February 2013 Moms

Infant CPR Class

I know I should take one before the baby gets here, but it kept slipping my mind to sign up for one and now the only ones left are either super-inconvenient or completely not doable.  Then I noticed one place that offers the class stipulate that, due to the nature of the material and the need to concentrate, "babies are not allowed in class."  So do people tend to take it after they have their baby?  I know better safe than sorry, and I would prefer to do it before the baby comes and will do it if it is super-crucial...but is it crucial right away?  Advice?

Re: Infant CPR Class

• I took mine after DD was here. DH watched her for the day, but it wouldn't have been an issue with the instructors if I had wanted to bring her. It explicitly stated that babies were welcome - I just didn't want to miss too much because of having to go out of the room with her if she started crying.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• We took it a couple weeks ago, but there was a couple in the class whose LO came a few weeks early, and the class was their first night away from baby. I think taking it at at point is better than not taking it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Our infant CPR class is coupled with a couple of other infant related classes like infant massage and stuff so we will take it after LO is here.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH and I took one on base months and months ago - I'll probably attend the next one as well for a referesher. DH was adamant about being there, because he wanted to be able to take care of things too if something went wrong (and being military, his official certification was free, the lucky duck!). I would think no matter when you take it, it's better than not taking one at all. It's better to have that knowledge at some point. And I would think the higher choking risk comes a bit later, especially once they start solids or get mobile - not that knowing CPR isn't helpful from the start!

Archer Liam - 2/6/13
    Freya Lillian - 11/15/15
  • I didn't take mine until after DS was born but that was because I was pregnant and couldn't. That being said I have to have a full class for healthcare workers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"