Babies: 0 - 3 Months

anyone take fenugreek?

My supply isn't THAT low, but I work 30 hours a week, 68 hour shifts. I'll pump once during my shift and once when I get home and that will get me enough milk to last the next shift I have, but a few times I come a few ounces short and DH has had to feed him a little formula which I HATE because I nurse him when I'm not at work

I've tried pumping first thing in the morning and the most I've gotten was 2 oz, which have supplied enough for my longer shifts but then I have to catch up...

Wondering if anyone takes fenugreek and id it'd be worth a try so I van maintain a better supply for my little man. My biggest concern is if it affects the quality of the milk?

Thanks ladies
-KB

Re: anyone take fenugreek?

• fenugreek is 100% natural and safe to take, and it won't effect the quality of your milk. Just the supply. =) Check out the Breastfeeding board for more answers, but give it a shot! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh I didn't know there was a bf board! Hehe

What you said helped but I'll post there too, thanks so much!!
    -KB
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't mean to discourage you, but I am trying to take fenugreek but I really don't like it.  It makes me sweaty and makes me smell like maple syrup!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I took and still take fenugreek. It 100 works. It will tale 35 days to start showing results. It has boosted my pump sessions by an ounce each time. I went from supplimenting 3oz a day to having enough for baby and freezing 3oz a day. But everyone is different. The downside... Ya you smell like syrup. My baby's poop also turned runny which can be common for mom and baby. I'm in the process of trying to ween off of it. Here's a link to the kind I take.

https://www.diapers.com/p/natureswayfenugreekseedcaps61156

I'd also suggest making lactation cookies

https://www.drmomma.org/2010/08/lactationcookiesrecipeincreasing.html?m=1

Please follow the breastfeeding board. It is VERY helpful.
  • I started taking fenugreek as suggested by our pedi.

It doubled my supply after a week and now my supply has tripled from my original amounts. I definitely recommend it!

• imagemusicmomkb:
    Oh I didn't know there was a bf board! Hehe What you said helped but I'll post there too, thanks so much!!

Glad I could help! =)
  • I tried it and it didn't work for me. I had a lot working against it, though, having a preemie in the NICU. I didn't like the way it made me smell, but it wasn't a dealbreaker. I know people have had success with it, so I'd give it a try!.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Thanks for everyone's thoughts!
    My little guy I'd also a preemie nicu baby so I know how hard it is :

I think I'm going to try pumping more to see if I can get up my supply that way, and then if that doesn't work I'll give it a try...

Thanks again everyone!
    -KB
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"