Preemies

36 week babies

I'm currently 35w 2d. I am on bed rest due to high blood pressure and see the doctor twice a week, get labs done twice weekly and have weekly BPPs. Today at my appt. the doctor said he doesn't think I'll go another week with how high my blood pressure is getting. I see him again on Monday and if it's high then too then they'll consult the perinatologist and if s/he recommends we'll induce. So I'm looking for those who've had babies at about 36 weeks and what your experience was. Thanks!

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
"On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: 36 week babies

• Experiences vary a lot. Many 36 weekers require no interventions, though. Your peri will help you know more. Did they say anything about IUGR or your LOs weight?
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)

• I had to have a c-section at 36 weeks due to a complete previa. I had both steroid shots for her lungs & she was still in the NICU for 11 days with lung problems. She was intubated for a couple days, then went to a high flow nasal cannula, and was gradually weaned off of everything. She had problems eating and maintaining her body temperature as well. The doctors told me that 90% of babies born at 36 weeks are fine so we were really surprised. The good part was that she made improvements every single day. My best friend also had her baby at 36 weeks and he was totally fine. Best of luck! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekatie4253:
    Experiences vary a lot. Many 36 weekers require no interventions, though. Your peri will help you know more. Did they say anything about IUGR or your LOs weight?

No, no mention of IUGR and when they do the BPPs I asked the tech if she could estimate baby's size and the tech said a growth scan wasn't ordered and it's not part of a BPP. I do find it weird that they aren't checking to make sure she's within the normal size range but they do measure my uterus every appt. (twice a week) and that seems to be steadily growing and they measure amniotic fluid during BPPs so maybe that's why?

I go back Monday and if it's decided not to induce me next week I will ask to have a growth scan done on Friday during my BPP as I have been wondering about it with everything I've read about PIH.

""No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside."
    "On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered "Life will never be the same." Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world." ~ Nancy Tillman Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I was induced just a few days shy of 36 due to pree. DS was 5lbs, 2oz and luckily did really well. No NICU time, he stayed one extra night than me for monitoring. He was jaundiced and was admitted overnight for the bililights. He also had a little trouble with temp regulation and was a very sleepy eater for a few weeks. Overall, we felt very lucky. Good luck!

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Mine was a 32 weeker, but I have a couple friends who went at 36wks, one was induced, the other went naturally with two different pregnancies, neither had problems aside from some treatment for jaundice, which seems to be the norm for even full term babies. Odds are in your favor for little to no nicu time if you go 36 wks, but I will keep you in tps that you can keep Lo cooking.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a C-section at 36 weeks exactly. My daughter was born at 4 pounds 14 ounces. I also had PIH. We spent 2 weeks in the NICU. Abigail had problems keeping her body temp up and feeding issues.
    Jennifer
    My Bio image 228 Invited so far! image 143 Are ready to party!
    image 74 Will be missing out image 11 need to make up their minds
  • My water broke at 36w and my LO was born at 36w1d.  She weighed 5lb2oz and we were really fortunate that she needed no nicu time.  She was even able to room in with us our entire hospital stay and was discharged with us.  She did have to pass a carseat test before being discharged and we had to go in for extra weight and bilirubin checks.  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DD was a 36 weeker. She did really well overall- was small but tough. She did develop jaundice pretty quickly and her bili levels got high fast. It's more of a concern in little/early babies so she had to be admitted to the special care nursery and stayed there for 4-5 days after I was discharged. 

Oh, she was a VERY sleepy eater and it was quite an ordeal to get her to nurse for the first few weeks but she did not have breathing issues which was great.  

• I was induced with my son at 36 weeks due to high BP. Labor went normally and he was a whopping 7lbs 9 0z and 21 1/2 inches! The only problems we had were with feeding (he was a very lazy eater and we had to force him to want to eat) and jaundice. His billiruben rose very quickly and he had to be under lights for a few days before we got to go home. Once home, we went to our local hospital and had his levels checked. They had sky rocketed over night, so as a precaution we were sent back to the hospital where he was under lights for a few more days. It scared me but was really not a HUGE deal, just a precaution for us. He is now a happy and healthy 10 month old.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I was on bedrest for 4 months because of an incompetent cervix and went into labor at 36 weeks and 2 days. My baby was 6 pounds and 3 ounces. I had been given steroid shots at 26 weeks so his lungs were in great shape as made evident by his loud scream. He spent five days in the NICU only because I had a fever after he was born that would not go down and that was an indication of an infection so they needed to administer antibiotics to him just in case I did have an infection and passed it on to him. But other than that , he was perfect ! The time in the NICU wasn't easy because once they are in there, it's never just one thing they are monitoring. Suddenly everything becomes a point of concern and you end up never really knowing when your baby will come home and just hoping that they will say today is the day. But we made it and he's perfect and healthy and will be 8 weeks on MONday.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I had my boys at 35w2d.  They were 5.7 lbs and 5.14 lbs.  The only issue we had was they needed to learn how to suck-swallow-breathe.  They couldn't nurse and were barely able to take bottles.  They stayed in the SCN for 10 days to feed and grow.

MFI and (now) AMA
    IVF 1 April 2011 - Cancelled
    IVF 1.5 July 2011 - MC
    IVF 2 October 2011 - BFP!
    *Identical Twin Boys born June 2012*
    Here we go again...IVF 3 is underway!
  • I agree that experiences do vary a lot. I had my daughter at 35 and 6. My water broke on its own. I had high blood pressure (which was always better than what my doctor anticipated) and gestational diabetes. We went in on wednesday and had her thursday, she was wisked off to the NICU after my c-section because she was forgetting to breathe every 20 seconds or so. She only stayed in there for 8 days and progressed really well. It's really hard to say how your experience will go until you go through it. The best would be to ask your doctor if you have any concerns. Have they told you the babies lungs were developing good? I don't want to scare you with my experience, but as I said it's best to talk to your doctor and ask him how your baby is doing, as far as the lung development. If they have told you that your baby is doing good, you may have no complications at all. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • My little boy was born at 36 weeks exactly. He was 6lbs even and I had both steroid shots. We were really surprised that he had to go to the NICU fir breathing help. After 3 days he didn't need any more assistance breathing and was moved to the intermediate nursery for a round of antibiotics just in case he had any infections. After 7 days there we were able to come home and he is doing great. Only issue is breast feeding is still a little too much work for him so I am pumping and doing bottles.
    TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"