Baby Names

Thomasina, NN Tamsin

I was reading Beatrix Potter (I love children's books) and came across the name Thomasina, a feminine form of Thomas. When I looked it up, I found that it had the nickname Tamsin.

I sort of fell in love with both these names, and if I were to use it, I'd give a daughter the full name and just call her by the nickname. What do you ladies think? I haven't heard this name much at all, but it's got a lot of "old lady name" charm.

Re: Thomasina, NN Tamsin

• When I was abroad last week I heard the name used for a small girl (sat in front of me on the plane) and they used the nicknames Thomas and Tommy for her. I liked the Tommy nn. 

Tamsin doesn't do it for me (I don't dislike it, just don't love either), but if you like it then do it! 

• The m and s in Tamsin just don't work for my American English tongue.  It feels ultra awkward.

I like old lady names and Thomasina is nice. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I like Tamsin but Thomasina is a bit much for me.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I love Thomasina, but not the nn.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageshellylovelee:

The m and s in Tamsin just don't work for my American English tongue.  It feels ultra awkward.

I like old lady names and Thomasina is nice. 

I believe Tamsin is pronounced Tam-Zin, that may help a little.

OP, I would go for it.

• I'm indifferent to both .... Thomasina seems a lil cumbersome to me ... and like you really wanted a boy ... lol.  Tamsin ... I'm just not sure at all!  :)

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• imageaessary03:
    I'm indifferent to both .... Thomasina seems a lil cumbersome to me ... and like you really wanted a boy ... lol.

My thoughts exactly! I'm not a fan.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I actually really like Tamsin, it's kind of a GP.  I don't care for Thomasina, but I don't think it's any different than other boy names that have a legit feminine form.  I like Josephine, for example.  I think I'd just use Tamsin.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • When I hear Thomasina all I can think about is the cat in the book of the same name. 

*shrug*  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• I like it. :)

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• Not a fan of Thomasina. It's just...too much.

I like Tamsin though.

Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • I haven't heard Tamsin in a long time. My brother was friends with a Tamsin, she was pretty spunky. It made the name less old lady for me.
  • imageaustenreader85:
    I actually really like Tamsin, it's kind of a GP.  I don't care for Thomasina, but I don't think it's any different than other boy names that have a legit feminine form.  I like Josephine, for example.  I think I'd just use Tamsin.

Exactly. I'd probably just use Tamsin-I think it can stand on its own as a name (not super nicky-namey sounding).

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I really like Tamsin and I'd just use that. It has a long history as a given name. I'm an historian working on the 17th and 18th centuries and there were plenty of women just named Tamsin.
  • I have a friend from high school named Tomasina. She uses Tami or Tomi as a nickname. Tamsin is new to me, and I'm not really a fan, but if you love it, that's what matters. And the Tomasina I know is a beautiful, wonderful person, not an old lady... So I don't think I it as an old lady name.
  • imageaessary03:

I'm indifferent to both .... Thomasina seems a lil cumbersome to me ... and like you really wanted a boy ... lol.  Tamsin ... I'm just not sure at all!  :)

This 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTGP March Siggy Challenge
  • Thomasina is NMS, but I wouldn't side-eye it. I love Tamsin.
  • I know a 14 year old girl named Thomasina. Her parents and everyone calls her Tommers. I really like that NN.
  • While I totally get that Thomasina is a legit name, it looks and feels to me like a stretch for Thomas. I don't know why, that's just hot I feel about it - like you can get a female variant out of a lot of names, but Thomas isn't one. While Tamsin isn't my style, I prefer it over Thomasina. I didn't realize that's where it came from, though, and would have assumed it's made up.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • I'm confused on how Thomasina becomes Tamsin...I'd just use Tamsin as as stand alone name.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • "I'm confused on how Thomasina becomes Tamsin...I'd just use Tamsin as as stand alone name."

This. I met a Tamsin in college. It suited her and I like the name a lot. I haven't heard it before or since then.
    TTC since June 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"