Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How long between feedings?

At what point do you begin feeding every 3 hours? Or is it baby led? I have a 9 day old and last night and today she started going closer to 2.53 hrs btwn feedings. Is that ok or should I still wake her at 2?

Re: How long between feedings?

• DD2 is going to be 4 months tomorrow and she still eats every 2 hours and is EBF. Once in a while she will go 3 hours so I follow her cue but for the most part, it's every 2 hours. I think a lot of babies stick to this schedule for quite some time.

If she has reached her birth weight, I would wait until the 3 hour mark before waking her up. 

ETA: She is STTN. Before she started STTN though I did not wake her to eat at night since she had reached her birth weight before we left the Hospital. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I believe the guideline is don't let them sleep longer than 3 hours between feedings until they reach their birth weight. After that, I believe it's baby led. Our LO is almost 3 weeks old and rarely goes longer than 3 hours without waking himself up to let us know it's time to eat. Sometimes he'll only go 2 hours. Last night he went about 4 hours before he woke up to eat. He's healthy, so I let him tell me when he's hungry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • This time around doc told us to go completely baby led... Which has been about every 2 hours during the day, and up to 6 hours at night....

With DD we were told to wake her every 3 because she was so tiny.
    and i thought i loved you then <3<a href="http://daisypath.com/">Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Missed Miscarriage discovered at 9w6d
    D&E 10.27.2011
    I'll love you forever Baby Speck Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You don't need to wake her unless she's not gaining weight or something. Even in the hospital they recommend up to 3 hours. Once your LO is back the birth weight (which she may already be) you don't need to wake her at all, even past 3 hours.

• I still wake her every 2-3 hours during the day, but I let her go as long as she wants at night since she regained her birth weight.
  • Our Pedi said to let him go through the night if he would once he was up to birth weight, which has only ever been up to 6 hours. Aside from that, I'll let him go up to 4 hours during the day, but not past that really. He's gaining weight well, so I'm not worried.
    EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • imageMeaganG11:
    I believe the guideline is don't let them sleep longer than 3 hours between feedings until they reach their birth weight. After that, I believe it's baby led. Our LO is almost 3 weeks old and rarely goes longer than 3 hours without waking himself up to let us know it's time to eat. Sometimes he'll only go 2 hours. Last night he went about 4 hours before he woke up to eat. He's healthy, so I let him tell me when he's hungry.

This is us, exactly, only we were told no longer than four hours between feedings. But she usually wakes up  after about three, anyway.

We aren't bothering with schedules yet. DD is almost three weeks and just went through her two week growth spurt. If we'd been on a schedule this early, it would've been completely shot to helI because she was eating every 45 min to an hour.  All her feedings now are led by her. I try to anticipate bedtime at night and feed her before she cues to kind of get her in the mood for sleep. Last night it worked great. But on the nights she cluster feeds, forget it. No amount of anticipatory feeds will help with that!

• Ditto pretty much what everyone else has mentioned :)

LO goes 2-3 hours between feedings during the day. At night, he goes 4-5 hours between feedings. Whenever he is hungry, we feed him. I rarely have to wake him during the day to feed him, because he lets us know :)

08.2008 | Diagnosed with PCOS
    11.2011 | First appointment with RE
    12.2011 | HSG reveals 100% blockages in both tubes
    02.2012 | Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy to unblock tubes...success!

{ BFP # 1 | April 1, 2012 }
    Jonah Alexander is here! Born 12.07.12 @ 39w3d

{ BFP # 2 | May 22, 2013 }
    Chemical Pregnancy :(

{ BFP # 3 | February 12, 2014 }
    So far, so good! We love you, little peanut!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I met with a LC and she told me 4 hours at night is fine. I feed her every 2-3 hours during the day.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They say as long as she has hit her birth weight you can start making it baby led. We had to feed DS every 3 hours from the beginning because he wouldn't latch any longer than 5 or 10 minutes if we didn't wait that long, but we fed him every 2-3 hours when he showed he was hungry until his one month visit when his doctor told us we could push it to 4-5 hours and 6 at night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started Dating 03/04/2007 ~ Got Engaged 04/23/2010 ~ Said "I Do" 03/19/2011

Started TTC #1 11/2011 ~ BFP #1 03/28/2012-EDD 12/02/2012 ~

Greyson was Born by Unplanned C-Section on 11/20/2012 @ 8lbs 9oz 21 inhces

Started TTC #2 07/2013 ~ BFP #2 10/11/2013-EDD based on growth is June 26th

Liam born by Repeat C-Section on June 20, 2014 @ 8lbs 2oz 20.75 inches

• As others have said, as long as she is at her Birth Weight, I would let her guide you as to how often she is fed. I can't quite remember when my LO went from 2 hours to 3 hours, but it seems like she was about 3 weeks old, but every baby is different!
  • U are on her time let your baby sleep and eat whenever they want my 8 day old is doing wonderful this is my 3rd but 1st girl she sleeps when she need to and it's natural because they will wake up when it's time to eat I usual will sneak and change a pamper or 2 without waking her up before she blows it up but get as much sleep as u can especially if u are breastfeeding. 3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"