Baby Names

WDYT of Agnes?

Agnes was my great-grandmother's name. My entire life, I thought it sounded so ugly and old-fashioned (kind of like Agatha, JMO) but it seems to be becoming more stylish lately.

What do you guys think about it? DH is not a fan - which I think is funny because he loves Eloise, and I think the two would be such a cute sibset!

Anniversary
Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!

Re: WDYT of Agnes?

• I think it is terrible, sorry. There are many beautiful old-fashioned names, but to me, Agnes isn't one of them. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Agnes is a name in my family also, my great grandmother was Celia Agnes and her mother was Agnes, and I WANT to love it but for some reason I think of beef, Angus beef or haggis or a cat's name, I do not know why, I have a sister who's name is Eloise and her nickname is Ellie. Good luck.
    Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013
  • Loading the player...
  • I really like it

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't like it.  Sounds harsh.  Much prefer Eloise which sounds more feminine.
    BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm on the fence with this one. Sometimes I feel it crosses the old lady line into dusty, smelly old lady. Other times, I think it has a kind of sweet charm to it. 

I think if it had a cute nn to go with it, I would feel the love a lot more often.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I just want to give you a world as beautiful as you are to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Personally, I don't like it. You could honor her with a nn "Aggie". Just an idea! HTH! Btw I like Eloise too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Love it! :)

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• I don't know about nicknames, actually. I think Agnes is kind of sophisticated on its own. I actually really dislike the nn Aggie - my name is Maggie, too, so that'd be confusing. Nessie is kind of cute, but it reminds me of the Loch Ness monster...

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • It reminds me of old people and sounds a little harsh for a baby/small child.  I think it would make a nice middle name since it has family meaning.
    TTC since June 2012
  • I really dislike it, it sounds ugly to me.
  • imageMrsG0074:
    It reminds me of old people and sounds a little harsh for a baby/small child.  I think it would make a nice middle name since it has family meaning.

I agree. 

TTGP March Siggy Challenge
  • I don't like it at all. Since it has family significance, using it as a MN would be fine, but I really dislike it for a FN.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Really dislike Agnes, but I think Eloise is beautiful.
    E 03.10
    H 11.11
    C 08.13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I want to like it but I don't, sorry.
    imageimage
  • I agree that it sounds dignified (but I love nn Aggie, too).

I think it would sound lovely in a double name like Mary Agnes.

• I like the old fashion names some are really beautiful. I like the name personally I think of Agnes von kurowsky from the Ernest Hemingway's Farewell to Arms
    Me: 31 DH: 33 Married : 12 Years going on 16 years together TTC since 9/2001 11/2012 100 MG Clomid 12/2012 200 MG Clomid: IUI 12/26 2 Week Wait Praying for a miracle
  • I love the name Agnes.  DH hates "old lady names"  and would never be on board with it. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• I find it ugly and old fashioned like Agatha Smile

I agree with you that it's making something of a comeback, though, and perhaps my opinion will eventually change. 

LOVE Eloise! 

• I actually like Agatha better (makes me think of Agatha Christie), but both are nms.
  • I'm in the same boat, it was my g-g-ma's name too and only in the past few years have I fallen in love with it. DH doesn't hate it, but I don't think he really likes it enough to use it. We'll see. :)
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I really don't like it. I think it's because Hollywood uses it as a fat girl name . I know that's terrible to connect it with, but it's what pops in my head.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• imageMrsJ723:
    I think it is terrible, sorry. There are many beautiful old-fashioned names, but to me, Agnes isn't one of them. 

This, sorry. There are some lovely older classic names, but Agnes does absolutely nothing for me.

P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • I like both Agnes and Agatha.
    TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really love Agnes but DH hates it! I think it's a very polarizing name.

• imageramy3695:
    Also it reminds me of the little girl in Despicable Me. It's so fluffy I could die!!! I also loved the other girls' names, Margot and Edith.

I love everything about that movie.

I used to think Agnes was old fashioned as well, but when you say Agnes now, I imagine an Scandinavian, blonde, cutting edge musician/model. I don't know if that's what I'd want for my child though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageEmmakins87:

Agnes is a name in my family also, my great grandmother was Celia Agnes and her mother was Agnes, and I WANT to love it but for some reason I think of beef, Angus beef or haggis or a cat's name, I do not know why, I have a sister who's name is Eloise and her nickname is Ellie. Good luck.

So this,  It is my Grandma's name and DH's Grandma, but I will not even be giving it as a middle name.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagekayjay10:
    I don't like it.nbsp; Sounds harsh.nbsp; Much prefer Eloise which sounds more feminine.

I agree!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• I like that you want to use family names, but I do not like it.  I'm sorry!

Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
  • imageEmmakins87:

Agnes is a name in my family also, my great grandmother was Celia Agnes and her mother was Agnes, and I WANT to love it but for some reason I think of beef, Angus beef or haggis or a cat's name, I do not know why, I have a sister who's name is Eloise and her nickname is Ellie. Good luck.

I am inlove with Celia Agnes. MH is a fan of Agnes but not Celia. I'm getting creative though and throwing out awful baby names so when I bring back names like Celia he'll be more on board. Wish me luck ;)

OP - I didn't like Agnes when I was young but now I adore it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"