleep!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"