Babies: 0 - 3 Months

"refer" result on both hearing tests...anyone else?

So, at birth, all babies in my state are given a hearing test. My DS "referred" on the test in his left ear, which means his auditory response didn't meet the test's expectations. They scheduled him a re-test after one week, which he also referred in his left ear. Now we have an appointment to meet with our pediatrician to schedule a diagnostic test with an ENT doctor.

Although I'm not a doctor, I don't think my baby has complete hearing loss in that ear, because he will look at me if I talk to him on that side (and I'm out of sight). The nurse also did tell us that with no family history of hearing loss, it's most likely that he just has fluid or debris in that ear from birth.

Has anyone else had this happen and their baby's hearing is just fine now? I'm just really anxious about that something could be actually wrong with his hearing...

Damon & Alaric Icon Pictures, Images and PhotosCute icon Pictures, Images and PhotosDaisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: "refer" result on both hearing tests...anyone else?

• I am a teacher of the deaf and will tell you that many times even pedis don't understand the possible ramifications of hearing loss in children. An ENT is a good place to start to see if there's any fluid. Even if the ENT gives the all clear you need to find a pediatric audiologist, not a regular one. Calling a regular one and asking if they work with children doesn't count. PLEASE find a pediatric one. 

Most hearing losses happen in families with no history. Very few cases are genetic, so that's a moot point.

It's unlikely that he has a complete loss because he can localize sound. people with unilateral deafness cannot do that.  However, he is attending to your voice for several reasons: at this age you are probably still talking to him pretty close to his face, which changes how loud you sound to him, therefore it kind of 'tricks' us into thinking he is hearing more than he really can. Secondly, even if you are talking on his left side, his right side continues to pick up the sound, therefore it can be difficult to really ascertain if he has a hearing loss without further testing.

Get evaluated by an ENT and a pediatric audiologist.  If they are any good they will also ask you to re-evaulate him in 3-6 months. 

imageimageimage"Image">image
  • That's what we are planning on doing. Our pediatrician is going to call Carolina Medical Center in Charlotte and set up a diagnostic test so we know for certain.

I just feel like we've been through a lot with our little one and I hate the thought of him having to go through much more, but I know it's for his own good. Hopefully it'll go well. We will see in a week, I suppose.

Thanks for your input and advice :]

Damon & Alaric Icon Pictures, Images and PhotosCute icon Pictures, Images and PhotosDaisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"