Parenting

Re: Sandy Hook Lawsuit. Discuss?

• To sum it up:

Pinsky said the student has been traumatized by the killings, and accused the state of failing to protect students from 'foreseeable harm.'

Pinsky said he hopes to review the evidence and prove that the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary were foreseeable.

'Usually a fellow like Adam Lanza would have been known as a potential problem to the police,' Pinsky said.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageeddy321:

Honestly, I think this is ridiculous.  Everyone involved in a tragedy like that is going to be traumatized.  Half of America was traumatized, and unless there was some serious wrong-doing on the part of the school officials, there isn't any need for a lawsuit.

I completely agree. I think this guy is the poster child for ambulance chaser. 

• Loading the player...
  • I didn't read the article, but I assumed this would happen. Anytime there is a death caused by anything but natural causes, there is usually a civil suit. Coming from experience, I can understand why families will be pursuing some monetary compensation. I'm just surprised something was filed so early. It takes time for the dust to settle and major discovery to be completed for the suit to be completed. I'm thinking it's just because the story is so public, they felt action needed to be taken asap.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• I wish the focus could remain on getting psychological help for the survivors and victims families and working together to ensure that these things don't happen to begin with.  

This is a stupid question, but where does that money come from?  If one person sues for that much money, wouldn't everyone in the school be entitled.  Are they trying to get the money from the school system?   

Overall, a really bad situation :( 

• imageLovesMM:
    imageeddy321:

Honestly, I think this is ridiculous.  Everyone involved in a tragedy like that is going to be traumatized.  Half of America was traumatized, and unless there was some serious wrong-doing on the part of the school officials, there isn't any need for a lawsuit.

I agree too. Foreseeable harm? Horseshit. $100mil is about the money and not about the specific victim. Compensation won't buy back innocence and childhood, and the culpable party isn't around to make restitiution. They'll all need therapy, no doubt, but this lawyer is making them look bad.
  • imagemarchbaby:

I wish the focus could remain on getting psychological help for the survivors and victims families and working together to ensure that these things don't happen to begin with.  

This is a stupid question, but where does that money come from?  If one person sues for that much money, wouldn't everyone in the school be entitled.  Are they trying to get the money from the school system?   

I believe they are trying to sue the state of CT not the actual school system. 

• imageLovesMM:
    imagemarchbaby:

I wish the focus could remain on getting psychological help for the survivors and victims families and working together to ensure that these things don't happen to begin with.  

Either way, blood from a stone. I understand why restitution would be possible, but I don't see how the state is liable. Is this because here is no one to sue?
  • Oh geez, I just looked at the article and saw the pictures of the lawyer...really?!   That lawyer screams ambulance chaser and quite frankly makes a mockery of the whole disaster.

After the shooting I read about families who lost children about how they don't blame the shooter, they forgive him etc. I was amazed at how strong they were, i'm not sure I could ever be so forgiving.  Now this man is out there looking to make money off the disaster after so many families lost their loved ones. So sad :(

• imagegimmietimmies:
    imageLovesMM:
    imagemarchbaby:

Either way, blood from a stone. I understand why restitution would be possible, but I don't see how the state is liable. Is this because here is no one to sue?

Oh I agree. Luckily the state of CT has a clause that says they can't just be sued the person has to be given permission to sue. I'm hoping that it is squashed and not given permission.

• imageLovesMM:
    imagegimmietimmies:
    imageLovesMM:
    imagemarchbaby:

Oh I agree. Luckily the state of CT has a clause that says they can't just be sued the person has to be given permission to sue. I'm hoping that it is squashed and not given permission.

I'm sure you're right, it'll be quashed. Do they have a victims fund in CT? We do, it's a general fund for victims of crime, funded in part by the government, or seized assets from crime proceeds. I hope there is some sort of assistance for those who need it.
  • Lame.  Its pretty sick to capitalize on a tragedy of this magnitude.  There was not gross negligence on the part of the police not was this foreseeable.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's disgusting and absurd.  If someone hasn't done something illegal, they're not known to police.  Having mental issues doesn't mean you're a criminal.  And even if someone IS known to police for whatever reason, it doesn't mean they will have a tail on that person 24/7 or can guess what their plans are every day and whether harm could come to the public.  Ridiculous.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imageLexiLupin:

They should sue the state and federal governments to actually get something done in regards to preventing this happening again, not for an arbitrary sum of money.

Can't we go back to rational lawsuits, like those pertaining to Janet Jackson's nipples?

I had to google that. Oh brother.

Id be petitioning for more mental health support for starters, but I think there are so many things that need fixing it'd be like sticking fingers in a leaky dike. 

• imageLexiLupin:
    imagegimmietimmies:
    imageLexiLupin:

Can't we go back to rational lawsuits, like those pertaining to Janet Jackson's nipples?

I had to google that. Oh brother.

The ultimate demonstration of what prudes Americans are-

You can show all kinds of absurd violence on television. Show a bare breast and our kids are traumatized for life.

Lol, totally. 
  • imageelmoali:
    It's disgusting and absurd.  If someone hasn't done something illegal, they're not known to police.  Having mental issues doesn't mean you're a criminal.  And even if someone IS known to police for whatever reason, it doesn't mean they will have a tail on that person 24/7 or can guess what their plans are every day and whether harm could come to the public.  Ridiculous.

This all sums up exactly how I feel about it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/60/2a/1e602a4261a90b9c761ebe748b780318.jpg    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/2c/07/472c076006afed606241716dd0db828a.jpg 
  • imageKlondikeBar:

imageelmoali:
    It's disgusting and absurd.  If someone hasn't done something illegal, they're not known to police.  Having mental issues doesn't mean you're a criminal.  And even if someone IS known to police for whatever reason, it doesn't mean they will have a tail on that person 24/7 or can guess what their plans are every day and whether harm could come to the public.  Ridiculous.

I mean come on.  Someone is going to argue that it was foreseeable that a crazy person would choose THAT school and efforts weren't made to prevent it?  My eyes are across the room because they fell out from rolling so hard.  A random guy SHOT his way into a locked school and adults died trying to protect those children.  I'd say they did all they could do in the situation. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imageLovesMM:

To sum it up:

Pinsky said the student has been traumatized by the killings, and accused the state of failing to protect students from 'foreseeable harm.'

Pinsky said he hopes to review the evidence and prove that the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary were foreseeable.

'Usually a fellow like Adam Lanza would have been known as a potential problem to the police,' Pinsky said.

That is absurd. Ridiculous, actually. Don't get me going on that shiit. 

And the farker got in before the security system was armed. This makes my heart hurt, and I don't even know anyone in Newtown.

Way to go, asswhipee.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLovesMM:
    imageeddy321:

Yes 

m/c 2013
  • imageelmoali:
    imageKlondikeBar:

imageelmoali:

I mean come on.  Someone is going to argue that it was foreseeable that a crazy person would choose THAT school and efforts weren't made to prevent it?  My eyes are across the room because they fell out from rolling so hard.  A random guy SHOT his way into a locked school and adults died trying to protect those children.  I'd say they did all they could do in the situation. 

Yeah, I just don't get it.  They may as well sue everyone he came in contact with for not having ESP.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/60/2a/1e602a4261a90b9c761ebe748b780318.jpg    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/2c/07/472c076006afed606241716dd0db828a.jpg 
  • I think the Lawsuit is a complete slap in the face to the parents who have lost their children, the parent that's suing should be ashamed of themselves, and that lawyer is a scum bag. 
  • The lawsuit is gross.

The reminder of the lawsuit pertaining to Janet Jackson's nipple is hilarious perfection.  Thanks, Lexi. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• I don't think it's about the money at all.  It's about a scumbag trying to soak up some publicity by attaching his name to a horrific tragedy and trying to capitalize on the death of children. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"