Toddlers: 24 Months+

soda

Tonight DD took a bottle of soda from the frig and asked me for some, so for dinner I filled her sippy cup 1/4 of the way with soda.  When DH asked what she was drinking he flipped out.  We're pretty easy going so I was really surprised how he reacted.  At what age did you or will you give soda?  DD will be 3 in March
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group

Re: soda

• Buddy has had soda. In extreme moderation. My rule is though if they can't drink it from a glass they can't have it. (obviously age appropriate like if a 9mo can hold a glass they don't get soda) 

I would not have put soda in a sippy cup.

Also I have a rule that it has to be clear soda (sprite, 7up) or regular root beer.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagecmeon_the_water:
    I have a 5yo and a 3yo, and neither have had soda. We don't even do juice on a daily basis.

We don't do juice either, and when we do I fill the cup with water and splash it with juice.  I was just thinking for a once in a while treat it wasn't that bad. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • Loading the player...
  • DS has had a few sips of soda a handful of times. On his first bday, DH let him have a few sips as a treat and he has grabbed ours in a restaurant a few times and taken a sip or two, proclaimed it "yuck" and went back to milk. I think if it's a very rare treat and in small amounts, it's ok. DS drinks milk or water 99 of the time and I don't worry about a little juice or soda at a party.
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I won't be giving them soda at all. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If we're at a restaurant, he will get Sprite or lemonade, but the funny thing is he normally prefers water with a lemon in it. He is three and half, and I think in moderation it can be fine.

I would do no soda in sippies, only a big kid glass.
  • We don't keep soda in the house. As a result, both of my children have (surprisingly) no taste for it. 
  • Our kids are 6.5 and almost 4 and we haven't given them soda. They do occasionally get lemonade if we're out, but they don't like carbonated drinks and I see no reason to encourage it at this point. I also don't drink it and DH has a diet coke maybe once a week, so they aren't that exposed to it.
  • DH is the only one in the house that drinks soda.  So we only ever have diet coke in the house as far as soda is concerned and the kids know that it is his.  The rest of us drink mostly water and milk of course.  When they get juice it is diluted, but they don't get that daily.
  • If she asks to try soda once she is school aged, I'll probably let her try some in moderation, but not colas. Maybe sprite or something like that. My aunt went this route with her kids, and now as adults, they are not soda drinkers at all.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• I have allowed soda on very special occasions. The first time was a wedding last fall, when the girls were 4 and 2.5 and I let them get a shirley temple because their cousins (same ages as them) were. I've let them have it 2 or 3 times since. We never keep soda in the house, so they'll never have it at home or frequently and we very rarely eat out. I know my mom has let them have some when she takes them to the movies as well.

I don't allow caffeinated soda nor do I ever allow them to have artificial sweeteners at any time, but I have reached the point where I feel that sprite 2-3x a year won't kill them. Until last fall I was firmly in the "I'll never give them soda" camp, but decided that I was drinking all kinds of special treats that night too, they could have something special to mark the occasion.

Otherwise they get juice (1/4 juice, 3/4 water) with Sunday dinner and milk or water only at all other times.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We do not give soda, however the ILs have started to give DS soda in moderation, as a treat.  I am not happy about it, but they really water it down and don't give much, so I have just let it go.  They watch DS for us while we work.  If it were up to me, he would not get any. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image1026pumpkin:
    DS has had a few sips of soda a handful of times.  DS also says "yuck" and went back to milk. I think if it's a very rare treat and in small amounts, it's ok. DS drinks milk or water 99 of the time and I don't worry about a little juice or soda at a party.

This exactly. He's only tasted orange soda or sprite. He never had the dark sodas (Pepsi, Coke, RB), etc. 

• I gave DS1 7UP at a party a few months ago because that was what was offered and he hated it.  He did have a kiddie cocktail this summer though.  that is is.  He is almost 5.  DS2 had a kiddie cocktail at the same time and hated it.  That is their only exposure to soda.  I see no reason to let them have it.  Pure sugar. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DD hasn't had it at our house. My mom accidentally let her have some- she took DD to lunch and DD asked for an orange drink. My mom assumed it was the orange soda, when in reality DD was asking for orange juice. I was surprised she drank it, but I figured the one time wouldn't kill her.
    imageimage
  • Ours are 3 1/2 and have not had soda except a sip of diet sprite when I was drinking it & they asked to try it- I knew they'd hate it so I gave a sip and after that they've never asked again. As for regular soda, I will probably give it to them someday in the future when they're out somewhere & see other kids eating it but I won't offer it up. For me growing up, it was a special occasion drink (bday parties, holidays, out to dinner maybe) and at home only on pizza night and I'll probably stick with that for my kids when they get older & want it.
  • My kids are 5.5 and 4.  They have yet to drink soda.  DS1 has sipped a bit here and there but doesn't like it.  He says it is 'spicy'.

I see zero reason to give a little kid/toddler soda.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • DS just turned 2 and he only drinks milk and water.  I don't plan on giving him soda for a long time and even then, it will be for special occasions.  He won't be drinking soda at home.   I never had soda as a kid growing up, except when we went out for dinner or at a birthday party, etc.   DH and I are big drinkers of carbonated water, so hopefully DS will be happy with that as a fizzy drink.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • She doesn't even get juice, so soda is out...  when she's in school I'd probably let her have some at birthday parties, but not often or much.

• I have no intention of letting them have soda.  Ha.  5, maybe?  I guess maybe if it is served at a friend party of something.  Ew.  I hate soda and loathe that DH drinks it.  
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • I'm trying to keep DD off of soda for as long as possible. 

DH and I are addicted to it, and it's so awful for you that I really don't want my kids to ever start the stuff.  I know they will eventually, but certainly not now.

I don't judge you for it though.  Every parent has certain things that are important to them more than others.... not drinking soda is important to me.

I guess I should lay off the stuff soon.  It's a little difficult to tell her to not drink any soda while I am.  :-/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
  • DD will be 3 next month.  She's tried soda once - we were at a party, and she wanted to try it.  She didn't like it at all, so that was the end of that.  DH and I are not soda drinkers, so we just don't have it around the house.  DD understands "grown-up drinks" - coffee, alcohol, tea, etc., so I don't mind including soda in that category if she ever wants it.
  • DS1 is 3 and has never had soda. We don't keep any in the house and DS has never asked for any when we've been out. Like PP's I plan to keep my boys away from soda for as long as possible.

• I really have to watch...LO will drink anything...soda, milk, water, juice.  DH drinks MT. Dew like it's going out of style...so on occasaion she steasl the soda can and drinks from it.  She tries to be sneaky! ha ha She always asks for soda when she sees it and we tell her no 99 percent of the time.

I did give her a little glass of it at x-mas b/c she asked for it....it was just a little and i told her that's was all she was getting............then at restuarants she gets sips of ours.  I try to it in moderation the best I can.

• I'm not going to flame you, because I think once or twice isn't a big deal. I've only put it in a sippy (Sprite) once, because DS was sick and wouldn't eat anything.

I honestly hope he never drinks it on a regular basis. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD1 was 5 or 5.5 yrs when she had orange soda. I think we offered her Sprite once at 4 yrs at a baseball game because there were no other options, but she didn't like it.

DD2 is 2.5 yrs and hasn't had more than a sip from my soda. She didn't like it.

I wouldn't put soda in a sippy cup or offer it on a regular basis until... maybe the teen years. Idk. It's not really good for anyone, so I'd rather it not be something we drink at home.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • My oldest had one sip of the "blue drink" (sprite and I think blue raspberry syrup) at Friendly's when he was 6 1/2 and hated it.  I have no intentions of giving them soda anytime soon.  Most of the time the kids drink water, with the occasional milk, juice or lemonade.   They are happy with those choices, DH and I both drink soda (probably 1 can a day) and tell the kids when they are older they can have it.. I just don't know when "older" will be.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Grace has soda on rare/special circumstances.  Like last night we went out w/ friends for our big annual NYE dinner and she got a kiddie soda.  We do a taco picnic just me and her once a month and we usually share a soda.  She probably tasted a soda around 18 months.  She gets so little of it I really don't think it's a big deal.
    BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • imageMammaBear81:
    My oldest had one sip of the "blue drink" (sprite and I think blue raspberry syrup) at Friendly's when he was 6 1/2 and hated it. 

HAHA!  I worked at Friendly's for 10+ years during and after college.  I hated those blue and red drinks.  It blew my mind when parents would order them for their kids.

BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • We don't even keep pop in the house, and DS definitely hasn't had it. I'm not sure when we will allow it as a treat in a restaurant - but not for a long time.
  • DD has never had soda andi zero intention if letting her try wit anytime soon. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"