Multiples

Clomid and Multiples??

Hello everyone!  Congratulations to all of you who are pregnant and expecting multiples!  I wish you all healthy pregnancies with healthy babies at the end.  I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought I would start here.  

I just got my positive pregnancy test on Christmas morning.  I was shocked and thrilled.  This was my second round of Clomid 50mg.  When I went in for my day 12 (Monday) ultrasound I had 4 follicles, possibly 5 that would be mature for ovulation.  My RE triggered my that day at noon.  He told me not to have unprotected intercourse for the rest of that week.  I was incredibly disappointed, but knew that I should listen to him.  Well, on days 10 and 11 (Saturday and Sunday), DH and I BD'd.  Of course, this was before we knew about the multiple follicles.  The month before on 50mg I only had one, so I thought it would be the same this month.  I told my doctor that we had BD'd the two days before.  He didn't seem too concerned.  So, I had completely written this month off.

Last week my period was nowhere in sight so I took a test and sure enough it was positive.  I am slightly freaking out now, one week later.  I am so happy and thankful to be pregnant, but am terrified that there could be several embryos that implanted!  Any advice or words of encouragement??  I really need it.  I get my HCG levels done in two days and an ultrasound in 9 days.

Thanks for reading :) 

Me(30) DH(31) TTC 2yrs, All test results normal, Clomid 50mg#1 - BFN, Clomid 50mg#2 - BFP! Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Clomid and Multiples??

• Hi
    Our soon to arrive twins are a result of 100mg if clomid and timed intercourse. We BD'd on days 15 and 16 after the ovidrel trigger and also had 4 mature follies. I won't lie our RE was a tad worried we had triplets based off my betas but it ended up being twins! You can't really do much about it m
    TTC #1 Since January 2011 Dx: PCOS and Anovulatory April 2012 BFP! Beta 1 5/22 - 1,000+ Beta 2 5/24 - 3,009 1st u/s 6/5 - TWINS!!! A/S Reveals we are Team PURPLE!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image  12/27 - surprise BFP - due August 2014
  • Hi
    Our soon to arrive twins are a result of 100mg if clomid and timed intercourse. We BD'd on days 15 and 16 after the ovidrel trigger and also had 4 mature follies. I won't lie our RE was a tad worried we had triplets based off my betas but it ended up being twins! You can't really do much about it now but congrats on being pregnant and best wishes. Can't wait to hear about your first ultrasound!
    TTC #1 Since January 2011 Dx: PCOS and Anovulatory April 2012 BFP! Beta 1 5/22 - 1,000+ Beta 2 5/24 - 3,009 1st u/s 6/5 - TWINS!!! A/S Reveals we are Team PURPLE!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image  12/27 - surprise BFP - due August 2014
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats on your BFP!! The twin girls I'm expecting are a result of 50mg clomid, trigger and IUI. I had three mature follies and two of them took. What ever happens you will be ok. Betas can't really tell much but the scan is what will tell you everything of course. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you come back to tell us what they discover on your scan. 

Again congrats!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was on 50mg of Clomid and during my second round we got pregnant. My husband and I found out on Dec 19th that we are having twins! Super excited but a little overwhelmed. Whatever will be, will be. Anyway, best of luck during your first exam :
  • I had 3 cycles at 50mg and then a cycle at 100mg where I showed 2 follicles and got a bfp with di/di twins. all you can do is wait for your u/s at this point. Congrats!
  • Two rounds of 50mg here. Twins in June if your mobil. I however am the only one out of a handful of friends who did Clomid that ended up with multiples. I however was very taboo and didn't have a monitored cycle and have no idea about follies or triggors. We BD every day between 11-20.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We just confirmed this morning that we're having twins after 50 mg of Clomid, trigger and IUI.  We also had 3 follies, two implanted.  We had done one prior cycle of Clomid with timed BD, didn't wait until the ultrasound to look at follies and wound up with 8 follies and later with ovarian hyperstimulation - lucky not to have gotten pregnant that month!  Just hoping for healthy babies.  Good luck!

• imageCorleyrae:
    Two rounds of 50mg here. Twins in June if your mobil. I however am the only one out of a handful of friends who did Clomid that ended up with multiples. I however was very taboo and didn't have a monitored cycle and have no idea about follies or triggors. We BD every day between 1120.

I was also unmonitored, we ended up with four, I am now carrying twins. It's been a long hard road. I wish you the best. Keep us posted.
    TTC 10/2010 DX with PCOS 01/2012 Metformin 05/12. Clomid 07/12 50mg- Bust,no response. 8/12 100mg 0 on CD20=BFP. 9/24-56 9/26-125 10/1-2100 B/G Twins, EDD 05/2013 "It's funny they give you a drug to help get you pregnant, but it makes me not want to have sex with you" -DH. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My oldest is from 100mg of clomid just one not sure how many follicles. I had 3 follicles and for pg with 1 on 150mg but lost that pregnancy. My triplets are from menpuir and trigger with TI but I had 1 mature follicle and 3 more grew fast leading me to quids one we lost. 

Good luck on your pregnancy. And your u/s  

• I wasn't on clomid but injectible and had 3 follicles. Only 1 took and split! Try to be happy that you are pregnant!
  • I was on 100mg of clomid, injectable hormones, trigger plus timed intercourse.  We had 4 follicles, three fertilized and two survived.  Don't be surprised and try not to disappointed if its multiples...that's the risk we take with using that drug.  It's ok to freak if it turns out to be more, but be happy you got pregnant and hope for beautiful healthy babies.  GL! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I got pregnant from twins with IVF but when I previously took clomid my dr always warned me that if I take more than 1 mature follicle there was a chance for multiples. Congrats on being pregnant and don't worry if you end up with more than one. 
    Photobucket TTC since 1999. Unexplained Infertility. IUI#1 Oct. 12/11 - BFN IUI#2 - Nov 8 - Failed
    IUI#3 - Jan 6 IVF#1 -5/18 - stims start (225 gonal f, 75 menopur, 5 lupron) ER 5/29 - 14R, 11M, 7F. 6/1 - Transferred 2 8cell embryos (grade 1 and 2). 8dp3dt +HPT, Beta#1 - 92, Beta #2 - 174, Beta#3 - 614, Beta#4 - 2010. 6wk u/s - TWINS! Baby A 114bpm, Baby B 112 bpm Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congrats on your BFP!  Obviously, there is an increased risk of multiples with clomid and hopefully your RE warned you of that before you started taking it.  I am actually extremely surprised he triggered you on cd12 knowing that you had sex on cd11.

Unfortunately in your situation there is no way to know how many of those follies were fertilized until your u/s and I think it is totally normal to be scared in your situation.  What was your diagnosis and does your DH have any MFI issues?  Depending on those factors your risk of HOM could be decreased.  Good luck!

DX: Anovulation
    TX: IUI #1-4 = BFN + 1 c/p
    IUI #5: Clomid 100mg + Bravelle + Trigger + B2B IUIs + 800mg Progesterone = BFP!
    Beta #1 (14dpiui): 460 Beta #2 (16dpiui): 998 Beta #3 (23dpiui): 21,832 Beta #4 (29dpiui): 129,771

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Well, good luck whatever the outcome.  My twins are from 1 cycle of 50mg Clomid.  There's really nothing right now that will tell anyone how many you're carrying.  This pg is a result of IVF (I'm a gestational carrier), my BETA each draw was higher than even twin pg BETA's based on the info on betabase.info and I'm just carrying 1 healthy baby, so even your BETA isn't much of a clue.  Thankfully with today's technology you'll find out in a little over a week.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • We got pregnant with our twins on our second round with 100mg of Clomid and timed intercourse. But like a previous poster said, I have quite a few friends and family who've had to use Clomid and I'm the only one whose ended up with multiples so far. Just try to focus on being pregnant and your excitement about that. Good luck and keep us updated. 

DSC_0011MOD
    Married since June 2010
    TTC #1 since 04/2011
    3 abnormal PAPs and 2 colpo/biopsy since 09/2009
    LEEP 05/2011
    ASCUS PAP 08/2011 which means no PAP for 6 months!! YAY!!
    BFP 11/6/11!! EDD: 7/15/12
    1st u/s 11/21/11: TWINS!
    16 wks 1/30/12: BOY and GIRL!
    Schedualed c-section for 7/2/12 38wks 1day
    Went into labor 6/25/12 37wks 1day. Delivered two healthy babies
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • A progesterone level is a good estimate as to how many ovulated.  My RE always said 50 for each follicle.  So you can guesstimate what number ovulated.  You won't know anything official until an ultrasound.

I was unmonitored on 50 mg clomid.  I had twins.  My progesterone level was 110 with my first beta.

Good good luck.

ETA: FWIW, any embryo only has about a 20% chance of implantation for any given situation. Even if you had more than one egg fertilize, just remember the success rate for each is only about 20%. 

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • You are all really wonderful for posting on this thread.  I really appreciate it.  Twins are okay but more than that scare me just for fear of their health and mine.  I appreciate all of the encouragement.  I am so happy that I am pregnant and am listening to the advice to focus on that.  You are absolutely right.  I just had a freak out yesterday.  I don't know where it came from.  I will sit tight until my scan next week and think positive thoughts.  

We do not have any MFI.  I was ovulating on my own, but after two years we were not falling pregnant.  There were some signs that my ovulation was not "strong" enough, so that is why my RE started me on Clomid 50mg.  I needed a "boost."  Well, I certainly got one!

I will check back in once I get my beta and scan.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! 

Me(30) DH(31) TTC 2yrs, All test results normal, Clomid 50mg#1 - BFN, Clomid 50mg#2 - BFP! Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageLesleyW652:
    I was on 50mg of Clomid and during my second round we got pregnant. My husband and I found out on Dec 19th that we are having twins! Super excited but a little overwhelmed. Whatever will be, will be. Anyway, best of luck during your first exam :

Me, too. I wasn't being monitored though (didn't know at the time I should be) so I have no idea how many mature follies I had, no betas done, etc. I had my first appt at 7w but my first u/s not till 12w and that's when we found out we were having twins. I hope you have a healthy pregnancy; KUP!

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • imageVenti29:
    imageCorleyrae:
    Two rounds of 50mg here. Twins in June if your mobil. I however am the only one out of a handful of friends who did Clomid that ended up with multiples. I however was very taboo and didn't have a monitored cycle and have no idea about follies or triggors. We BD every day between 1120.
    I was also unmonitored, we ended up with four, I am now carrying twins. It's been a long hard road. I wish you the best. Keep us posted.

I also did an unmonitored cycle, 100 mg of Clomid and one IUI timed with OPK. Our issues were male factor and we were using donor sperm. I started out with four and ended up delivering two. To echo Venti29, the first trimester was the hardest twelve weeks of my entire life. All the best to you. 

• Congrats on your pregnancy!

I just want to say that i am a little put off by the fact you came to a Multiples board to say that you are terrified it's multiples.   I know you are not trying to be mean.

I would maybe post on 1st or 2nd tri and ask who took clomid and IF it turned out to be multiples.  That would give you a more accurate response.

Good luck!

image image
                      Ayden & Sydney

• imageJustcallmeGG2:

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I just want to say that i am a little put off by the fact you came to a Multiples board to say that you are terrified it's multiples.   I know you are not trying to be mean.

I would maybe post on 1st or 2nd tri and ask who took clomid and IF it turned out to be multiples.  That would give you a more accurate response.

Good luck!

*I really don't mean this in a snarky way, but you're offended because she's terrified of multiples?  I would have to guess that most of us were freaking out when we found out we were expecting more than 1 baby.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • imageMama-Bear:
    imageJustcallmeGG2:

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Good luck!

*I really don't mean this in a snarky way, but you're offended because she's terrified of multiples?  I would have to guess that most of us were freaking out when we found out we were expecting more than 1 baby.

maybe i wasn't because it wasn't a shocker to me since i was doing fertility drugs as well,  i knew the odds.   By I understand most people hope it doesnt happen to them.

image image
                      Ayden & Sydney

• any update??

Proud Mommy to: Boy-1995/Boy-1998/Girl-2003/Boy-2004/Girl-2011/ Fraternal twin girls-2013  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I agree, most are scared with just one.  I always giggle at those "Pregnant and Scared?" boards, when I drive by I think Who wouldn't be?  I feel like it would almost be arrogant not to be a little scared
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"