Cloth Diapering

Detergent?

I'm new to the cloth diapering world, and I was wondering what laundry detergent do ya'll use? I'm looking for the most inexpensive option, but at the same time I don't want to ruin my diapers or have repelling problems. I'm using bum genius freetimes, and I know their website says not to use just any old detergent. How much truth is there to that? Oh and I don't have a HE washer, so that's not a factor. Thanks in advance!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Detergent?

• you can't use any detergent because it causes build-up over time on your diapers and you will need to strip them.

I use Tiny Bubbles which is popular on here and can be bought through Costco for 8-10/box in sets of 6.

Some people use Tide ultra and have luck with that, but I didn't like it because it's scented (and I could never tell if it was the perfume or if my diapers weren't clean) and DD was sensitive to it.

You only should use a tiny amount of detergent and no fabric softeners

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We use soap nuts which doesn't cause any build up at all. We LOVE them.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was wondering that too, I am looking at getting Bum Genuis too. DH has sensitive skin so we use costco perfume and dye free can this be used for cloth diapers? 
    Me: 31 DH: 33 Married : 12 Years going on 16 years together TTC since 9/2001 11/2012 100 MG Clomid 12/2012 200 MG Clomid: IUI 12/26 2 Week Wait Praying for a miracle
  • I would go with Tide powder.

Here is a good blog post on diaper washing & care:

https://www.cloththatcounts.com/?p=997

• We use Dropps. I've also converted a few of my friends who have had issues with many of the other "cloth diaper friendly" detergents.
    Jenn & Jason
    September 27, 2008
  • imagejenn1981:
    We use Dropps. I've also converted a few of my friends who have had issues with many of the other "cloth diaper friendly" detergents.

I just bought a 3 pack.

You have no had any issues with build-up? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedande2129:

imagejenn1981:
    We use Dropps. I've also converted a few of my friends who have had issues with many of the other "cloth diaper friendly" detergents.

I just bought a 3 pack.

You have no had any issues with build-up? 

No issues at all! I actually use two packs in each wash load (on the extra large water setting) because I felt like my diapers were still slightly smelly with just one. WIth the extra rinse, all the soap definitely rinses out, so I'm never really concerned with build up or anything. I also bleach with 1/4 cup once a month just becase it makes me feel better :) I really love dropps though and haven't had to ever switch or use anything else! Amazon has some great prices sometimes, otherwise I usually buy it from Target when they have coupons!

Jenn & Jason
    September 27, 2008
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"